Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The 97-98 tour
Posted by: daytime ()
Date: February 15, 2013 17:31

Please give me your thoughts on this tour..what are your fave bootlegs from this tour.

Re: The 97-98 tour
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 15, 2013 17:43

"Crazy Mama" is a great great song that never sounded right throughout this tour

1999 made up for this long and lifeless tour sorta like 1995 made up for the munching and grazing they did in 1994...

Difficult tour to enjoy. Never thought it had any punch to it.
I guess I like the best sounding shows Ft Worth being the favorite.

Sound wise you got San Diego, Chicago, Edmonton, Bremen and wherever the PPV was...St Louis I think.

Date: February 15, 2013 18:01

I loved the 97-98 tour. mainly because it was when the Net was really coming into it's own. There were many great fansites that were reviewing the new boots popping up. It was right before file sharing so the boot market was huge. Great artwork, great labels, lots of trading, and making new friends. The band had the Webchoice in play. I don't know - there was a great spirit with that tour.
Nowadays, although it is also wonderful the way we lit up the boards in 2012, there is a certain jadedness, and sense of entitlement - if we don't have video by the end of the set, someone was sleeping on the job.
The Stones were (for the last time) promoting a brand new album; a really good one. Pushing he songs on stage. They were front and center.
I did like the '99 tour even more because the set-list was adventurous.

meant to add: we had "Stoned in Rio" with Dylan, and "Bridges to Argentina". And Bremen.
But where was Ronnie?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-18 22:21 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 15, 2013 18:53

I saw the '97 opener in Chicago. The bridge wasn't finished yet so the Stones had to trot out to the B-stage while at audience level. Mick was nervous but the mini-set (Last Time, Let It Bleed, forgot the other) was just stunning. Bear in mind, nobody'd really seen them do that yet.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 15, 2013 20:19

The b-stage was PHENOMENAL... Every single time. They should have done the entire tour from that little square. Below is Little Queenie from opening night. The intro a bit screwed up (remember, they were still working out the kinks with the massive sound delay between the huge stage and the small stage), but aside from that, it rocks. Absolutely STELLAR version. It is as if they felt bad about the beginning and played the rest flawlessly in order to make up for the goof...

Little Queenie - Direct Download

You can actually HEAR Ronnie!!! For the majority of the tour, both for house sound and broadcast sound, Ronnie was at HALF of Keith's volume. This always drove me nuts, and makes me even more frustrated now.

If Keith & Ronnie were mixed even, this tour would have been alot better. Best gig was Rio De Janeiro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 20:23 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:59

Saw them in Miami, it was great. I agree the B'Stage was stellar. Just My Imagination, Rout 66 and Midnight Rambler!! Fantastic!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 05:33

I saw them at Texas Motor Speedway, I was 17 and it was my first Stones show. So I might not be able to give an unbiased opinion. I was blown away by the spectacle of the whole thing, I had never been to a concert like that before. All the gimmicky stuff totally worked on me, and I was in awe of seeing these living legends in person, and I had pretty good 12th row seats. I thought they sounded really good though, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I was only familiar with the studio recordings, and the only live album I had was the recent R&R Circus release, so I was taken a little off guard by some arrangements. IORR was one of my favorite songs at the time, and I could barely recognize it. I was a big fan (still am) of B2B so I was even excited to hear the new material. I hadn't heard all the albums yet, so quite a few songs (Star Star, Wanna Hold You, Crazy Mama, Little Queenie, etc) were new to me that night, but I enjoyed them. It's still probably my favorite and most memorable concert I've ever attended, but I was young and impressionable. Later some friends and I ordered the St. Louis PPV show, and even just that turned both friends who were extremely casual Stones fan (as in they'd heard Satisfaction on the radio) into fans. They even wound up having Stones CD's I wouldn't own for a while, like Flashpoint and one coughed up like $30 (a decent chunk for teenagers in the 90's) for the St. Louis bootleg. So I don't think it was just me, or the fact I'm easily entertained by flashing lights and extending bridges.

