Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Still a fool
Posted by: bartman ()
Date: January 27, 2005 23:12

Did anyone allready heard Keith's version of Stilla fool on the Stoneswebsite?

Sound really great.
check it out [www.rollingstones.com]

Re: Still a fool
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 28, 2005 00:34

OMG, that's awesome. So old guys really *can* make great music! And Keith has a great voice too.

- Koen.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 28, 2005 02:59

Is this the same as the Hubert Sumlin cut? If so, I wasn't impressed with KR's vocal - one of the low points of the album, IMO. KR has some vocal capabilities - he usually does well on country songs, for instance. But, blooze doesn't really suit him very well as a vocalist.

Posted by: williedynamite ()
Date: January 28, 2005 05:20

I downloaded a 9 minute version of Still a Fool; does anyone know when this is from? early 70's?

I need a sanctified girl with a sanctified mind to help me now

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2005 05:36

9 min version
Olympic Studio, London May 1968.

Mick Jagger also cut two versions with the Red Devils May 1992 plus the Stones played it live Paradiso Amsterdam May 27 1995.

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2005 10:15

Also known as "Catfish Blues" (Muddy W. isn't it?)

Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: January 28, 2005 12:55

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the same as the Hubert Sumlin cut? If so,
> I wasn't impressed with KR's vocal - one of the
> low points of the album, IMO. KR has some vocal
> capabilities - he usually does well on country
> songs, for instance. But, blooze doesn't really
> suit him very well as a vocalist.

You are right the vocals are bit thin on this one! But that's because we compare Keith's vocals with Muddy's. Muddy Waters had a very powerful voice and it is difficult for anybody to do better. None the less it's a good CD!

Date: January 28, 2005 18:05

good CD yes - not great.

Catfish Blues is a first-cousin to Still a Fool - but it's not the same tune - Muddy cut it as a separate tune.

Re: Still a fool and Catfish Blues
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 28, 2005 19:41

The confusion is that some bootlegs list "Still a Fool" from the Beggars Banquest sessions as "Catfish" or "Catfish Blues." I believe the main offender was the Ultrarare Trax series from The Genuine Pig. As for the Sumlin CD itself...it's a good CD if you like vintage Chicago Blues. The Keith track is what I expected. He handled the vocals better than I thought he would given that he doesn't have lungs like Muddy or Mick. No, its not as good as Muddy's original or the great Beggars outtake, but I prefer it to the rather pedestrian outing with The Red Devils that Mick cut. The raw stripped down arrangement really works. Keith's playing is rough, but that is no deterrent here. George Recili's drumming is excellent. I preferred him on this CD to Steve Jordan or Charley Drayton with The Winos...and I am a fan of their drumming. As he proved on BTB, Blondie Chaplin makes an excellent bass player backing Keith. OldKR is fortunate enough to have heard more tracks from Keith's 2000-2001 sessions. Let's hope more surfaces. Good stuff, all around and I would bet that Rockman digs it. Vintage Crashbox Lust, Terry, all the way.

Date: January 28, 2005 20:06

the revelation regarding Receli (this IS the correct spelling) is his singing on the Sumlin album - had no idea he could sing, too. I've grown quite fond of George's drum style the past couple of years with Dylan. Started out rough (like most new Dylan band-mates) - but he's proven very worthy of the honor.

I wish some small label would sign Blondie for a record (or least release his 70's solo album - killer stuff). He's so un-appreciated by so many Stones fans. he's a helluva talent - singer, guitarist...he's way too good to just be a Stones hanger-on.....

Date: January 28, 2005 22:56

Muddy's Rollin' Stone is the song that is based on the original Catfish Blues with Still a Fool as T&A words it coming in as a close first cousin .

Yeah Rocky you's da man....I'll love it. Check ya mail.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: January 29, 2005 11:01

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Muddy's Rollin' Stone is the song that is based on
> the original Catfish Blues with Still a Fool as
> T&A words it coming in as a close first cousin
> .
>
> Yeah Rocky you's da man....I'll love it. Check ya
> mail.
>
> ROCKMAN

That's the same where I was thinking of this morning. I listened to both, Sill a fool and Rollin' Stone. And they sound exactly the same. So Still a fool was recorded before Rollin' Stones??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-29 16:59 by bartman.

Date: January 29, 2005 11:15

OK bartman I think we have lil' confusion here.

Muddy Waters

Rollin' Stone - Chicago, February 1950
Muddy Waters vocal/guitar - Ernest Crawford - bass

Still A Fool - Chicago July 11, 1951
Muddy Waters vocal/guitar - Little Walter guitar - Leonard Chess bass drum

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 5, 2005 23:25

What I like about the Sumlin album is it's nicely unproduced - Rob Frabroni (didn't he also do Blondie's 70s album? I know he produced the Rick Danko debut, among others) keeps it stripped down to the great Hubert (who also thanks Marlon and Doris Richards!) with bass, drums, piano, harmonica, & some guest guitarists/vocalists. No clutter, no phoned in star turns. Keith sounds fine on the 3 cuts he's on (I like the closing duet with K & HS a lot), & its nice to hear David Johansen - and Eric sounds a lot less lethargic/bland than on his BB King & Robert Johnson albums. I mean does anybody expect an improvement on one of the greatest of all post war blues classics?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home