Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Why 2013 Is Going To Top 2012!
Date: February 3, 2013 06:41

In summary, 2013 is looking very promising. During one of the pre-shows before the PPV I noticed that on several occasions the words, The Rolling Stones, "greatest rock 'n roll band of all time" appeared on the screen. That was a departure from the standard, "greatest rock 'n roll band in the world". That's a small step in the right direction, We should be hearing that a lot more by the end of 2013 and in the years to come. Kind of comforting to know that at least every once in awhile justice is served and those deserving get their just reward. Just not right or fair that a band that sputtered and went dead in the water over 40 years ago.............

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2013 20:01

JumpinJackOLantern
In summary, 2013 is looking very promising. During one of the pre-shows before the PPV I noticed that on several occasions the words, The Rolling Stones, "greatest rock 'n roll band of all time" appeared on the screen. That was a departure from the standard, "greatest rock 'n roll band in the world". That's a small step in the right direction, We should be hearing that a lot more by the end of 2013 and in the years to come. Kind of comforting to know that at least every once in awhile justice is served and those deserving get their just reward. Just not right or fair that a band that sputtered and went dead in the water over 40 years ago.............

Here you go, to supplement your whine...

Date: February 3, 2013 22:52

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

Here you go, to supplement your whine...

Thanks, I will treat my guests coming over to watch the Super Bowl this afternoon. Maybe next year it's the Seahawks vs the Saints in the NFC Championship game for the right to go to Super Bowl 48? That would be huge, but not as huge as the Beatles vs The Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-04 16:58 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 3, 2013 23:49

JumpinJackOLantern

I must say, I find your Beatles vs. Stones legacy argument most amusing. Perhaps you can email Andrew Loog Oldham on the subject and report back to us here what his opinion on the subject is.

Your contention that it is all coming down to the wire in 2013 and what The Stones do next is crucial for this legacy war is likewise amusing. If it takes The Stones more than 50 years to outshine what The Beatles accomplished legacy-wise in less than 10, I think that speaks for itself.

So what's your opinion on The Kinks vs. The Who? Which band made the larger contribution to hard rock/heavy metal?

Date: February 4, 2013 00:07

JumpinJackOLantern

Actually, JJOL, you can put your mind to rest on the subject. The Beatles themselves conceded in 1967 [after Paul died in 1966] on the cover of Sgt. Pepper:

Caption: Also on the Sgt. Peppers cover, a doll of a girl sits on the lap of an old woman. "Welcome the Rolling Stones" is printed on her sweater. Were the Beatles insinuating that since Paul's death, the Rolling Stones had surpassed them to become the world's greatest rock band? On the doll's right leg sits a toy Aston Martin (the type of car that Paul drove) and at its left side is a bloody driving glove.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 4, 2013 01:02

ROCKMAN

Date: February 4, 2013 01:12

Rockman

Next you're going to tell me that Paul isn't really dead.winking smiley

Date: February 4, 2013 17:03

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

I must say, I find your Beatles vs. Stones legacy argument most amusing. Perhaps you can email Andrew Loog Oldham on the subject and report back to us here what his opinion on the subject is.

Your contention that it is all coming down to the wire in 2013 and what The Stones do next is crucial for this legacy war is likewise amusing. If it takes The Stones more than 50 years to outshine what The Beatles accomplished legacy-wise in less than 10, I think that speaks for itself.

So what's your opinion on The Kinks vs. The Who? Which band made the larger contribution to hard rock/heavy metal?

No denying that the Beatles have cast a long and daunting shadow. That speaks to how great they were. 2013 is going to be filled with anticipation. Kind of like the final turn of a race when after 500 miles the lead car is overtaken at the wire.

The Kinks? The Who? The Sonics would blow them both off the stage!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:39

JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

No denying that the Beatles have cast a long and daunting shadow. That speaks to how great they were. 2013 is going to be filled with anticipation. Kind of like the final turn of a race when after 500 miles the lead car is overtaken at the wire.
Just stop. Please. Your insanity is driving me insane.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:43

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

then don't stop! this could be fun for the rest of us! don't be so selfish.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:56

Weird and creepy, though.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2013 18:58

drbryant

we've been thru worse...we'll be ok

Date: February 4, 2013 19:30

I guess you're right. In memory of by far the most entertaining "Beatles vs. Stones" guy on this Forum; here's a classic post by Ferrante, from nearly 7 years ago. I miss this guy - I wonder if he's actually living a normal life, with a wife, kids, house and a dog? Hard to picture.

ferrante9
buffoon!!!!

let me tell you what's up.

MICK IS A VOCALIST/PERFOMER....HE IS NOT A TRUE MUSICIAN.