The only bootleg I have of the tour is the Texas Motor Speedway show, so I can't recommend many. The sound isn't fantastic, it's soundboard but pretty raw, and if it weren't for the nostalgia and the fact I was there I probably wouldn't have it on my computer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2013 05:39

...they didn't come here ... we could only watch from afar .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:08

NoCode0680
I saw them at Texas Motor Speedway, I was 17 and it was my first Stones show. So I might not be able to give an unbiased opinion. I was blown away by the spectacle of the whole thing, I had never been to a concert like that before. All the gimmicky stuff totally worked on me, and I was in awe of seeing these living legends in person, and I had pretty good 12th row seats. I thought they sounded really good though, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I was only familiar with the studio recordings, and the only live album I had was the recent R&R Circus release, so I was taken a little off guard by some arrangements. IORR was one of my favorite songs at the time, and I could barely recognize it. I was a big fan (still am) of B2B so I was even excited to hear the new material. I hadn't heard all the albums yet, so quite a few songs (Star Star, Wanna Hold You, Crazy Mama, Little Queenie, etc) were new to me that night, but I enjoyed them. It's still probably my favorite and most memorable concert I've ever attended, but I was young and impressionable. Later some friends and I ordered the St. Louis PPV show, and even just that turned both friends who were extremely casual Stones fan (as in they'd heard Satisfaction on the radio) into fans. They even wound up having Stones CD's I wouldn't own for a while, like Flashpoint and one coughed up like $30 (a decent chunk for teenagers in the 90's) for the St. Louis bootleg. So I don't think it was just me, or the fact I'm easily entertained by flashing lights and extending bridges.

The only bootleg I have of the tour is the Texas Motor Speedway show, so I can't recommend many. The sound isn't fantastic, it's soundboard but pretty raw, and if it weren't for the nostalgia and the fact I was there I probably wouldn't have it on my computer.

I was there as well...was cleaning that confetti out of my car for months

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:32

I was at Chicago second night, at St. Louis for the ppv, and then at Hartfort for No Security in '99. It was a special time for the band performance-wise, a kind of peaking of experience and virility, combined with cultural and technological forces. Underrated shows. Also, my favorite stage design ever.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:43

Hey Rocky, I've got some images to share. I'm embarrased and know the question has been asked countless times before.......but - how do i upload images on IORR? many thanks mate.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:59

The '97-'98 shows I saw were tremendous. Mick sounded like Mick and the guitars were louder and punchier than on Voodoo Lounge. I was in the very top row on the 50 yard line at Giants Stadium (Oct. 16? It was the "Factory Girl" show) and had decent seats for the first two MSG shows in Jan. '98. Loud guitars, a varied setlist, strong new material, and an inspired band - my favorite of the post '81 tours, though No Security is obviously a close second.

I would have loved an Archive show from this tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2013 08:48

The B-Stage was killer, the highlight of the show. The low point was Daryll totally screwing up the opening bass part of 'Anybody Seen My Baby?'. I remember thinking, "Last tour for this guy. I thought he was supposed to be at a Miles Davis level."

No Security more than made up for what in retrospect was a lackluster sounding tour.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:00

97-99 was the last great tour of the Stones.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:04

The St. Louis '97 show was perfection. The last time Mick was a true bad ass. He just looked and acted dangerous like a dirty old man. Keith was in top form. His last true hurrah.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 16, 2013 13:31

After the poor 94 tour it was a pleasure to see back in form in 97. The guitars were up, the setlists were varied, the Internet vote was nice, the PPV was decent.

Imo, 99 was not so good : we were fooled by the "never-played-before" part of the setlists...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 13:56

rattler2004
NoCode0680

I was there as well...was cleaning that confetti out of my car for months

I stuffed a couple of handfuls of the confetti in my pocket as a cheap souvenir. There was a LOT, quite a bit of ground cover, like a confetti blizzard blew through town. I eventually threw it away though.

