Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Question for ELO fans...
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:22

OK so all my life I've kinda dug ELO. But I never owned any ELO albums. I am among the rare types that still buys cds, so my question is this: If I were to buy a compilation album, which best-of should I get? I know Jeff Lynne re-recorded a bunch of songs a few years ago and he did a decent job, but are they as good as the originals? There is one of those "playlist" best-of albums for sale at my local record store for $5.99, but maybe the sound is compromised? Or, should I just download a bunch of tunes (I prefer cds to mp3s, but I do listen to stuff on my iPad from time to time). So what should I do??? Any advice from an ELO fan is appreciated! Thankyouvurrymuch.

Re: OT: Question for ELO fans...
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:46

I'm in a similar boat as you. I really like ELO, but I know one album. Eldorado. An incredible album and for some reason its just the only one by them I know all of. After that, I know the hits and basically 2 to 3 songs off each album. What I have is the Afterglow box set, which is 3 discs and very well done. However, thats a bit excessive if you just want to start getting into them. Not that its expensive, but its a hefty purchase when you could most likely get a best of disc and be pretty set.

Jeff Lynne actually JUST re-recorded all those songs, so its very new. And to my knowledge, all the tracks pretty much sound the same. I respect him for doing it if thats how he wants to spend his time, but its largely unnecessary. Don't get that, you're better off with the originals, which are either identical or better.

From quick research, these seem to be the two best compilations out there:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

I suggest these because they include some early stuff, which I think is essential with ELO. Stuff like 10538 Overture, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Get It Out Of My Head, and Ma Ma Ma Belle belong on their greatest hits. I think the first discs of both of these are excellent. I recommend the first compilation (2011 edition) as I like the songs picked alittle better, although I'll say I think the second disc is almost unnecessary but thats mainly because I don't know more than 7 songs on it. The second compilation is really good too it looks like. Cuts out some key songs IMO, but it makes the two discs more listenable and then cuts out most of the stuff I would cut from the second disc of the first compilation. There isn't almost a full CD of unnecessary material IMO.

And then having said all of this, if you enjoy them, you should seek out their full albums. I hear stuff like Discovery and Out Of The Blue are supposed to be great, I just haven't listened to them in full yet. But definitely they seem like a band where you could have a greatest hits collection and have most of what you need. If you are ok with spending more, I would say take Afterglow box set over those compilations, but as an introduction either of those compilations work well.

Date: February 17, 2013 04:38

Nice assessment. Thank you, RF. Those are among the comps I have considered...

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: February 17, 2013 09:59

I had a couple of the later ELO albums on vinyl (Out Of The Blue & Discovery) when I was young (seems like a long time ago now !) and I was keen to get some more of the early material. I took the plunge and bought "The Classic Album Collection" - 11 CD's in card sleeves in a big card box. This is the entire studio output except for Xanadu. All of these are the remastered versions with bonus tracks and I picked up my copy for about £20. Amazon uk has it for less than £25. Get this and make your own "best of compilation" as everybody has their own favourite tracks.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 17, 2013 11:05

Most of the 2 CD jobs are very good. Flashback is excellent and it is 3 CDs

[en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 17, 2013 11:14

rpc2uk is right on, get the box and decide for yourself. Great band, top sounds , I saw them live in the 70's and still enjoy Jeff Lynn today. Give your ears a treat!

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 17, 2013 12:11

If you find "Light years" (the very best of ELO) 2 CD so good ..
Don't forget "xanadu"
and "Mr blue sky" (covered by himself Jeff Lyne) to compare.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 17, 2013 12:23

Such a deal...

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 17, 2013 20:37

IORR............but I like it!

Date: February 17, 2013 21:08

Excellent advice, all. So great to have a worldwide resource of trusted music fans like iorr to seek advice from! I am going to look for the box. Amazon U.S. has it out of stock, but I will look into ordering it from my local shop nearby. If that ends up being too much, I like the 3 cd option Braincapers mentions...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 17, 2013 21:27

Tate
Excellent advice, all. So great to have a worldwide resource of trusted music fans like iorr to seek advice from! I am going to look for the box. Amazon U.S. has it out of stock, but I will look into ordering it from my local shop nearby. If that ends up being too much, I like the 3 cd option Braincapers mentions...

