Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. Any Grace Potter fans?
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 02:32

Anyone into Grace Potter & the Nocturnals? Great band out of Vermont (New England portion of NE U.S.)

Can really rock or make some very bluesy vibes and ballads. Saw them recently in Cincinnati. Their latest album- "The Lion, The Beast, The Beat," is excellent. Have a couple other good albums as well.

If you get a chance to see them, it's a great show and quite a bargain. They're heading for Europe very soon.

And it doesn't hurt that Grace is absolutely beautiful!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Re: OT. Any Grace Potter fans?
Date: February 5, 2013 03:31

In addition...Grace Potter always does a couple cover tunes in her shows. When I saw her she did Neil Young's "Down by the River."

She often includes her cover of the The Stones' "Paint It Black."

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: February 5, 2013 04:03

Yep, I got 2 of her CD's...like em both!!!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 04:08

I saw her several years ago as an opener for Buddy Buy and I as blown away. I think her album out at that time was 'Nothing Like Water' or something to that effect. They were great. She was dressed plainly and wailed away on vocals and organ. I went over to their merch table and bought the CD while another band played, just before Buddy Guy took the stage. She had slightly messy brown hair and looked like she could have fit on stage with the Black Crowes. In fact that night we were comparing them to early Black Crowes, if they had a female singer with a gospel influence. The whole band was great. Absolutely blew me away.

HOWEVER, I saw here again this past summer in the same outdoor venue and she was lousy. The earthy/authenticity of their earlier show were replaced by some kind of...how do I put it...commercialized generic formula rock and pop. Grace is now blonde with lots of makeup and miniskirt, singing generic pop/rock. Hugely disappointing until maybe the last 10 minutes, when they launched into a bit of rougher-edged music. It seems like a band that is torn between being rockers with southern/gospel/Crowes/Joplin feel and having a pop star that 16 yr old girls can get into - it was that much of a contrast. From hot organ playing to choreographed dance.

I hope they decide well.

PS: Woody, I would have loved to head a couple of decent covers this past Summer.

Date: February 5, 2013 04:24

Bummer, Buff. If you pull her set lists up on set-list fm, you'll see she does 2 or 3 covers every show...Ray Charles, White Stripes, Jefferson Airplane, Springsteen, many more.

I gotta confess, I think she looks very hot as a blonde and I have no problem with that look over a grunge look.

First discovered her on VH1 Storytellers. I view her different styles as being very versatile as opposed to selling out. Thats just me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 5, 2013 13:42

grace rocks ,and she is a beatiful lady !

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 5, 2013 16:52

Sadly, her albums don't hold a candle to her stunning live performances. I don't think the record company knows how to pigeonhole her so they've been all over the place with her. From teenybopper stuff to hippie rock to ACR.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:09

buffalo7478
The earthy/authenticity of their earlier show were replaced by some kind of...how do I put it...commercialized generic formula rock and pop. Grace is now blonde with lots of makeup and miniskirt, singing generic pop/rock. Hugely disappointing until maybe the last 10 minutes, when they launched into a bit of rougher-edged music. It seems like a band that is torn between being rockers with southern/gospel/Crowes/Joplin feel and having a pop star that 16 yr old girls can get into - it was that much of a contrast. From hot organ playing to choreographed dance.

I hope they decide well.

PS: Woody, I would have loved to head a couple of decent covers this past Summer.

I've noticed the same. a lot of early promise seems to have been sidelined by bad management advice. The stage talent is there but the songwriting is lacklustre.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:56

Yes the act got worse instead of better. I believe they are from humble upbringings so they will disappear now that they've failed as pop act. It's a shame because I'd seen them in Albany when they were coming up and there was allot of promise but the kiss of death is a big record deal for a band like that. If they'd stayed independent they'd not have lost their credibility.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 19:46

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 5, 2013 20:34

Oh man that is slow and horrible... Haynes and his cover career... I've said too much...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-05 20:35 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:09

Love Grace Potter - for the music and her!!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 9, 2013 02:40

Saw her last summer with Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney and Jake Owen. My son dragged me there but I must say it was one of the best shows I've been to in years. She has a great band and they did a cover of Skynyrd's That Smell that simply rocked.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 10, 2013 02:11

Love GP. She's great.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home