TRUE, HE PLAYS GUITAR ON MISS YOU....BUT IS IT REALLY NECESSESARY FOR HIM TO PLAY? IT DOESN'T improve THE SONG, BUT HE IS ONLY HURTING IT. INSTEAD OF HIM PLAYING THE GUITAR, WHY DOESN'T HE DANCE TO THAT SONG....IT D' BE GETTING THE CROWN MORE INVOLVED......

MICK CAN; T PLAY GUITAR FOR SHIT........ASK HIM TO PLAY BLACKBIRD OR JENNY WREN....

MAMMA MIA...

OR ASK KEITH TO PLAY BACKBIRD, OR JENNY WREN........NOT VERY GOOD.

MICK IS A GREAT PERFORMER, AND AN OKAY SINGER....

MACCA IS THE BEST ROCK AND ROLL SINGER FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

EARLY DAYS: KANSAS CITY HEY HEY HEY, LUCILLE, LONT TALL SALLY.

BEATLES MID YEARS: I M DOWN, PAPERBACK WRITER, DRIVE MY CAR

BEATLES PEAK: HELTER SKETLER, BACK IN THE USSR, TAXMAN ( MACCA PLAYS LEAD GUITAR), SGT PEPPERS, THE END, REVOLUTION.

WINGS: LIVE AND LET DIE, JR FARMS, LETTING GO, BEWARE MY LOVE, LET ME ROLL IT, OLD SIAM SIR, SPIT IN ON, VENUS AND MARS/ROCK SHOW.

SOLO: COMING UP, RINSE THE RAINDROP, LONELY ROAD, ABOUT YOU.

THERE YOU GO...THOSE ARE JUST SOME OF THE EXAMPLE OF HOW HARD MACCA CAN ROCK HARDER THAN MICK AND COMPANY.

AND MACCA ROCKS HARDER LIVE THAN THE STONES. YOU COULD ASK ANYONE WHO S BEEN TO BOTH SHOWS...AND THEY LL TELL YOU THAT MACCA PUTS ON A BETTER SHOW. NOT THAT THE STONES DON'T PUT ON A GOOD SHOW...IT'S JUST THAT MACCA IT'S SIMPLE THE KING OF THE KINGS.

AND BY THE WAY.......MACCA IS THE TRUE DEFINITION OF ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:39

My granny rocks harder than macca
one thing macca is'nt and thats a rock star
I take it the last post is a joke

Date: February 4, 2013 21:00

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

You really need to pull yourself together. Try and make an honest effort to open your mind to new possibilities. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Be honest, if someone were to ask you if you would rather be considered the best at your profession or second best, what would you choose?

Date: February 4, 2013 21:11

drbryant

Nothing weird and creepy about secretly wanting to be considered the best at your profession. Even more flattering when you are recognized as the best there ever was. Do you think Mick and Keith and other rock stars might just have a tad bit of ego? Except for the pious and ego-less Bono, of course.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:22

JumpinJackOLantern
2012 was nothing short of fabulous, but 2013 is going to be even better! 2013 will see one last great Stones album (which will push the Stones past the Beatles) followed by more shows. Both Mick and Keith will reach their historic 70th birthdays in 2013. I can see the headlines: Still Rolling At 70! I am predicting a huge year for the Rolling Stones that will be filled with action and high drama! I am also predicting a banner year for IORR! Also, the Lone Ranger returns in 2013! Johnny Depp plays Tonto!

Can you hear the beat of the distant drummers (wearing Gregory masks) off in the distance? I can.

How will one more album push the Stones past the Beatles?

Date: February 5, 2013 05:04

BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
2012 was nothing short of fabulous, but 2013 is going to be even better! 2013 will see one last great Stones album (which will push the Stones past the Beatles) followed by more shows. Both Mick and Keith will reach their historic 70th birthdays in 2013. I can see the headlines: Still Rolling At 70! I am predicting a huge year for the Rolling Stones that will be filled with action and high drama! I am also predicting a banner year for IORR! Also, the Lone Ranger returns in 2013! Johnny Depp plays Tonto!

Can you hear the beat of the distant drummers (wearing Gregory masks) off in the distance? I can.

How will one more album push the Stones past the Beatles?

When a panel of rock historians sit down in about five to ten years to decide who the greatest rock 'n roll band of all time is there should be little doubt to whom that title should go to - provided the Stones can deliver one last masterpiece. At least that is how I see it. I suppose it's possible that they don't need to do another album, but why leave it to chance? My guess is that albums like Bridges and even ABB will grow in stature as the years go by, just like Exile did. The Stones have really never produced a bad album despite what many think about Dirty Work. It too will be viewed with more respect in about five to ten years or when one of them is forced to call it quits. The Stones achieving 50 years and still performing live at a high level was huge for their legacy. Now, all that's left is to produce one last great album to seal the deal - overhaul the Beatles. 2013 looms large because it is going to be the year that they that they take "one more shot" in the studio. There will also be more shows. Looks like the Stones are destined to go out in a blaze of glory, unlike their competition who have been floating around dead in the water now for over 40 years.

