Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
U2 ticket sell-out chaos
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 1, 2005 15:11

U2 tickets are now being sold out to scalpers both in USA and Europe. As they are priced lower than market price, scalpers buy up lost of tickets both at ticket outlets as well as from the fan club site where you have to pay $40 up-front in order to get the pre-sales "advantage".

Many Stones fans complained about RS.com and Rolling Stones ticket sales policies and prices during the last tour, but when we see this big, big U2 ticket sale chaos, where many fans are left without tickets, only to be offered tickets at many times face value from scalpers, I would prefer the Rolling Stones mode: Sell the ticket on the street at the real value.

[www.billboard.com]

Bjornulf

Re: U2 ticket sell-out chaos
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: February 1, 2005 15:31

AMEN

Posted by: Klaus ()
Date: February 1, 2005 15:37

another interesting article from an U2-fansite:
[u2log.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 1, 2005 16:23

I applied for 2006 FIFA World Cup today. A kind of messy process, but this system may be effective and rational for huge demand of tickets.
However I don’t think Rock Concert should take the same method.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 1, 2005 16:52

As long as it's not too difficult and pricey to get Stones tix, I'm happy. No more Licks prices please.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 1, 2005 16:57

Why in the hell is U2 not coming to Toronto???

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2005 17:39

they will

there'll be many more North american shows later in the year

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 1, 2005 17:41

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>No more Licks prices please.
>

Ticket prices will either stay the same (as in 02/03) or go up. They will never go down. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Date: February 1, 2005 17:45

bv Wrote:
> U2 tickets are now being sold out to scalpers both
> in USA and Europe. As they are priced lower than
> market price, scalpers buy up lost of tickets both
> at ticket outlets as well as from the fan club
> site where you have to pay $40 up-front in order
> to get the pre-sales "advantage".

$100 for the Stones. For a tour that wasnt confirmed.
>
> Many Stones fans complained about RS.com and
> Rolling Stones ticket sales policies and prices
> during the last tour, but when we see this big,
> big U2 ticket sale chaos, where many fans are left
> without tickets, only to be offered tickets at
> many times face value from scalpers, I would
> prefer the Rolling Stones mode: Sell the ticket on
> the street at the real value.
>
>
>
> Bjornulf

given the choice between a mad scramble for $100 tickets online and having slightly less chaos in order to secure a ticket for $300 whether it's to a scalper or to the stones or ticketmaster, I know what I'd prefer.

Personally, I dont give a shit who it goes to. The Stones, ClearChannel or TM wont go bankrupt if their tickets are reasonably priced to a level ordinary people can afford. Charging their prices for often very ordinary seats when you easily still make a fortune charging a third of the price is ripping people off, pure and simple. For anyone to suggest their 'system' benefits us is delusional.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 1, 2005 17:54

erikjjf Wrote:
> Ticket prices will either stay the same (as in
> 02/03) or go up. They will never go down. Sad, but
> unfortunately true.

See what you did Erik.......I want to cry now. winking smiley
On a more serious note: That's simply too bad. It sucks that it costs that much. Aren't the Stones the most expensive act to see in the mainstream these days? They must be. OK, they're also the best out there, but getting ripped for every single penny I've got to see them sucks so bad. sad smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 1, 2005 18:01

whether they're the best is a matter of opinion. Problem is, any band can make that argument as an excuse to gouge their audience - after all, there'll always be some people out there who'll say "they're the best band in the world" about whatever band THEY like.

There are still some great AND highly successful bands who dont exploit their fanbase but who probably could.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 1, 2005 18:21

Both BV and Gazza have strong arguments.

It is true that 1) there is no real need to charge less than the market value and, 2) when the cost of the tix is close to the market value scalpers are penalised.

On the other hand it is also true that 1) these prices are not affordable for a lot of fans, or for a younger audience, and that 2) there will always be scalpers around (false tix)

It is also true that most fans are happy seeing only one show, if the tour happens to hit their hometown. And 70 euros is the avarage price for top level shows (at least here in Italy).

Maybe they could introduce some form of season tickets at discounted prices for the diehards!

C

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 1, 2005 18:22

The remaining Doors were charging $75 for tickets to see them play at Roseland last year. I felt this was way too high because they were calling themselves the Doors while playing new crappy songs and even the drummer would not participate in the shows because of the high ticket prices and he felt they should hust move on since Jim is long gone. As for U2, I would not pay $1 to hear Bono preach to the crowd about his beliefs.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 1, 2005 18:51

I'd like to know where all these U2 fans have come from?

Im afraid I've seen it all before. Hold tight for a few weeks and they'll be giving the tickets away.

