Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2002 Sessions in Paris - they did record 30+ songs !
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 26, 2013 10:53

gotdablouse
ryanpow
"Still In..." Recut... maybe a re-working of the Paris Outtake "Still in love with You" ?

Do you mean "Still in Love"? Yes there are three known different generations that's what I posted in my first message above ;-)

@DandelionPowderman - I didn't remember "I only found out yesterday", is it a bonus on SAL, or at the end? Need to look at it again ;-)

@Doc - I didn't realize you could hear anything when standing outside at Guillaume Tell in Suresnes, did they leave the doors open at times? The people who were in Bondy and who'd been to Suresnes in August when D&G and OMS were recorded said they couldn't hear anything.

James Kirk
On the other hand if the four that surfaced were the best of the lot do you really want to hear the other 20 something songs?

Absolutely! Can't be worse than listening to the 4 90 minute cassettes of the Rotterdam De Doelen tapes ;-) Hopefully someone got to keep a mixdown on a CD or K7 like Chuch Magee did for the SW sessions and that tape finally surfaced in 2006...

Thank you Magee and Rip for Sw sessions in rough version and for "for your precious love" another gem

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 26, 2013 14:13

Doc
The studio backdorr was open and you could hear almost evrything.
They started riffing, made the riff evolve into another riff and so on
Then Mick started mumbling something that wasn't real lyrics
If I remember well I heard them work on it at least 2 days (not continually of course) but when a few friends and I heard the final cut on FL we immediately new what it was.
If you could hear easily, your tape recorder too. eye popping smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 26, 2013 14:34

gotdablouse
Some of us probably remember Keith coming out of the Paris 2002 sessions at the Guillaume Tell studios (May 13 - June 7) saying that it was the best music that they had recorded in years (well they hadn't recorded together since 1997 after all) and that they had more than 30 songs (actually Ronnie may have said that...), anyway I was taking a peak at my Four Flicks DVD for the first time in years and noticed this during the "Don't Stop" segment :

So it seems that they did indeed record 38 songs, of which only 7 have surfaced, including two jams :

1. Don't Stop
2. Keys To Your Love
3. Stealing My Heart
4. Losing My Touch
5. Extreme Western Grip
6. Well Well
7. Hurricane

Looking at the above picture, it seems they might have taken another shot at..."Still in Love" that was first attempted in 1979, again in 1982 and again in 1985 (aka Ralph's Tune).

Anyone ever heard any of these other 31 unreleased tracks/jams on some uncirculating tapes out there?

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: January 26, 2013 15:05

Maybe some of these tracks will be released in a "Tattoo You" kind of way in the summer as a "brand-new" album.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 26, 2013 16:31

ryanpow
gotdablouse
ryanpow
"Still In..." Recut... maybe a re-working of the Paris Outtake "Still in love with You" ?

Do you mean "Still in Love"? Yes there are three known different generations that's what I posted in my first message above ;-)
Of course, I missed that reading too fast in the morning. I would be interested in hearing that one get finished up. Always liked the outtake I have which I believe is from 79. It has mick singing on it. its really just part of a song but I like it.

Yes the first version is really short, something like a minute and a half, I remember seeing that CD (called "Still in Love", or "ER Sessions" at a record fair at Austerlitz sometime around 1990, think the guy was asking FF110, but I passed ;-) Hum can't find that CD now (a golden cover I think) and the boots database doesn't have it [www.dbboots.com] and they don't know about the best version of SIL called "Ralph's Tune"...ah but YT has it :

- it came out on a Keith bootleg for some reason but it's definitely Mick singing (off-mike), wonder where they got the title from too!

@KRiffhard - ok but now we have a screenshot (took me some time to get it right too) and a better title that will hopefully come up in a search. I need to ask bv to give an option to search in titles only, as now, even with a lot of goodwill it's generally impossible to find stuff quickly...although of course many people don't spend enough time using a concise and specific title...

@Doc - great story ! No recordings ? I wonder if the setup hasn't changed at Guillaume Tell because I remember pics from 2002 where you could see them getting out of cars in what looked like a parking lot in a back yard. In 2012 the pictures showed them just walking out of the studio and walking to their car parked on the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 16:32 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 26, 2013 17:42

Still in love on Compass point work VOL I : 1'42" only
THINK YOU LIKE IT DAC 109 & undercover outtakes (Rogue) : more than 5 minutes in pretty good quality

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 20:37 by toomuchforme.

Date: January 26, 2013 18:12

Yeah these are versions 1/1979 (vocal) and 2/1982 (instrumental), "Ralph's Tune" is v3 with off-mike vocal from 1985 probably, 7'26", see the YT link above.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 26, 2013 19:01

A lovely little tune. Given the piano version are from 82 and 85, I think that must be chuck tickling the ivories.

Date: February 18, 2013 10:55

aprilfool
Doc
The studio backdorr was open and you could hear almost evrything.
They started riffing, made the riff evolve into another riff and so on
Then Mick started mumbling something that wasn't real lyrics
If I remember well I heard them work on it at least 2 days (not continually of course) but when a few friends and I heard the final cut on FL we immediately new what it was.
If you could hear easily, your tape recorder too. eye popping smiley

Yeah and the endless riffing you describe to come up with "Don't Stop" doesn't really jive with the fact that Matt Clifford got a pre-production credit? Sounds more like the way Keith works. It would make more sense for Mick to have showed up with the three 40 licks tracks (and others) like he did for "Doom & Gloom"...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:14

Sorry guys, I didn't record anything.

The fact is that this is the way they played but this was at the beginning of their stay. Having a pre-production does not mean that the band can't get comfortable with the track trying to squeeze it in different ways before recording it.

If Jagger came with a demo, it definitely got probed and probably somewhat modified by the other members' input...
The only thing I can talk about is what I heard from outside.

Could be intersting to hear this pre-production Mick supposedly came with.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: February 18, 2013 18:05

Well it's not "supposedly", it's in the official credits and Matt Clifford wouldn't have gotten "pre-production" credits if there hadn't been a demo. I guess another possibility is that what you heard was not work on "Don't Stop" but something else that didn't pan out.

Guess we'll never know unless recordings of these sessions leak one day. Not something that should be discounted looking at what happened (17 years after the fact) to some of the SW tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-18 18:06 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home