Date: February 5, 2013 05:11

terry
My granny rocks harder than macca
one thing macca is'nt and thats a rock star
I take it the last post is a joke

I love Paul but he isn't the Beatles. The Beatles ended in 1970. The Stones are still rolling and recently gave us two new fantastic songs, with more to come.

Date: February 5, 2013 05:41

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
Just not right or fair that a band that sputtered and went dead in the water over 40 years ago.............

I must say, I find your Beatles vs. Stones legacy argument most amusing.

You really need to pull yourself together. Try and make an honest effort to open your mind to new possibilities.

Says the person that's stuck in the 1960s. The Beatles' legacy speaks for itself. Sputtered and went dead? It stopped working. They admitted it. Let It Be was a number one album in the UK and US - not bad for "sputtering".

The Stones have a lot more albums yet it doesn't matter - there are too many songs and (almost) no one cares about anything past Waiting On A Friend (yes, there are 349.9 duodecillion people who don't know or care about Dirty Work etc). Yet you think they "need" one more to "pass" The Beatles... in what? How is it not "fair"? What's "fair"? Martin Scorsese overacting in his movie or the Stones not doing anything older than 1983?

Date: February 5, 2013 06:51

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
Just not right or fair that a band that sputtered and went dead in the water over 40 years ago.............

I must say, I find your Beatles vs. Stones legacy argument most amusing.

You really need to pull yourself together. Try and make an honest effort to open your mind to new possibilities.

Says the person that's stuck in the 1960s. The Beatles' legacy speaks for itself. Sputtered and went dead? It stopped working. They admitted it. Let It Be was a number one album in the UK and US - not bad for "sputtering".

The Stones have a lot more albums yet it doesn't matter - there are too many songs and (almost) no one cares about anything past Waiting On A Friend (yes, there are 349.9 duodecillion people who don't know or care about Dirty Work etc). Yet you think they "need" one more to "pass" The Beatles... in what? How is it not "fair"? What's "fair"? Martin Scorsese overacting in his movie or the Stones not doing anything older than 1983?

For someone that you say is stuck in the sixties I sure spend a lot of time posting about the present and the future. Sorry, but as great as the Beatles were they have had no present or future in over 40 years. The Stones are still rolling. Just gave us seven incredible live shows and two fantastic new songs. And there is more to come. I am not anti-Beatles, I love them, but the Stones have earned the right to be considered "the greatest of all time", but I don't believe in leaving anything to chance. One last great album, or maybe even a respectable one should cinch it once and for all. Bridges was a great album in my opinion and with time will be considered right there with Exile. The sun set on the Beatles over 40 years ago but the Stones are just now reaching sunset. And what a glorious sunset it's been so far, with twilight lurking.

Skippy, as a musician, would you rather be recognized as the best guitarist in New Orleans or the second best? Would you prefer that the Saints make the Super Bowl and win or would you prefer that they make it and lose? Now, do you get where I am coming from? I am a fan of the Rolling Stones. I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 5, 2013 12:16

JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time.

To me, they already are. Doesn't matter to me what others might think.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2013 13:17

Okey, here's a wild guess: JumpingJackOLantern is Stonescrow/Watchman/Mighty's new alias and GasLightStreet is Skipstone/WeLoveToPlayTheBlues's new pseudonym.
Who's Blackhat then? And what's Gazza's new alias? Do you have to be a CIA agent to decipher these things?

Date: February 5, 2013 14:27

Stoneage
Okey, here's a wild guess: JumpingJackOLantern is Stonescrow/Watchman/Mighty's new alias and GasLightStreet is Skipstone/WeLoveToPlayTheBlues's new pseudonym.
Who's Blackhat then? And what's Gazza's new alias? Do you have to be a CIA agent to decipher these things?

Isn't Blackhat a "younger man" who acts as counterpoint to the Sons of Beatles guy? Maybe not.

Interestingly, while true multiple personality disorder is usually outside of the control of the sufferer, some people appear to use separate "identities" knowingly because it amuses or excites them. I have heard that for many, it is the primary way in which they can get aroused.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 5, 2013 17:38

JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.
I'm a rock historian. I went to university for rock. I have a Ph.D in rock. I do declare The Stones the greatest rock band in the history of everything that has ever rocked in the history of the universe.
There, happy? Can you finally stop posting your nonsense and move on to something else? Maybe you can obsess about magnets or cheese vs. bagels for months and months?

Date: February 6, 2013 00:19

drbryant
Stoneage

Isn't Blackhat a "younger man" who acts as counterpoint to the Sons of Beatles guy? Maybe not.

Interestingly, while true multiple personality disorder is usually outside of the control of the sufferer, some people appear to use separate "identities" knowingly because it amuses or excites them. I have heard that for many, it is the primary way in which they can get aroused.

