Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Zero Dark Thirty
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 17, 2013 00:35

Is it worth a visit? It recieved quite good reviews here in Sweden and I was thinking about making a visit to a cinema near me. Should I?

Re: OT: Zero Dark Thirty
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 17, 2013 00:37

Don't let anyone spoil the ending for you... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2013 00:40

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 17, 2013 01:19

I haven't seen it yet, but if I don't get to it before it leaves the theaters, I'm sure I'll catch it on HBO. The film has gotten very good reviews but is a bit controversial here in the US.

Don't want to get into the politics zone here and I'm not going to give my opinion, but here are the two big issues.

First, the CIA is under scrutiny for providing secret information used in the plot of the movie, and second, some say Zero Dark Thirty appears to justify the use of waterboarding on terrorists to extract information. Some view waterboarding as a form of torture, some say it is necessary to fight terrorism.

All this means is that if the film wins best picture at the Oscars, there will be some grumbling because of it's content. I doubt anyone will complain if Jessica Chastain wins best actress.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 17, 2013 01:33

Thanks for your advice. Even though we know the ending I will still, most probably, go and see it. By the way, it's now zero dark thirty in Sweden!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 17, 2013 01:57

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:06

I liked it, may be a bit slow for some, based on a true story so they have taken some liberties with the truth. It has the usual hollywood crap, all the top brass are idiots but along comes the lowely researcher that will not take no for an answer and never gives up, you know the drill.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:19

I thought it was a brilliant film, even if controversial. I very much want to see it again.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:30

I'm seeing it tomorrow and looking forward to it. One of the last Oscar movies I need to see, and only seeing it this late because I knew it would be in the movies for awhile. Looks good and the criticism is probably unnecessary. Don't expect it to be my favorite movie in the Oscar race, but assume it will be very very good.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:41

Great film! One of the top five of the year. Well worth your time.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:19

I read where some of the intelligence agencies in the US called it flawed and
inaccurate, which leads me to believe it is probably accurate.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:33

Yeah I believe to make the movie characters were condensed and abbreviated. Another good film that was made by National Geographic Network is Code Geronimo: Navy SEAL Team 6. Pretty good. But, like Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty is a great character study of morality, duality, and perseverance. Some great acting, and provocative concepts of good vs. evil. Very well done film.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 18, 2013 16:46

Good movie but should be a law against any film going over 90 mins

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 18, 2013 17:15

Shoulda been about 41 minutes shorter, but most movies shoulda

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 18, 2013 18:48

I wonder if this CIA agent (named Larry Mitchell) was featured in the movie... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 18, 2013 18:59

waterboarding is a form of torture.
There is no question about it - I havent seen the film yet, I will...If it justifies torture than it's load of crap, bollocks and shize,

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 18, 2013 19:06

lapaz62
I liked it, may be a bit slow for some, based on a true story so they have taken some liberties with the truth. It has the usual hollywood crap, all the top brass are idiots but along comes the lowely researcher that will not take no for an answer and never gives up, you know the drill.
That was pretty much my take on it as well. A little slow moving. The torture scenes were'nt very graphic at all. I've seen Jack Bauer do worse.I did like the way they chronicled the chase for Bin Laden. Some Hollywood liberties for sure. But you have to rememeber it's not a documentary either.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 18, 2013 19:06

Go see it. It is excellent. The politics? Do not let that interfere with seeing a very good flim. Although I will add that some Hollywood people urged other academy award members not to vote for it because of the flims 'politics.'

I find that stupid. It is kind of like saying do not go see the excellent German film Downfall because it is about @#$%& and the Third Rech's final hours: Don't vote for Bruno Ganz for best actor because he portrayed @#$%&!

Just stupid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 06:18 by deadegad.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: February 20, 2013 03:14

Very well-done film - the only public figure portrayed in the film is Leon Panetta, played by James Gandolfini - with the full glasses and comb-over - nailed the look - serious part but I thought it was hilarious. James sounding pretty much like Tony Soprano and it worked ...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 20, 2013 03:37

seitan
There is no question about it - I havent seen the film yet, I will...If it justifies torture than it's load of crap, bollocks and shize,

Is ripping out fingernails, breaking appendages and drilling through skulls considered torture? Yes? Then water-boarding is the diet coke of torture.

P.O.W. go through much worse than water-boarding. This torture/anti-torture stuff has gotten out of hand. Put it in perspective people.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2013 13:53

go see the movie .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:06

flacnvinyl
seitan

Is ripping out fingernails, breaking appendages and drilling through skulls considered torture? Yes? Then water-boarding is the diet coke of torture.

P.O.W. go through much worse than water-boarding. This torture/anti-torture stuff has gotten out of hand. Put it in perspective people.

OK: in perspective, ripping out fingernails etc is worse, but waterboarding is still bad. And the old kid's argument that THEY started it doesn't make it any better.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:25

flacnvinyl
seitan

How do you know that CIA and MI6 haven't used far worse methods than waterboarding on their prisoners? We were shipping people off to black sites in some of the world's scummiest s*** holes for proxy torture (maybe we still are). We can't expect our enemies to treat our people any better when we don't practise what we preach.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 20, 2013 15:54

Father Ted
We can't expect our enemies to treat our people any better when we don't practise what we preach.

