Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: what was the sound like in 1972 for a Rolling Stones concert
Posted by: lougio ()
Date: August 25, 2014 00:51

Everything about that show was great including the crowd.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 25, 2014 01:56

Keith had a more "meaty" sound maybe due to the cranked Ampeg(?) stacks.

The sound had a little more fullness than today but not the clarity.

Bill Wyman really was a great bassist.

When they took the stage at MSG and Keith hit the first chords of Brown Sugar it was magical.

PS - I believe they are as good if not better today.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 25, 2014 03:05

On a scale of 1 to 10... It was eleven.

My only actual memory is that we could feel that the building (the Spectrum) was throbbing with the music and the crowd... really incredible, exciting!

I don't really remember the music, so the Philadelphia Special cd is a great memento

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 19, 2015 16:11

Seattle 75 I was directly under the front of the ring of speakers hanging from the light rigging. Crystal clear sound, I can still hear it. Louder than Concorde (well, almost) but absolutely clear. Not once shriek of feedback the whole night. Best live mix of sound for any concert I've ever seen. I was 16 and completely sober.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: June 19, 2015 17:02

As in any concert seat location and venue are extremely important.

At the Denver Coliseum show on June 16, 1972 I had approximately 12th row center seats. The show could only be described as INCREDIBLE!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 19, 2015 17:17

saw them in a 6500- seat arena in 73. It was a massive monoblock of sound. I remember it being hard to hear piano and the percussion instruments played by Bobby and Jim, but what I remember most is the guitars mixed loud. Greatest sound I've ever heard

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 19, 2015 17:36

drbryant
saw them in a 6500- seat arena in 73. It was a massive monoblock of sound. I remember it being hard to hear piano and the percussion instruments played by Bobby and Jim, but what I remember most is the guitars mixed loud. Greatest sound I've ever heard

Didn't you recall Taylor's guitar producing the most audible and recognizable sound?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 19, 2015 17:54

I also saw them in 73 - at Wembley - and I agree that it was a wall of sound without much of the separation that you were already getting at say, Pink Floyd or The Who shows.

Wyman was almost inaudible and you got the chunky chugga chugga rhythm sound cming through from Keith but unless Mick Taylor did a stand alone solo you could not really discern the interplay between the two - not like the now-legendary guitar weaving of Keith and Ronnie.

Jagger was the most distinct member of the band but by then he was starting to get into his rushed vocal delivery and chraging around from side to side.

Despite all that it was still an incredible experience and the best version of Midnight Rambler I ever saw (September 8).

Date: June 19, 2015 18:03

Silver Dagger
I also saw them in 73 - at Wembley - and I agree that it was a wall of sound without much of the separation that you were already getting at say, Pink Floyd or The Who shows.

Wyman was almost inaudible and you got the chunky chugga chugga rhythm sound cming through from Keith but unless Mick Taylor did a stand alone solo you could not really discern the interplay between the two - not like the now-legendary guitar weaving of Keith and Ronnie.

Jagger was the most distinct member of the band but by then he was starting to get into his rushed vocal delivery and chraging around from side to side.

Despite all that it was still an incredible experience and the best version of Midnight Rambler I ever saw (September 8).

First or second show Silver?

And it was loud, very loud. Anyway always when I listen to the Brussels boot (not the official release!), it comes very close to my memory of the Rotterdam gig I was at (Oct. 13).

Date: June 19, 2015 18:13

kleermaker
Silver Dagger

And it was loud, very loud. Anyway always when I listen to the Brussels boot (not the official release!), it comes very close to my memory of the Rotterdam gig I was at (Oct. 13).

This is my recording kleer. Early show.

Date: June 19, 2015 18:22

Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger

Fantastic job Silver, a really GREAT audience recording! Including my favourite YCAGWYW. So the Morph. 31 Belladonna On A Toussaint Night is actually made by you. Big compliments!

Date: June 19, 2015 18:43

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger

Fantastic job Silver, a really GREAT audience recording! Including my favourite YCAGWYW. So the Morph. 31 Belladonna On A Toussaint Night is actually made by you. Big compliments!

Not heard those others. I know as soon as it came out around 2003 that a few 'sound experts' jumped on it and tweaked it up a bit. Are there any upgrades I should hear? It was recorded on an old green BASF C90 tape.

Date: June 19, 2015 19:30

Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger

Not heard those others. I know as soon as it came out around 2003 that a few 'sound experts' jumped on it and tweaked it up a bit. Are there any upgrades I should hear? It was recorded on an old green BASF C90 tape.

Here you have it. Enjoy smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I could add: recorded by Silver Dagger cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 19:36 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:49

Wow, that is indeed a GREAT audience recording. Judging from that I'd say they sounded fantastic in 1973. Thanks for recording that Dagger and thanks for posting it kleerie.

Dagger did you ever think people would be so delighted by your efforts from 43 years ago? It seems you were ahead of your time to think to do this way back then.

A few questions:

Were many people making audience recordings back then?

What cassette recorder did you use (if you can remember)? It must have had a input level control, no?

Where were you sitting to get such a good recording and did you hold up the recorder or mic the whole show?

Thanks.

peace

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 20:15

Sighunt
vox12string
Toronto 1972, 1st show - FANTASTIC sound.

I was under the influence of ergot derivatives so that might have had something to do with it.

Stones, Toronto 1972. My first show. I don't remember too much about it other than the Stones were great. I wasn't totally familiar with the Exile material at that point, but I was excited hearing everything else they played.

Montreal, July 17,1972. The Stone's equipment trailer had been parked outside the venue (The Montreal Forum) the night before and someone had somehow managed to plant and successfully detonate a bomb inside the trailer which of course resulted in the destruction of their sound system. A replacement system was flown in that day and the show continued on as scheduled that night. I had a floor seat about 20 rows back and was really looking forward to what I thought was going to be a great sound but was just mediocre. It resembled the wall of noise others here have spoken of. Apparently Stevie Wonder was the opening act but I have zero recollection of his being there. They played a relatively short set back then, 15 songs and the only two I can remember hearing were Virginia and Flash. I too was under the influence of some pretty heavy medication on that night. Felt a great emptiness once the show was over.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 19, 2015 21:05

kleermaker
drbryant

Didn't you recall Taylor's guitar producing the most audible and recognizable sound?

Absolutely. Taylor's guitar cutting through the mix; never imagined music could sound so much better live - basically made me a fan of live performances for life.

But I don't remember the rest of the sound being muddy as others have described. I remember it more as a solid wall of sound, with guitars mixed very loud. Might have benefited from the small size of the venue.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 19, 2015 22:44

The open air show I saw in 1973 (and taped) was sloppy. Maybe it was because it was a daytime performance.
Maybe they were sloppy, the sound was like a garage band rehearsal, I was expecting Ya ya's 69, but got Hyde park 69

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 19, 2015 22:46

KC 6/6/72 - so loud you could feel the wind coming off the row of Ampeg amps - pure intensity - only drawback was echo from the hall. That was when Keith laid out massive slabs of rhythm - huge thick chords - no weaving going on - Keith on rhythm and taylor on leads (exceptions: Keith leads on Bitch and Bye Bye Johnie)

Just straight and raw (difference between Brussels and 72, is that 72 seems more raw, less refined to my ears).

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home