You may be on to something here. Let's ask Phil Hendrie for his opinion.

Date: February 6, 2013 00:23

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.
I'm a rock historian. I went to university for rock. I have a Ph.D in rock. I do declare The Stones the greatest rock band in the history of everything that has ever rocked in the history of the universe.
There, happy? Can you finally stop posting your nonsense and move on to something else? Maybe you can obsess about magnets or cheese vs. bagels for months and months?

As the "Anti-Stones" do you have a number that identifies you? I mean, we know about 666, but what is your number, Mr. Anti-Stones?

Date: February 6, 2013 04:16

Rolling Hansie
JumpinJackOLantern
I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time.

To me, they already are. Doesn't matter to me what others might think.

Hansie, you are a better man than I. I want every male rock 'n roll fan on the planet to bow at the feet of the Stones, and declare with their mouths, that the Stones are the greatest of all time! I shall have it no other way!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 6, 2013 04:22

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

Wasn't too long ago that you were asking me to define what a rock historian is.

Date: February 6, 2013 17:59

JumpinJackOLantern
For someone that you say is stuck in the sixties I sure spend a lot of time posting about the present and the future. Sorry, but as great as the Beatles were they have had no present or future in over 40 years. The Stones are still rolling. Just gave us seven incredible live shows and two fantastic new songs. And there is more to come. I am not anti-Beatles, I love them, but the Stones have earned the right to be considered "the greatest of all time", but I don't believe in leaving anything to chance. One last great album, or maybe even a respectable one should cinch it once and for all. Bridges was a great album in my opinion and with time will be considered right there with Exile. The sun set on the Beatles over 40 years ago but the Stones are just now reaching sunset. And what a glorious sunset it's been so far, with twilight lurking.

Skippy, as a musician, would you rather be recognized as the best guitarist in New Orleans or the second best? Would you prefer that the Saints make the Super Bowl and win or would you prefer that they make it and lose? Now, do you get where I am coming from? I am a fan of the Rolling Stones. I want them to be recognized as the greatest of all time. In my mind they have already earned that title, however, it will ultimately be decided by rock historians.

For whatever reason you are deeply concerned about rank and numbers and position when the people you are talking about don't care, regardless of whatever psychoanalysis you want to spin on it. So The Beatles haven't done anything as a band since 1969 or whenever other than release their last album (Let It Be). The Stones have recorded way more albums, have had way more singles and have played to possibly the most people on the planet. They've made more money than The Beatles simply as a touring act. They have more live video releases than The Beatles. The Stones have had plenty of number ones, albums and singles. And their tours set new records, which have been broken, since that is how records work.

What The Beatles did remains cemented in their time, with some updates along the way (like the remastering of their entire catalogue, the single hits comp and something the Stones are incapable of - a three set anthology on record with alternate takes and unreleased tracks and a ten set video of their career), but they will never be confused for anything else.

The Stones, however, have been around so long that as time goes on and someone slightly familiar with them sees a picture or video from 1973 or 1976 the context has been so far removed they don't get it.

Fortunately what you think, however out of touch it is, does not determine anything other than for you nor will rock historians determine anything - because it's always changing (or as some people like to say, evolving). Some day Rubber Soul or Revolver or whatever whoever says is the best of all time will be replaced with whatever. In the end it doesn't matter other than possibly piquing interest. Best Recording Act Of All Time - The Beatles. Biggest Band Ever - Led Zeppelin. Greatest Rock'N'Roll Band - The Rolling Stones. Biggest Band On The Planet - U2. Most Predictable Kick Ass Rock Band - AC/DC. And on and on and on and on. However you want to shine that knob.

Someday the Stones will not be considered, they'll be boring or forgotten, just like a bunch of other bands/artists. The eventual decline in interest of these bands will happen. One can only reissue things so many times before people get fed up. You won't see another reissue campaign from Pink Floyd or AC/DC or Led Zeppelin (after the next batch, that is) or the Stones or the Beatles because it will have been finished. Box sets and remasters - empty. Then it's time to pull out the odd thing here and there - a show from the past or some video. But basically the interest wanders around and it will most likely not be like it was when it was new.

The Stones won't give their 1970s and 1980s LPs a proper vamping up because they're past bored with it - except when it comes to their set lists. They didn't do what they could have with Some Girls. They blew it. A total lackluster contractual must do or whatever it was. If they truly cared they wouldn't have let the 1971-2005 catalogue have been so poorly remastered. And they would have released things, regardless of them being finished, because it seems almost every band on the planet has done that. The problem is the Stones believe what they think.

I love the Stones. But I could not care less about their legacy or where they rank or if they're number one this week or next year or the greatest ever and on and on and on. Just like Trix, that is for kids.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home