Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Why 2013 Is Going To Top 2012!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:00

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.
I'm a rock historian. I went to university for rock. I have a Ph.D in rock. I do declare The Stones the greatest rock band in the history of everything that has ever rocked in the history of the universe.
There, happy? Can you finally stop posting your nonsense and move on to something else? Maybe you can obsess about magnets or cheese vs. bagels for months and months?

What about cream cheese vs cheese ON bagels?

Date: February 6, 2013 19:37

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
For someone that you say is stuck in the sixties I sure spend a lot of time posting about the present and the future. Sorry, but as great as the Beatles were they have had no present or future in over 40 years. The Stones are still rolling. Just gave us seven incredible live shows and two fantastic new songs. And there is more to come. I am not anti-Beatles, I love them, but the Stones have earned the right to be considered "the greatest of all time", but I don't believe in leaving anything to chance. One last great album, or maybe even a respectable one should cinch it once and for all. Bridges was a great album in my opinion and with time will be considered right there with Exile. The sun set on the Beatles over 40 years ago but the Stones are just now reaching sunset. And what a glorious sunset it's been so far, with twilight lurking.

Skippy, as a musician, would you rather be recognized as the best guitarist in New Orleans or the second best? Would you prefer that the Saints make the Super Bowl and win or would you prefer that they make it and lose? Now, do you get where I am coming from? I am a fan of the Rolling Stones. I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.

For whatever reason you are deeply concerned about rank and numbers and position when the people you are talking about don't care, regardless of whatever psychoanalysis you want to spin on it. So The Beatles haven't done anything as a band since 1969 or whenever other than release their last album (Let It Be). The Stones have recorded way more albums, have had way more singles and have played to possibly the most people on the planet. They've made more money than The Beatles simply as a touring act. They have more live video releases than The Beatles. The Stones have had plenty of number ones, albums and singles. And their tours set new records, which have been broken, since that is how records work.

What The Beatles did remains cemented in their time, with some updates along the way (like the remastering of their entire catalogue, the single hits comp and something the Stones are incapable of - a three set anthology on record with alternate takes and unreleased tracks and a ten set video of their career), but they will never be confused for anything else.

The Stones, however, have been around so long that as time goes on and someone slightly familiar with them sees a picture or video from 1973 or 1976 the context has been so far removed they don't get it.

Fortunately what you think, however out of touch it is, does not determine anything other than for you nor will rock historians determine anything - because it's always changing (or as some people like to say, evolving). Some day Rubber Soul or Revolver or whatever whoever says is the best of all time will be replaced with whatever. In the end it doesn't matter other than possibly piquing interest. Best Recording Act Of All Time - The Beatles. Biggest Band Ever - Led Zeppelin. Greatest Rock'N'Roll Band - The Rolling Stones. Biggest Band On The Planet - U2. Most Predictable Kick Ass Rock Band - AC/DC. And on and on and on and on. However you want to shine that knob.

Someday the Stones will not be considered, they'll be boring or forgotten, just like a bunch of other bands/artists. The eventual decline in interest of these bands will happen. One can only reissue things so many times before people get fed up. You won't see another reissue campaign from Pink Floyd or AC/DC or Led Zeppelin (after the next batch, that is) or the Stones or the Beatles because it will have been finished. Box sets and remasters - empty. Then it's time to pull out the odd thing here and there - a show from the past or some video. But basically the interest wanders around and it will most likely not be like it was when it was new.

The Stones won't give their 1970s and 1980s LPs a proper vamping up because they're past bored with it - except when it comes to their set lists. They didn't do what they could have with Some Girls. They blew it. A total lackluster contractual must do or whatever it was. If they truly cared they wouldn't have let the 1971-2005 catalogue have been so poorly remastered. And they would have released things, regardless of them being finished, because it seems almost every band on the planet has done that. The problem is the Stones believe what they think.

I love the Stones. But I could not care less about their legacy or where they rank or if they're number one this week or next year or the greatest ever and on and on and on. Just like Trix, that is for kids.

Excellent comments, but you are taking all the fun and drama out of being a Stones fan, daddy! Let the kids have their fun! A good daddy joins in. Makes for some great family memories later on.

Date: February 7, 2013 02:11

GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.
I'm a rock historian. I went to university for rock. I have a Ph.D in rock. I do declare The Stones the greatest rock band in the history of everything that has ever rocked in the history of the universe.
There, happy? Can you finally stop posting your nonsense and move on to something else? Maybe you can obsess about magnets or cheese vs. bagels for months and months?

You (two) better hope the Sons of the Beatles never form a band!

Date: February 7, 2013 02:21

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

I know I don't need to hope they never do because they won't.

Date: February 7, 2013 02:57

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

I expect it to happen, just not sure how soon. Would be cool if they could come together as soon as February of 2014 which is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America, but I expect it will happen later in this decade sometime between 2015 and 2019.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 7, 2013 04:26

JumpinJackOLantern
Rolling Hansie
JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time.

To me, they already are. Doesn't matter to me what others might think.

Hansie, you are a better man than I. I want every male rock 'n roll fan on the planet to bow at the feet of the Stones, and declare with their mouths, that the Stones are the greatest of all time! I shall have it no other way!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Are the rest of us excused from this nonsense? Or do we just not matter? In either case, thank goodness I can stop reading this thread.

Date: February 7, 2013 06:04

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

I expect it to happen, just not sure how soon. Would be cool if they could come together as soon as February of 2014 which is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America, but I expect it will happen later in this decade sometime between 2015 and 2019.

Uh huh. Everyone knows your expectations have zero to do with reality. So...please continue - so we'll all know for 100% certain that the opposite WILL happen.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 7, 2013 08:18

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

The Sons of Beatles comments are like Michael Jackson is still alive and the moon landing was staged theories. It's OK to believe them, but best kept to oneself So others think they are speaking to a sane person.

Date: February 7, 2013 19:22

drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

The Sons of Beatles comments are like Michael Jackson is still alive and the moon landing was staged theories. It's OK to believe them, but best kept to oneself So others think they are speaking to a sane person.

Doesn't seem to bother James McCartney. He obviously likes my idea.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2013 19:30

JumpinJackOLantern
drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

Doesn't seem to bother James McCartney. He obviously likes my idea.

I think if the Sons of Beatles don't have a go at it, the Sons of Bitches would be a good alternative.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 7, 2013 19:35

drbryant

Hillarious!grinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2013 19:38

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

Uh huh. Everyone knows your expectations have zero to do with reality. So...please continue - so we'll all know for 100% certain that the opposite WILL happen.

Everyone knows? Certainly not those that have been paying attention these last two and one half years. Or is it that you are just one of these dudes that is so insecure he can't give the other fella his due? Shame on you, young man!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home