Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are current economics making the Stones more 'Eurocentric'?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:40

Has the U.S. economy gotten so bad that the Stones are looking more to Europe for their upcoming concerts? It used to be that the Stones first toured the States before turning to the rest of the world the next year. And with the Stones making so little from recordings, and the bulk of their paydays are from live work, has the U.S. simply become less important? As an American I keep hearing how terrible Europe is doing, and yet I see the British Pound and the Euro stubbornly high against the Dollar. The Euro started out at 83-cents to the Dollar, it rose to as high as 1.50, and it sits there at 1.30, rarely ever going below 1.25, no matter the dire financial news coming out of Europe.

Even if the Stones still tour the U.S, in maybe a configuration that sets up shop for a multi-night stand in major cities, the rumors so far are all about the Stones playing European locations. Of course most of those rumors are UK locations. So, is England doing better financially than what's being reported?

Re: Are current economics making the Stones more 'Eurocentric'?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 12, 2013 21:24

With years of "austerity measures" in effect, it is doubtful that the UK is better off than the U.S. at this point. A global economy means that just about everyone suffers at once. The British pound, for instance, has always been priced high against the dollar, often by as much as 2 to 1 [i.e., 2 dollars for every pound], so it's not surprising that a common Euro currency would be priced higher than the dollar as well--of course, Euro-zone countries have smaller populations and economies and the leading economy in the Euro zone [Germany] is the world's third biggest economic force.

The Stones will never ignore the U.S. market--whenever they have product to put out, be it album, DVD, concert sales, or pay-per-view, they always do well. The recent run of shows [not counting the Trabendo "warm up" and the other "invitation only" performance] had 3 in the U.S. and 2 in the UK. It no longer matters that they traditionally started tours in the U.S. and played European dates the year after, because it appears The Stones are no longer interested in touring in the fashion in which they once did, both in terms of logistics and duration.

The only difference in the next round of upcoming U.S. dates will be that you may have to take the added expense of time and travel/hotel to attend a Stones concert, but if you can afford ticket prices in this decade you can likely afford additional expenses as well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 12, 2013 22:38

"Re: Are current economics making the Stones more 'Eurocentric'?"

I think it's due to the fact that they wanted to reopen the live thing where they had closed it in 2007 (that is in London) and the fact that the guy who gave them X mil for a private show was in Paris.
So most of the action took place in Europe. But imo that's strictly accidental.

If D. Trump had opened his wallet the Trabendo club-show would have taken place at the Terminal 5 in NYC! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 22:39 by dcba.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:13

If so, Latin America should certainly be in the scope and
adding Colombia to the usual Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, makes
sense.

I believe The Stones played Chile once before. Chile should
also be in the list.

Panama is the Latin American country with the strongest economy
and largest aerial connectivity, but I don't think there's a venue
good and large enough to hold the Stones. Maybe on their 60th anniversary.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:14

Would Obama's tax increases affect the Stones? They're so tax conscious. A Daily Mail story in Aug, 2006 said that "on their earnings of £242 million over the past 20 years...[the Stones] have paid just £3.9 million in tax...1.6 percent...Documents published in Holland show that Sir Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards used offshore trusts and companies to ensure tax breaks. [They] hand over their estates to two foundations in Holland. Their fortunes have been secretly invested in the country for the past 35 years."

So maybe they have a way around the USA tax increases.

Gerard Depardieu famously just ditched French citizenship in favor of Russian to avoid taxes.

Stones tax story here >>> [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 04:25 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:38

24FPS
Has the U.S. economy gotten so bad that the Stones are looking more to Europe for their upcoming concerts? It used to be that the Stones first toured the States before turning to the rest of the world the next year. And with the Stones making so little from recordings, and the bulk of their paydays are from live work, has the U.S. simply become less important? As an American I keep hearing how terrible Europe is doing, and yet I see the British Pound and the Euro stubbornly high against the Dollar. The Euro started out at 83-cents to the Dollar, it rose to as high as 1.50, and it sits there at 1.30, rarely ever going below 1.25, no matter the dire financial news coming out of Europe.

• Greece
• Italy
• Spain
• ;—)

Even if the Stones still tour the U.S, in maybe a configuration that sets up shop for a multi-night stand in major cities, the rumors so far are all about the Stones playing European locations. Of course most of those rumors are UK locations. So, is England doing better financially than what's being reported?

April 14th Coachella Festival 2013, Indio, CA, USA which no one believes along with the others.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:53

Since money is the ONLY, ONLY thing that motiviates these people, I would say they go where people are going to pay. And judging by this recent bout, there's no shortage of people bending over and spreading for them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 13, 2013 05:47

I think in all these statements you forgot one thing: The Rolling Stones will weigh their offers given to them. So despite the economics the Rolling Stones will choose wisely and then decide the locations. The 5 Concerts gave them the confidence that they are on the right track and know what the audience ist expecting.