Date: February 1, 2005 18:55

probably from the fanbase they have that tends to help them shift around 8 - 10 million copies of every album, I would imagine!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: February 1, 2005 18:56

Good thread ... I am curious here ... what do most of you think a good price is for tickets? I paid $102.00-US for back corner seats of the stadium in Houston. Now the show was great, one of the best Stones shows I've seen. But 102.00 ???!!!
I can afford it I guess because I really want to go but I think the price is too high.
I always thought that the Stones started their tours in the US to milk as much money from the States as possible to bring ticket prices around the world down ...the Licks Tour proved me wrong for sure. It seems ticket prices were high around the globe. I heard Mick based the price on this: Jewel was getting 40.00 plus for her tickets so he felt sure that the Stones were worth more ... but again ... 102.00???!!!

Date: February 1, 2005 19:01

I dont think any show where you have to look at a video screen or use binoculars to see the people onstage is worth $100.

I've enjoyed pretty much all of the 15 or so Stones shows I've seen since 1999 since the prices went through the roof (I'm excluding the '99 UK shows as the prices for THAT tour were still reasonable) but with the exception of the very-reasonably priced Astoria gig in 2003, I dont think any of them were value for money

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: February 1, 2005 19:23

hound dog,bono does not preach,or talk much during the shows,i agree i would not want that either.but don't deprive yourself from seeing them,saw them in 86,im long over due they are great live.

john scialfa

Posted by: WAYNEP ()
Date: February 1, 2005 19:26

My buddy is a U2 fanatic...I'm super busy at work...he is getting tix for both of us...Prices for 2 tix at Wachovia Center (Arena in Philadelphia...Mezzanine level, with Ticketmaster charges is $217.15)...it says "full view", which means they are probably going to sell tix with "partial views". He also got us another night at the same Arena...I don't know where our tickets are...but total is $328 for both tickets.
My buddy also got us tickets for Madison Square Garden...he got "shutout" as a Fan Club Member for $54 tickets General Admission on the floor. He paid $40 "fee" for the privilege of getting shut out. He got us I think 3 or 4 nights, and how much we paid is in my computer at home.
Number 1...I better keep working
Number 2...I never got shutout for Stones tix on Sam Goody $40 fee.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 1, 2005 19:27

backstreetboy, I have never seen them I just heard that he does that from others. I don't like U2's music. I can actually say that I find their music boring, so my reason for not seeing them is not because of Bono's actions.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 1, 2005 19:44

U2 obviously screwed up on this one.
They are a huge draw whether you agree to like them or not, and their tour will be watched VERY closely by The Stones.
Remember people, if you don't want to pay $$$ for a ticket, don't fret, someone else will.

Posted by: mago ()
Date: February 1, 2005 23:41

The development of the scalpers and the black market is as I understand a result of that for a long period of time the record companies were looking upon concerts as a way of marketing the records. Therefore concerts were sold out at prices considerable below the market price to attract maximum of concert visitors and we got the black market. When it became possible to download music record sales decreased.

Concerts cannot be downloaded, music can. It has become more interesting to try to earn money out of concerts and to a big extent this has not been done by increasing ticket prices, it has been done by selling a lot of other items (t-shirts etc). However, since concert tickets still often are sold below the market price as Björnulf pointed out, they will rise as well. Of course I can understand that many would like to see a situation where it doesn´t cost to much to see the Rolling Stones and it´s still not too difficult to find tickets, but that is an impossible combination. Maybe it´s still much easier for the IORR people, my experience from the Stones last tour in Sweden was that there were really a lot of people who liked to go and see the Stones, but they simply didn´t believe they could find tickets. And tickets also sold out in an hour. The reality is that Stones and the management of their tours are in practice still keeping ticket prices down, because they are keen to attract young people to the concerts. The most obvious forecast is that ticket prices will continue to rise and why shouldn´t you pay to see the greatest rock´n roll band in the world. Compared to what people spend on other hobbies (skiing or fishing or whatever you like) it´s still small money.

Date: February 2, 2005 04:36

>The reality is that Stones and the management of their tours are in practice still keeping ticket prices down, because they are keen to attract young people to the concerts.

they're going a funny way about it!

> The most obvious forecast is that ticket prices will continue to rise and why shouldn´t you pay to see the greatest rock´n roll band in the world.

I'd agree that quality doesnt come cheap, but 'the greatest rock n roll band' excuse is a claim which is entirely subjective. they were called that in '98 when the top price of a ticket was around a FIFTH of what they were charging a year later and ever since. I dont think the quality of their live shows has rocketed to the same degree.

>Compared to what people spend on other hobbies (skiing or fishing or whatever you like) it´s still small money.

Hardly. yeah, sure theres lots of other forms of leisure activities which cost a week's wage for a night out . Why not compare them to other rock n roll acts instead of something that has no link whatsoever. After all, "its only rick n roll"...innit?

