Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Money (That’s What I Want)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 22, 2013 06:10

lazzzybones
Only Stones cover they did that makes me cringe...

Yes, this & Come On. Both okay, but basically pointless covers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 22, 2013 07:12

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 07:41

Man John Lee should have won that court case! Very similar. At least the lyrics.

Yeah, I understand where some folks are coming from about equating The Stones version with punk. And yeah, The Beatles version is very well produced, but not sure I would say it was slick. Pretty heavy r and b to me, and again, Lennon's vocal is shredding it up. Very heavy. The Stones version sounds rushed, messy, badly produced and just not the dynamics that would have made it better. Seemed like they just rushed through it to get it done.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 22, 2013 08:01

24FPS
Barrett Strong's version is jazz. The Beatles version is pop. The Stones version is f-ing rock and roll dirty ass punk in your face.

grinning smiley That's f-ing true so I rest my case....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 22, 2013 08:07

Has some of that John Lee Hooker stop/start stutter shuffle guitar thang that is of course at the start of "Honky Tonk Women" and Billy Gibbons "La Grange".

Forget Ry Cooder, it came from John Lee Hooker, maybe via Ry Cooder to the Stones, but it came from John Lee Hooker.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-22 08:12 by howled.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2013 09:25

Man John Lee should have won that court case! Very similar. At least the lyrics.

Yeah but Hooker borrowed from the original and cut it in New York about 6 months after the Barrett Strong version ...

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2013 09:27

...and this is the cool bit about the original ... two white guys wandering in and sittin' in on the session

ROCKMAN

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 22, 2013 09:56

That it is money Stones wants is perfectly clear by the way Stones acts and the low tax they pay. Stones always did the same thing as the Beatles, only 3 monts after, so they did a pointless cover of the same song the Beatles allready covered.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 13:44

Very good hunting Rockman! Historian extrodinaire!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:08

Beatles do the best version of Money by FAR!!

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:36

Here's an article from a Beatles blog.

[www.beatlesebooks.com]

The writing of the song has a good degree of controversy, which requires a bit of speculation. The appearance of a very similar blues song by John Lee Hooker, entitled “I Need Some Money,” creates the problem. His song, recorded on February 9th, 1960 and released that June, is almost identical in lyrics and melody line. Hooker claims songwriting for his tune, as well as copyright, which may indicate that he had been performing the song well before Berry Gordy and Janie Bradford had allegedly written their song. Either way, neither party has taken the other to court, which rests the matter in the hands of speculation.

I was sure it did go to court and Hooker lost. Need to check
-

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:51

From the originals versions site

[www.originals.be]

The Doors cover 1970

The Doors credit John Lee Hooker who once earned a living in the same Detroit auto parts assembly line as Barrett Strong (and the whole Motown direction board). Maybe Barrett was influenced by his colleague. On the other hand, the Doors also credit Crawling King Snake to John Lee Hooker (see there).

More blogs with info

[werewolf.co.nz]

[answers.yahoo.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-22 22:01 by rumple21.

Posted by: rocvoc ()
Date: January 29, 2013 14:53

A friend of mine pointed me to an interesting rendition of Money That's What I Want by a group I've never heard before. The group is called Long Day Sin and their web page is [ldsin.com]. Check it out and let me know what you guys think of this cover?

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 29, 2013 15:16

Seeing that John Lee Hooker's "I Need Some Money" was recorded later than the first recorded version of "Money (That's What I Want)" then it looks like Barrett Strong was the first version and John Lee Hooker changed a few of the lyrics for "I Need Some Money" shortly after.

The John Lee Hooker 45 single of Money (see below) has the songwriter as Berry Gordy which is the original songwriter for "Money (That's What I Want)".

If John Lee Hooker did write it then his name would be on the songwriters credit, but it ain't and it's Berry Gordy that is the songwriter on John Lee Hooker's version of Money.

[www.whosampled.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-29 15:32 by howled.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 15:34

24FPS
Barrett Strong's version is jazz. The Beatles version is pop. The Stones version is f-ing rock and roll dirty ass punk in your face.

Stones version is the most aggressive. Yeah it's PUNK. Great.

Posted by: rocvoc ()
Date: January 30, 2013 15:13

It's amazing how many artists have covered Money That's What I Want. I came across a version by Long Day Sin that takes this song into a whole new dimension using middle-eastern rhythms and vocals. It's pretty cool. Check it out and let me know what you think of this version?

Date: January 30, 2013 23:00

BOOGIE MAN --- page 244 ----------------- Charles Shaar Murray

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 1, 2013 19:40

For a Classic Motown Song About Money, Credit Is What He Wants

DETROIT — On the lawn outside Motown Records’ former headquarters here, a historical marker honors the pivotal role that the song “Money (That’s What I Want)” played in building the Motown empire. With its hypnotic piano riff and unabashedly materialistic refrain, “Money,” recorded in 1959, was the first national success for the label that came to be known as “Hitsville U.S.A.,” giving the fledgling company credibility and a vital infusion of cash.

Over the years, “Money” has generated millions of dollars in publishing royalties. It was recorded by both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, has been widely used in films and advertisements and is now featured in “Motown: The Musical” on Broadway. But the pianist and singer Barrett Strong, who first recorded “Money” and, according to records at the United States Copyright Office in Washington, was originally listed as a writer of the song, says that he has never seen a penny of those profits.

Full article:

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 1, 2013 20:11

Just because The Beatles version is better produced, doesn't make it 'slick' or 'pop'. It is extremely well performed and sounds very raw.

The Stones version is wrong in so many ways. It is not very well performed, it is played too fast of what they are cable of and it is muffled produced. One of their worst recordings. Just because it is badly produced, doesn't make it 'punk' or 'in your face'.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 2, 2013 03:23

latebloomer
For a Classic Motown Song About Money, Credit Is What He Wants

DETROIT — On the lawn outside Motown Records’ former headquarters here, a historical marker honors the pivotal role that the song “Money (That’s What I Want)” played in building the Motown empire. With its hypnotic piano riff and unabashedly materialistic refrain, “Money,” recorded in 1959, was the first national success for the label that came to be known as “Hitsville U.S.A.,” giving the fledgling company credibility and a vital infusion of cash.

Over the years, “Money” has generated millions of dollars in publishing royalties. It was recorded by both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, has been widely used in films and advertisements and is now featured in “Motown: The Musical” on Broadway. But the pianist and singer Barrett Strong, who first recorded “Money” and, according to records at the United States Copyright Office in Washington, was originally listed as a writer of the song, says that he has never seen a penny of those profits.

Full article:

[www.nytimes.com]

Read the article in The Times today. Berry Gordy seems to have been as big of a cheat as so many of the white label execs were at the time - knowing having the writing/publishing was where the money was at. Thankfully, Barrett Strong got income from some of the other classics he co-wrote.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 2, 2013 04:15

Nothing beats this version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 11:52 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 2, 2013 05:51

re Barrett Strong, the NYTimes story (on the front page no less) made me sad remembering how many artists and writers I knew...know who were ripped off by Berry Gordy.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 2, 2013 15:24

I read the article and it is sad. Mr. Strong was taken as so many artists were back in the day. He clearly does not have a business mind. The man should have been beyond rich having co-written I Heard It Through the Grapevine. But he sold the rights for two million dollars. I don't like legal stuff but Barrett should have hired a lawyer! It is too bad. This man should have been paid.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home