The friend I went with lived nearby and we decided to leave my car there and went out the North exit and walked around the front side of the speedway that faced I-35 to try and get to his house. There were no walkways or anything to walk on (it wasn't a public area), and there was a small creek or drainage ditch we had to navigate. It was weird, it was pretty dark and sort difficult terrain, not to mention a lot farther to walk than it looked. Probably about 30 minutes after the show a helicopter took off from the North side and took off like it was heading the direction of DFW airport, the damn thing was flying so low that we actually hit the deck. We always assumed it was the Stones, but I guess it could have been somebody else. At school the following Monday we told everybody we were buzzed by the Stones helicopter. I still like to think it was, I'm not sure who else would have left the show in a helicopter.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 16, 2013 15:41

The B@B tour is one of my favorites. IMO Keith was outstanding on this tour. The sound system that was used was really nice. Also I was 10 feet away from the band in Foxboro when thay came out on the B stage and tha was awesome. The B stage though stolen from U2 was a nice touch. The St. Louis PPV was really very good. We had some varied setlists and they actually tried to promote B2B. Ou of Control though I don't really like to listen to it was visually stunning. I also like the fact that they opened with Satisfaction it always got the crowd going.

DCBA - The 1999 No Security Tour was awesome!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 16, 2013 16:16

It wasn't exactly 'stolen' from U2 since they use the same stage designer.

The genius was the bridge!

Date: February 16, 2013 18:13

Okay stolen is not the correct word. Borrowed might be a better term.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 16, 2013 18:39

slew

Point me to one show that's still awesome after 14 years and I'll believe you... So far I found the 1st Washington night to be rocking (imo). And Pittsburg ain't bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-16 18:47 by dcba.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: February 16, 2013 18:56

B2B tour was their last great tour of overall performances Mick sounded great, and the guitars were loud. Licks was good too, but the performance suffered. Vegas 97 and Stl 97 are the 2 best shows of that tour. NS was a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT performance and singing wise.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 16, 2013 19:05

dcba
slew

Point me to one show that's still awesome after 14 years and I'll believe you... So far I found the 1st Washington night to be rocking (imo). And Pittsburg ain't bad.

I went to a bunch of shows that tour and would say that Philly (first night?) and Hartford (again, not sure which night) were the best one. The D.C. show I saw (the Sunday show) was decent but the crowd SUCKED - no life whatsoever. Boston and the April Chicago shows were average, I'd say.

I think the big appeal of No Security in hindsight (and probably at the time) was: smaller venues, a minimalist stage, setlist variety, that kick-ass intro film, and the loud guitars. Ronnie was largely MIA, of course. It was a pretty inconsequential tour (the most low-key Stones run I can remember) but a lot of fun.

Aside from the D.C. show, the crowds ran young for a modern-day Stones tour, too. Lots of teenagers and college-aged/20-somethings, or so it seemed to me at the time.

Date: February 16, 2013 22:18

The two Boston shows I went to rocked. I have never actually heard them but they were two of the better Stoes shows I've seen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2013 23:42

The reason No Security was so great was first, it was scaled down to arena size. The setlists were infinitely more interesting. It was just the band for a good chunk of the show before filling it out with the backup singers, etc. And most importantly they were hot from being on the road for a couple years. Keith was fantastic, and it may have the last great Charlie shows.

Date: February 17, 2013 03:07

slew
Okay stolen is not the correct word. Borrowed might be a better term.

The BTB stage was designed by Mark Fisher, who did the previous Steel Wheels, Urband Jungle and Voodoo Lounge stages as well. He designed U2's ZOO TV stage as well as PopMart. Hell, he's designed the stages for both bands since 1989 for the Stones and 1992 for U2.

If I remember correctly, to put it this way, U2 got the idea for the big screen backdrop for PopMart from the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Mark Fisher is a genuis. So Fisher borrowed his own design really.

Date: February 17, 2013 04:59

GasLightStreet

The bridge? Yes, indeed, pure genius, just like the drummers for 50 And Counting.

Date: February 17, 2013 17:26

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet

The bridge? Yes, indeed, pure genius.

Fixed it for ya, since you insist that something horrendous be included with something genius. Another one of your huge fouls that you pull. Some things just shouldn't be screwed with, yet you insist.

Date: February 17, 2013 17:42

At least a pretty good live album came from the BTB tour. And it doesn't sound as flat or polished as Flashpoint.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: February 17, 2013 18:09

I thought opening was cool the film of them walking down hallway. That was the one they did basically because of the Asian financial crisis because no money there so came back to US. They played moonlight mile an i got the blues. Jagger said he could see peoples' bored faces.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home