Date: February 2, 2005 04:45

WAYNEP Wrote:
> My buddy is a U2 fanatic...I'm super busy at
> work...he is getting tix for both of us...Prices
> for 2 tix at Wachovia Center (Arena in
> Philadelphia...Mezzanine level, with Ticketmaster
> charges is $217.15)...it says "full view", which
> means they are probably going to sell tix with
> "partial views". He also got us another night at
> the same Arena...I don't know where our tickets
> are...but total is $328 for both tickets.
> My buddy also got us tickets for Madison Square
> Garden...he got "shutout" as a Fan Club Member for
> $54 tickets General Admission on the floor. He
> paid $40 "fee" for the privilege of getting shut
> out. He got us I think 3 or 4 nights, and how much
> we paid is in my computer at home.
> Number 1...I better keep working
> Number 2...I never got shutout for Stones tix
> on Sam Goody $40 fee.

Pre-sales, like public sales, are subject to supply and demand. Quite a few people registered for pre-sales on the last Stones tour and got shut out of the theatre shows (which was really the motivation for registering) and ended up just using their pre-sale access for getting tickets in stadiums or arenas which werent all that hard to get in the public sale anyway in many cases.

However, AFAIK your friend's unused pre-sale code will be valid for one show anywhere - and they WILL be announcing more spring shows in your area as well as returning to the US for a longer period of touring in the fall.

U2 are offering refunds to those people who were shut out due to the computer glitch that affected the initial pre-sales. And rightly so.

I wonder will the Stones organisation do the same for the saps who paid $100 for pre-sale access to a non-existent tour. At least U2's fans had shows that they could buy tickets for.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 2, 2005 05:25

I haven't seen the Stones since '81 just because they haven't made it worth the drive for the overinflated ticket price. I mentioned this elsewhere, but my ticket for the '81 show was $16. Even adjusting for inflation, today's prices are flat-out ridiculously high. I bought Four Flicks for $30. OK, I can see paying $50 for a Stones ticket, but no more than that. These guys have made their money, and I know they gotta pay the road crew and all that, but what about the fan who is willing to make the trip and help guarantee a sell-out for the arena or stadium?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 2, 2005 05:34

but someone like Kurt feels that all tix should go to the richest people. that is fine..but he should remember then that there will be no connection to fans who buy albums..and those people will quickly get turned off.

I have several friends (all in our 20s) who are semi Stones fans & just think that A: we are idiots for paying what we do & B: the Stones are money hungry jerks who have no interest in music or fans

now i defend the Stones a lot...but it is getting harder. Kurt seems to think that is all ok...but I don't think it helps when younger people are looking at the greatest band ever as just some money hungry corporation. That certainly doesn't do much for their legacy. I mean these guys will have kids one day & will be telling them how the Stones were great in the 60s & 70s...but just became a greedy corporation. Look at how people tell their kids about the Beatles...how they brought people together, etc. I would think at this stage of the game, legacy would mean something...but I guess the cash means more.

P.S. I hate the beatles & I love the Stones. I just think you turn off fans (like me - seen em 32 times) when you just keep ripping em off. U2 CERTAINLY has more respect by young people...mostly for their fan friendly ticket prices & their pro-humanity work in the world. The Stones could still charge $90 - $200/ticket & have fans feel warm & fuzzy...but $300-$400...well, we know only us Americans are saps enough to pay that.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 2, 2005 06:12

Good Job.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 2, 2005 21:42

Wow.
I guess I am back to defend myself. First off, I don't believe that "all tix should go to the richest people." BUT, I am realistic and a fact is a fact.
As long as the arenas and stadiums continue to sell out, prices will rise.
Supply and Demand. Capitalism. Grow up and get used to it.

As far as U2 goes, if you read the original post and articles regarding their ticket sales, you can see that the low low bargain pricing doesn't work.
Everyone gets shut out and the brokers, scalpers, and thieves profit big time.

Who would you rather give your hard earned $$$ to? The artist that is performing their asses off in front of you, or some greasy joker that knows how to skirt the system?

It is up to you.

Thanks for listening.
I love The Stones.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 2, 2005 22:10

Kurt

Agree with everything you say. Supply vs. Demand. I personally think the Stones are going to be finding less demand this time out, but we shall see.....

I have to snicker a little bit about U2, and their "Band of the People" status. Aren't they all whored-up with Apple and IPod? They've never been very shy about keeping their prices pretty close behind the Stones'.

The Stones are capitalists, profit maximizers. I at least applaud their honesty. They've never claimed otherwise.

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Too Rude III ()
Date: February 2, 2005 23:35

Ugh. I'm so disappointed with U2. Besides the whole tickets fisco (and what a fisco it was - I wasn't able to get ANY tickets!)... their new album is just plain BORING. And after all that bull$shite hype Bono was spouting off about "this being U2's first rock albu! It's a guitar album!". I was hoping they'd rebound from the so-so "All You Can't Leave Behind" with something adventurous. Or at least ROCKING. I'm a big fan of Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop - I like their weirder, offbeat stuff. I don't buy the "serious" side of U2.

She was black... and her eyes were blue!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home