Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jivin' Sister Fanny: Izzy Stradlin
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 2, 2013 00:21

Great version Izzy!

Re: Jivin' Sister Fanny: Izzy Stradlin
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 2, 2013 00:53

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 2, 2013 01:33

Great version - any ideas where it was recorded?

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: February 2, 2013 01:43

Tonstone
Great version - any ideas where it was recorded?

from TSP-CD-179

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 2, 2013 01:47

According to the YT description :

Artist - Izzy Stradlin
Song - Jivin' Sister Fanny
Album - Rocker (Live) - 1993

Don't remember a live album from Izzy in 1993 so that could be wrong.

Stradlin (known as Jeffrey Isbel to his attorney) wrote a few excellent songs, Patience, Dust'n'Bones, 14 years...or should I say co-wrote because like many sidemen, once he left the shadow of the greats he couldn't write anything else of interests to save his life...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 2, 2013 01:51

Good. Thanks but it makes me love the Stones version Much More!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 2, 2013 02:25

gotdablouse
According to the YT description :

Artist - Izzy Stradlin
Song - Jivin' Sister Fanny
Album - Rocker (Live) - 1993

Don't remember a live album from Izzy in 1993 so that could be wrong.

Stradlin (known as Jeffrey Isbel to his attorney) wrote a few excellent songs, Patience, Dust'n'Bones, 14 years...or should I say co-wrote because like many sidemen, once he left the shadow of the greats he couldn't write anything else of interests to save his life...

Shuffle It All is a good track from Izzy.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 2, 2013 02:44

Shuffle It All is one of the few Izzy solo tracks I know, but apparently his solo material is flawless. Like literally outstanding to those that enjoy GNR and just general music lovers.

Date: February 2, 2013 04:18

You're joking right? I made the mistake of buying several of his solo albums and apart from the first one that's semi-decent, the rest is useless, as in songs with no hook, no melody, no lyrics of interest, almost as bad as Bill's solo stuff! Gilby Clarke on the other hand packed his first solo album with a lot of a good stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 04:19 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 2, 2013 07:49

gotdablouse
You're joking right? I made the mistake of buying several of his solo albums and apart from the first one that's semi-decent, the rest is useless, as in songs with no hook, no melody, no lyrics of interest, almost as bad as Bill's solo stuff! Gilby Clarke on the other hand packed his first solo album with a lot of a good stuff.
You are seriously the first person that I've heard of that doesn't like it. Again, I haven't heard it so I really can't comment. I've just heard from a variety of different people that its excellent, and I remember because I'm always so surprised.

Date: February 2, 2013 10:27

Ok but hou should check out his stuff for yourself ;-) Do you think he would have pretty much gone off the radar as an ex-member of one of the biggest bands in the world if his stuff was that excellent? There's no lost gem of the caliber of Patience, Dust, 14, etc...there unfortunately.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 2, 2013 11:18

I have it on the Westwood One Radioshow CD
(#93-24, broadcast week of June 7, 1993).
Unfortunately it´s not mentioned where/when recorded.

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
January 21st, 1993

These photos were taken backstage - by Paul Natkin

Taken from wireimages.com and gettyimages.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 11:24 by TooTough.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 2, 2013 11:33

gotdablouse

I wouldn't call him a sideman at all! He wrote the bulk of the G&R repertoire but the guy seems to be quite laidback/lazy. Once he has a basic idea it puts to tape, adn the tape becomes his next album.

In G&R he was probably as laidback but he was surrounded by a bunch of workaholics (Slash mainly) who would rework and embellish his demos till they became great songs.

Axl Rose once said to RS (in 1992) that asking Izzy to work on his own songs was like pulling teeth...
And acc. to Mike Clink all Izzy's parts on AFD are first takes! Now you get the guy? smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 11:36 by dcba.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: February 2, 2013 13:01

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 2, 2013 13:23

dcba
In G&R he was probably as laidback but he was surrounded by a bunch of workaholics (Slash mainly) who would rework and embellish his demos till they became great songs.

Axl Rose once said to RS (in 1992) that asking Izzy to work on his own songs was like pulling teeth...
And acc. to Mike Clink all Izzy's parts on AFD are first takes! Now you get the guy? smoking smiley

Sounds a bit like Keith and the Rolling Stones/Mick Jagger.
In many ways Izzy was GnR's Keith or perhaps Ronnie.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 2, 2013 14:10

Date: February 2, 2013 14:42

LieB
[
In many ways Izzy was GnR's Keith or perhaps Ronnie.

I'd pick Keith! Same laid-back attitude, same "no-frills" guitar skills, same sense of groove, and... same laziness!
It took Izzy only 4 years to realize heroine was a dead-end though... Keith was a bit slower! >grinning smiley<

Imo Ronnie was played by Gilby Clarke...

Date: February 2, 2013 15:22

Much better songwriter and singer than Ronnie ! If GnR had made an album in 94 or 95 with some of tis songs from the excellent "Pawnshop Guitars" people would have been ranting and raving. I think this is one of the most overlooked rock albums ever. Anyone who likes a good heavy stonesy groove should check it out.

Izzy=Keith ? Nah...Keith=Izzy+Slash ! Not a quitter and a damn hard worker, at least in his prime,

Date: February 2, 2013 15:40

gotdablouse
Not a quitter and a damn hard worker, at least in his prime,

You're 100% right! From 68 to 78 he pushed several recording engineers to the brink of sanity and exhaustion!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 2, 2013 17:00

KRiffhard
Great version Izzy!

rock by numbers, numbers that removes any of the plus points of the stones recording.

Essentially, no effing swing = cock rock.

Date: February 2, 2013 19:31

@dbca - Keith the workaholic...actually still is, he was always the first one to arrive in Bondy for the rehearsals, no guitar playing though, at least that we could hear...maybe he was writing new songs ;-)

gotdablouse
Much better songwriter and singer than Ronnie ! If GnR had made an album in 94 or 95 with some of tis songs from the excellent "Pawnshop Guitars" people would have been ranting and raving. I think this is one of the most overlooked rock albums ever. Anyone who likes a good heavy stonesy groove should check it out.

Pulled out the CD and guess what, it was produced by Waddy Wachtel ! I really need to check out more of stuff Waddy worked on as so far, so good, B2B and the superlative SOM guitar part, the Winos, mostly good...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 19:40 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: stringpull ()
Date: February 3, 2013 02:48

Rick Richards on lead guitar(Georgia Sats) a friggin monsta

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home