One reason why I mentioned it is that most 2CD jobs use single versions and the full length 10538 Overture and Roll over Beethoven in particular are well worth having.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 19, 2013 16:44

Braincapers
Most of the 2 CD jobs are very good. Flashback is excellent and it is 3 CDs

[en.wikipedia.org])

Can't believe that doesn't contain Fire on High.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:35

I think you should buy and listen to the album A New World Record. It's kind of an best of-album in itself, all songs are excellent written pop songs.
Then you could continue with Face The Music and Out of The Blue which is almost just as good.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:49

I was never much of an ELO fan back in the day, and I think some of Jeff Lynne's production is horrible - particularly how he makes drums boring (see Tom Petty, Traveling Wilburys). I think they were the first group caught performing over a backing track at live shows, if I am not mistaken.

BUT ELO had some catchy tunes, and Jeff Lynne was obviously respected by many other musicians. There is a very good show on him that has been playing on Palladia in the states called: Mr Blue Sky. They were running commercials during the program from an ELO greatest hits that featured Jeff playing everything, re-recorded in his home studio, with modern production

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:35

ELO is a fave of mine. From ELO II through Out of the Blue they were as hot as any act....

Posted by: varv ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:06

Good advice from all the above but compilations aside I think "On The Third Day" is by far the best album they ever made.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:15

Afterglow is a great box set. Three discs and it has most of their hits plus album tracks and b sides.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:05

I bought the best of LP somewhere in the 70's never play it since then.... I still like some of the tunes

Quote from John Lennon: If the Beatles still exits how would they sound...John:...... probably like ELO

Maybe the most Beatle sound they ever made................or copied

Date: February 19, 2013 22:21

NICOS
I bought the best of LP somewhere in the 70's never play it since then.... I still like some of the tunes

Quote from John Lennon: If the Beatles still exits how would they sound...John:...... probably like ELO

Maybe the most Beatle sound they ever made................or copied

Definitely a Beatles influence; not sure they 'copied' to the extent someone such as Oasis did.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:23

FrankM
Afterglow is a great box set. Three discs and it has most of their hits plus album tracks and b sides.

I just don't know how they could omit Fire on High from a boxset.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:26

buffalo7478
I was never much of an ELO fan back in the day, and I think some of Jeff Lynne's production is horrible - particularly how he makes drums boring (see Tom Petty, Traveling Wilburys). I think they were the first group caught performing over a backing track at live shows, if I am not mistaken.

BUT ELO had some catchy tunes, and Jeff Lynne was obviously respected by many other musicians. There is a very good show on him that has been playing on Palladia in the states called: Mr Blue Sky. They were running commercials during the program from an ELO greatest hits that featured Jeff playing everything, re-recorded in his home studio, with modern production

Yeah, was like their 2nd to last tour with Lynne that they were caught with some prerecorded music. Was somewhat of a scandal back then.

Funny start to their St. Louis show on the very last tour with Lynn, this little robot is supposed to come out and turn and announce the band. Well the thing turns and promptly falls off a step, a couple guys run out and pick up the pieces. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:33

kovach
FrankM

I just don't know how they could omit Fire on High from a boxset.

I'm not really a huge ELO fan (I just have Afterglow and another greatest hits album) so I don't know that song off the top of my head but artists are always pulling some kind of shenanigans with box sets. I bought a Billy Joel box set once and one of his best songs was missing. I think they do that so you have to buy at least two albums to get all the stuff you want even if you buy a three disc box set.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:43

I have always loved ELO ... I remember having the Living Thing 7" single as a kid. I have all their albums on mp3s ... there are several songs that I love that don't make the compilation albums, such as Fire On High, and Last Train To London. So I make my own compilation playlist...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 19, 2013 23:47

LeonidP
I have always loved ELO ... I remember having the Living Thing 7" single as a kid. I have all their albums on mp3s ... there are several songs that I love that don't make the compilation albums, such as Fire On High, and Last Train To London. So I make my own compilation playlist...

Love Fire On High....but is that a song? Can something be called a song if it's an instrumental?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 19, 2013 23:49

BluzDude
LeonidP

Love Fire On High....but is that a song? Can something be called a song if it's an instrumental?

Would you rather call it an iceberg?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:06

GRNRBITW
BluzDude
LeonidP

Would you rather call it an iceberg?

...sure, why not? Iceberg, Goldberg, Rosenberg, any of those would work out just fine.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:06

Jeff has re-recorded the best of ELO from scratch and is set to release it as a greatest hits... Seems like a silly idea.. [www.tapeop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 00:09 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:57

Sounding a bit like Sweet on this track, here's a guitar-heavy deep cut from their 1975 Face The Music album [though when the song slows down for a bit at 1:35, they sound a bit like The Bee Gees]:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home