Islamic terrorists have kidnapped and murdered Christian missionaries, who my family knew, in the middle east. They certainly had no intention to torture in any form.

Your expectations of the enemy are unreasonable. They respond to anything foreign with complete evil.

Think of it the same way you do of the right wing inbred mountain redneck racist "conservatives". No amount of practice what you preach will make them tolerant of others. And when they drag a young black man behind a car I don't hear many folks who want to have out hugs.

It's not about who started it.. It's about good guys with guns vs bad guys with guns. You just prefer fast quick kills to slow bullets

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:30

Father Ted
flacnvinyl
seitan

How do you know that CIA and MI6 haven't used far worse methods than waterboarding on their prisoners? We were shipping people off to black sites in some of the world's scummiest s*** holes for proxy torture (maybe we still are). We can't expect our enemies to treat our people any better when we don't practise what we preach.

Let's put all this in perspective, shall we:
- Nothing makes torture, any kind of torture or murder Ok. This talk of " waterboarding is like diet coke of" is total rubbish. Stupid argument, It's never Ok. I have zero tolarance for stupidity and torture.
Yes - I'm sure CIA and MI6 have used far worse methods than waterboarding - but so what ??? - that doesnt make it OK. There is no good torture. It's never OK.

So put that in perspective - Every form of torture is a crime against humanity.
And yes USA is shipping people off to black sites in some of the world's scummiest s*** holes for torture. It's a disgrace, shame and against the human rights. There's plenty of evidence for that, all you need to do is check out Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch websites, etc etc...and you will find plenty of information about American crimes against humanity.
Waterboarding is still torture,and there is no question about it.

There's pleanty of American leaders who should be put in trial for crimes against humanity just like your Gaddafi's, Saddam Husseins, or Osama Bin Ladens ( no trial for Osama - that's another shameful american act, I dont miss Osama Bin Laden- I'm happy that he's gone, but there should have been trial, instead of just murdering him on foreign soil) - We could start with Henry Kissinger - war criminal. He should be one of the first former American leaders arrested for crimes against humanity. He's scum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 16:42 by seitan.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:50

I saw it but I don't find it good. It's interesting...for several reasons.
If you really wanna see a really good film...go see Amour. And The Master. And Jagten.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 20, 2013 18:39

seitan
Father Ted
flacnvinyl
seitan

- Nothing makes torture, any kind of torture or murder Ok. This talk of " waterboarding is like diet coke of" is total rubbish. Stupid argument, It's never Ok. I have zero tolarance for stupidity and torture.
Yes - I'm sure CIA and MI6 have used far worse methods than waterboarding - but so what ??? - that doesnt make it OK. There is no good torture. It's never OK.

And yes USA is shipping people off to black sites in some of the world's scummiest s*** holes for torture. It's a disgrace, shame and against the human rights. There's plenty of evidence for that, all you need to do is check out Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch websites, etc etc...and you will find plenty of information about American crimes against humanity.

There's pleanty of American leaders who should be put in trial for crimes against humanity just like your Gaddafi's, Saddam Husseins, or Osama Bin Ladens ( no trial for Osama - that's another shameful american act, I dont miss Osama Bin Laden- I'm happy that he's gone, but there should have been trial, instead of just murdering him on foreign soil) - We could start with Henry Kissinger - war criminal. He should be one of the first former American leaders arrested for crimes against humanity. He's scum.

What is torture? That is the question. Tickling is the lowest form of pain. Would that be considered torture?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 20, 2013 18:41

kovach
What is torture? That is the question.

In A Gadda Da Vida comes damn close

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 20, 2013 18:47

Munichhilton
kovach
What is torture? That is the question.

In A Gadda Da Vida comes damn close

Good one! But seriously, where do you draw the line? That's a good example...is blasting rap music at them torture? Is psychology torture? By what means do you extract intelligence if we rule out everything that might make someone even slightly uncomfortable? Most of these guys aren't going to just stand up one day and say 'ok, let me tell you everything i know' for no reason.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: February 20, 2013 18:47

seitan
Father Ted
flacnvinyl
seitan

How do you know that CIA and MI6 haven't used far worse methods than

waterboarding on their prisoners? We were shipping people off to black sites in some of the world's scummiest s*** holes for proxy torture (maybe we still are). We can't expect our enemies to treat our people any better when we don't practise what we preach.

- Nothing makes torture, any kind of torture or murder Ok. This talk of " waterboarding is like diet coke of" is total rubbish. Stupid argument,

It's never Ok. I have zero tolarance for stupidity and torture.

Sietan, oh yes, let's really put it all in perspective, the Taliban would wholeheartedly agree with your sediments, you should get a recruitment notice shortly, maybe you can philosophize without escaping a beheading,and you can watch them behead their own women as well, you truly live in a fantasy world, aiming your hatred against the USA, pretty much the only ones that will confront them, and giving a pass on the real, true, "war criminals" and while you sit and watch it all happen.. maybe you could foot the millions of dollars to put them on trial... they all got what they asked for, war with the US and they got it, and they all got what they deserved in the end, this is the real world.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1251
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home