Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The End Of The Line
Date: February 19, 2013 05:11

It was exactly 10 years ago tonight that I was up late channel surfing and ran across a re-play of the Stones 2003 HBO concert. I was blown away! I had paid little attention to the Rolling Stones since the early 70's. They had been one of my favorite bands in the 60's. I had all of their early albums. Satanic was my favorite then, as it is today. But it was their live performances (beginning with the HBO concert of 2003 ten years ago tonight) that won me back. I purchased 'Four Flicks' as soon as it was available and spent many a late night from 2003 forward with two of my favorite companions, red wine, and the Rolling Stones. In 2006 I attended my first Stones concert. It was a blast; too loud, but a blast. As soon as 'The Biggest Bang' DVD was available, I purchased it and began playing it, endlessly. Soon, 'Shine A Light' arrived in theaters - I saw it on IMAX. Of course, I bought the DVD. After that, I purchased every available DVD I could find of the Stones, including documentaries. I also purchased just about every one of their albums ever produced right through GRRR. The Stones had definitely hooked me. I became more than a fan - I became a fanatic, just like most of you. I just couldn't get enough of the Stones. Sometime in 2010 I discovered this forum and joined up. I realized then that I had a serious addiction. Many times I tried to quit, but it was hopeless. I would always end up right back here posting again, sometimes with a new identity. These last three years have been full of excitement and high drama as we anticipated the Stones coming back for one more shot. Nobody knew for certain, but many of us were hopeful. And it came to pass - seven fantastic shows, and two new "killer" songs. We even got to see the return of Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor. I couldn't have dreamed a much better ending for 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time' - maybe a new album. I am satisfied. I could ask for more, but I think that would be greedy. I have decided that tonight is the perfect night to end my career as a Stones fanatic - ten years to the night that it all began for me. My plan is to watch the 2003 MSG HBO concert three times, just like I did ten years ago on this very night. Tomorrow, I begin my new life, as a mere fan - no longer a fanatic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 05:13 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Re: The End Of The Line
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:20

I begin my new life, as a mere fan - no longer a fanatic

Ha Ha, we will see you back here tomorrow (bright and early)drinking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:29

Them Traveling Wilbury's were so over/under/sideways/down rated...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:58

Well, you'll miss you.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 19, 2013 07:46

I can't imagine you as a mere fan - or even as a mere fanatic, because being OTT is what you're all about. If you're planning to stay around it will be interesting to meet your new moderate self. Or are you leaving in a ball of smoke and a great explosion?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:25

I sense another farewell thread....

'Our revels now are ended'

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

William Shakespeare
From The Tempest, Act 4 Scene 1

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:26

And now I say with sorrow, until this time tomorrow
We'll bid you a fond "adieu"...On with the show, good health to you
............................................................................. On with the Show - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:41

JumpinJackOLantern
It was exactly 10 years ago tonight that I was up late channel surfing and ran across a re-play of the Stones 2003 HBO concert. I was blown away! I had paid little attention to the Rolling Stones since the early 70's. They had been one of my favorite bands in the 60's. I had all of their early albums. Satanic was my favorite then, as it is today. But it was their live performances (beginning with the HBO concert of 2003 ten years ago tonight) that won me back. I purchased 'Four Flicks' as soon as it was available and spent many a late night from 2003 forward with two of my favorite companions, red wine, and the Rolling Stones. In 2006 I attended my first Stones concert. It was a blast; too loud, but a blast. As soon as 'The Biggest Bang' DVD was available, I purchased it and began playing it, endlessly. Soon, 'Shine A Light' arrived in theaters - I saw it on IMAX. Of course, I bought the DVD. After that, I purchased every available DVD I could find of the Stones, including documentaries. I also purchased just about every one of their albums ever produced right through GRRR. The Stones had definitely hooked me. I became more than a fan - I became a fanatic, just like most of you. I just couldn't get enough of the Stones. Sometime in 2010 I discovered this forum and joined up. I realized then that I had a serious addiction. Many times I tried to quit, but it was hopeless. I would always end up right back here posting again, sometimes with a new identity. These last three years have been full of excitement and high drama as we anticipated the Stones coming back for one more shot. Nobody knew for certain, but many of us were hopeful. And it came to pass - seven fantastic shows, and two new "killer" songs. We even got to see the return of Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor. I couldn't have dreamed a much better ending for 'The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time' - maybe a new album. I am satisfied. I could ask for more, but I think that would be greedy. I have decided that tonight is the perfect night to end my career as a Stones fanatic - ten years to the night that it all began for me. My plan is to watch the 2003 MSG HBO concert three times, just like I did ten years ago on this very night. Tomorrow, I begin my new life, as a mere fan - no longer a fanatic.