Don't forget the economics are bad only for a certain percentage of the population in the country this might be big portion in some countries or lesser in some countries. Furthermore it also depends on the people willing to spend such ticket prices. For instance Switzerland is surely in a very good position, but 99.9% of the Swiss are mostlikely not willing to pay such ticket prices. Then again most ticket prices I bought for top acts have been cheaper in Switzerland then for instance in Germany despite the exchange rate.

So we all have our hopes and dreams. I just hope for arena shows and NO stadium shows and hopefully they fit to our holidays.

I also think that most of the concert dates will be announced in a short term like in 2012 for the 5 concerts. Risks of Illness or just difficult situations will surely be considdered.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 13, 2013 05:50

They can play in The Bunker for peanuts and cheeeeeeeeers ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 13, 2013 09:57

I'm not an economist but I think its pretty sluggish everywhere right now, like a wet sponge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 09:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 13, 2013 12:01

The Stones should make a tour of major cities in China, they have the money!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 13, 2013 12:59

24FPS

I attended both London shows, and then spent a week in NYC to catch the three U.S. shows. Participating in various threads concerning buying or trading tickets and then subsequently attending those shows and meeting up with people, my general perception overall is that although there was lots of bitching and moaning about the ticket prices on both sides of the Atlantic, I've come away with the impression that the U.S. has been less forgiving than the UK/Europe about the pricing.

There are better off and less well off people everywhere, but as a generalisation, I think perhaps the pricing structure of these gigs created somewhat more of a furore in the U.S. than on the European side of the pond. Or perhaps as usual, we Brits moaned and groaned initially, and then lapsed into the customary state of complacency and paid up anyway. Whereas in the U.S. I got the impression that a somewhat larger proportion of people actually stuck to their principles and simply did not pay for the higher priced seats; they either bought lower priced ones or otherwise simply didn't go to the shows.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 13, 2013 13:24

paulywaul
24FPS

I attended both London shows, and then spent a week in NYC to catch the three U.S. shows. Participating in various threads concerning buying or trading tickets and then subsequently attending those shows and meeting up with people, my general perception overall is that although there was lots of bitching and moaning about the ticket prices on both sides of the Atlantic, I've come away with the impression that the U.S. has been less forgiving than the UK/Europe about the pricing.

There are better off and less well off people everywhere, but as a generalisation, I think perhaps the pricing structure of these gigs created somewhat more of a furore in the U.S. than on the European side of the pond. Or perhaps as usual, we Brits moaned and groaned initially, and then lapsed into the customary state of complacency and paid up anyway. Whereas in the U.S. I got the impression that a somewhat larger proportion of people actually stuck to their principles and simply did not pay for the higher priced seats; they either bought lower priced ones or otherwise simply didn't go to the shows.

Hi Paulywaul! Were you on all 5 concerts? You must be a big fan. What do you work with? Regards Talkcheap

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 13, 2013 13:48

Yes I was at all 5, and so were lots of other people too .............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 13, 2013 13:58

Don't think EU economics is much better than US economy. Rather on the contrary. GDP pr. person US is far better than in EU, US annual GDP growth is better than in EU.
Of course, you can find some EU countries that are doing better than US in general, but you can also find states in US that are doing better than US in general.
So, I don't think current economics are making Stones more Eurocentric.

You can neither relate economic situation to the currency - if that was the case, Japan would be in deep shit - which is not the case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 15:02 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 13, 2013 13:59

No

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 13, 2013 19:04

Title5Take1
Would Obama's tax increases affect the Stones? They're so tax conscious. A Daily Mail story in Aug, 2006 said that "on their earnings of £242 million over the past 20 years...[the Stones] have paid just £3.9 million in tax...1.6 percent...Documents published in Holland show that Sir Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards used offshore trusts and companies to ensure tax breaks. [They] hand over their estates to two foundations in Holland. Their fortunes have been secretly invested in the country for the past 35 years."

So maybe they have a way around the USA tax increases.

Gerard Depardieu famously just ditched French citizenship in favor of Russian to avoid taxes.

Stones tax story here >>> [www.dailymail.co.uk]

"The band started banking in Holland in 1972 because, reportedly they did not trust British finance houses. Under Dutch law, there is no direct tax on royalties. They have been tax exiles ever since - meaning they cannot make Britain their main home."

I thought that Charlie has always had Britain as his main/only home? And where does Mick live mostly?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1182
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home