Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Sumlin disc out today in US
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 25, 2005 19:51

I'll be picking it up later tonite - anyone have and care to offer an early opinion?

Re: New Sumlin disc out today in US
Posted by: the juf ()
Date: January 25, 2005 20:16

it is fabulous, a must-have! I've played several times and it is sooooo good!
It is a tribute to Muddy Waters.

Last week I interviewed mr sumlin on his new album and his work with the Stones, Keith in particular!
more to come soon on the Forty Licks Fanclub site.

the juf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2005 23:17

Hey juf would love to read the complete interview you did with Hubert.

Where do I find? Link or can you email it to me please?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 26, 2005 23:32

So - I just got my first listen and here's a mini-review:

THE highlight of the disc is the final track and the only one featuring Hubert on vocals - he does a wonderful acoustic guitar interplay with Keith on a self-penned tune. Interesting that this is the highlight - as the theme of the (rest of the) album is Muddy Waters tunes.

The only problem, per se, with the rest of the album is that it only makes you (at least, me) wanna play the originals....none of these even sniff the greatness of the Muddy originals. In that respect, it reminds me alot of Jimmy Rogers' final album, Blues Blues Blues...a fine album (and one that also features Keith -- and Mick -- on 3 tracks)...but nothing ground-breaking. Both nice listens.

Keith turns in a serviceable vocal on Still a Fool (but, really he's not much of a blues singer). Clapton probably comes off the best among the vocal performers (aside from Hubert). Other nice vocal contributions by Blondie Chaplin, David Johansen and others.

Hubert's leads steal the show, here, though. If you're expecting some wicked guitar from Keith, you'll be disappointed. He's here as a sideman on three tracks - nice, but nothing special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-27 00:02 by T&A.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 27, 2005 00:48

Damned if Hubert Sumlin isn't going to be in concert tomorrow night near my home. Unfortunately so too is my cousin's satire troupe. It'll be fun to see her nonetheless.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home