I think you're going to find out you can't end you career as a fanatic.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 19, 2013 09:11

they allways pull me back in drinking smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 19, 2013 09:22

2000 LYFH

Great line.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:37

Wow hard to imagine that newer footage making somebody a fanatic. No offense of course, but though I've seen plenty of it, I haven't watched the Stones past 1982 in years except maybe a video or a short clip.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:21

mikeeder
I haven't watched the Stones past 1982 in years except maybe a video or a short clip.

and even that was on accident...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:30

JumpinJackOLantern
I'm confused. What does all this have to do with the Sons of Beatles?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:13

Who will be the new spiritual leader of IORR now?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:17

why dp people keep talking about it ending? I don't understand. It doesn't have to end. the Stones are still better than any band.

Date: February 19, 2013 18:25

More Hot Rocks
why dp people keep talking about it ending? I don't understand. It doesn't have to end. the Stones are still better than any band.

All Things Must Pass

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 19, 2013 21:35

GRNRBITW
More Hot Rocks

All Things Must Pass

None of lifes strings can last......

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2013 21:47

GRNRBITW
More Hot Rocks

All Things Must Pass

That certainly goes for Kidney Stones as well as Rolling Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2013 21:48

BlackHat
GRNRBITW
More Hot Rocks

All Things Must Pass

None of lifes strings can last......

I had always wondered what 'String Theory' was...thanks for that.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:08

More Hot Rocks

I agree More Hot Rocks, it's a bit depressing and maudlin IMO.

Quit crying in your beer, get a grip, get a LIFE!!!hot smiley

Date: February 19, 2013 22:12

latebloomer
More Hot Rocks

IORR will be offering counseling sessions (on a sliding scale) on learning how to "let go" as soon as BV secures funding.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:28

I became a fanatic, just like most of you.

Who? Me..........

Date: February 20, 2013 00:39

2000 LYFH
I begin my new life, as a mere fan - no longer a fanatic

Good line, and yes you will, but no longer as a fanatic.

Date: February 20, 2013 00:40

24FPS
Well, you'll miss you.

Sometimes, I need a break from myself.

Date: February 20, 2013 00:43

mikeeder
Wow hard to imagine that newer footage making somebody a fanatic. No offense of course, but though I've seen plenty of it, I haven't watched the Stones past 1982 in years except maybe a video or a short clip.

Well, then, you have denied yourself some great performances.

Date: February 20, 2013 01:40

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I'm confused. What does all this have to do with the Sons of Beatles?

The Stones are just about history. My "usefulness" to the Stones as a "fanatic" has passed. I have done everything in my power (by relentless posting here) to attempt to motivate them to see the importance of producing one last great album. Even Steven Van Zandt "challenged" them a few years back. It's now in their court. The hardcore fan base has spoken. No matter what the outcome is I will always be a fan, however, if they continue doing live shows without producing a new album then my interest in them will be lessened significantly.

Sons of the Beatles? It is soon to become my new passion! Can't wait to get started! James McCartney is the key here. He has already hinted he wants it to happen someday. Beatles fanatics need to be relentless, just like the Stones fanatics were!

Date: February 20, 2013 01:56

GRNRBITW
latebloomer
More Hot Rocks

IORR will be offering counseling sessions (on a sliding scale) on learning how to "let go" as soon as BV secures funding.

If they choose not to produce new music then the "letting go" will be made much easier. At least for me. As long as they are producing new music I will remain interested.

Date: February 20, 2013 02:28

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
latebloomer
More Hot Rocks

If they choose not to produce new music then the "letting go" will be made much easier. At least for me. As long as they are producing new music I will remain interested.

1 new album and 6 other new songs in 16 years constitutes "still producing?" oh, my....

Date: February 20, 2013 02:30

Green Lady
I can't imagine you as a mere fan - or even as a mere fanatic, because being OTT is what you're all about. If you're planning to stay around it will be interesting to meet your new moderate self. Or are you leaving in a ball of smoke and a great explosion?

I like the idea of going out in a blaze of glory. If the Stones produce a new album then that will be the closest I can come to doing so. I have always said I couldn't see myself hanging around once the Stones are done. If they decide not to produce a new album then they are done (in my mind) for all intents and purposes.

Date: February 20, 2013 02:31

Rockman

And now I say with sorrow, until this time tomorrow
We'll bid you a fond "adieu"...On with the show, good health to you
............................................................................. On with the Show - Jagger/Richards

Great pic!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home