Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What are the Grrr! Worldwide sales?!
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 17:41

Anybody knows about it?!?Maybe 500-600.000 or what?!

Re: What are the Grrr! Worldwide sales?!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2013 17:53

I think the fact that we even have to ask for this information is ridiculous.

I vote that when GeorgeLicks contract comes for renewal we begin the search for a replacement statistician for IORR.

Either that or we give him one last chance, albeit with a written warning to his file.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 19:24

I think you should ask Grregory!!

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 10, 2013 23:46

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:37

No one wants to go up to the salespeople and ask if they have "GRRR" in stock.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:38

I want to hear Mick introduce a song as, "This is from our new album, GRRR"...

Especially Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 05:41 by riverrat.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:22

This album is a door-opener for new young fans...I know about a couple of them being around 15 years old...cool Stones...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 11, 2013 11:38

riverrat
No one wants to go up to the salespeople and ask if they have "GRRR" in stock.

I have found it to be a great way to meet cute saleswomen.... Grring at them seems to turn some of them on, although I have received a fair number of slaps from others, but there was never an extra charge for that.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: January 11, 2013 12:14

Should be at roughly a million or a little more. It's consistently selling about 150.000 - 190.000 units per week.

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 12:15 by ThatsWhatISay.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 11, 2013 17:07

treaclefingers
I think the fact that we even have to ask for this information is ridiculous.

I vote that when GeorgeLicks contract comes for renewal we begin the search for a replacement statistician for IORR.

Either that or we give him one last chance, albeit with a written warning to his file.

While I hope that GeorgeLicks takes this with a sense of humor, I thought this was a riot.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 11, 2013 17:18

According to “Mediatraffic”, “Grrr!” has sold 1,011,000 copies worldwide so far, being at #12 on it’s 7th week (tomorrow, Saturday, we can see the numbers –sales and position- of the 8th week).

According to the other global chart, named “musicchart”, “Grrr!” has sold about 100,000 copies more, so far (reported 973,000 but on the 6th album’s week).

According to “Mediatraffic”, the “run” of “Grrr!” is: #5, #11, #11, #12, #9, #12, #12

According to “Musicchart”: #3, #10, #9, #12, #11, #11

Very good global sales anyway, i think.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 11, 2013 19:07

amazing

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 11, 2013 19:53

I know quite a lot of "non fans" who have bought it. A triple cd for a tenner is a good way in IMO.

I must admit that this is the only album I haven't bought on release day. I'm saving for the deluxe one as I think omitting IWBYM was a travesty !

sc uk

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 11, 2013 20:30

In Germany at least its doing quite good.But there have been times when 1 million worldwide wasn't a big number.

It's been discussed before but I forgot. How do they count all these different 2/3/5 . . disc releases?

Date: January 12, 2013 02:25

Not only in Germany, CousinC...

Yes, there have been times when 1 million worldwide wasn't a big number. But nowadays that's a very satisfying number. I could say “amazing”, as alhavu1 did, considering the fact that "Grrr!" is "just another compilation", that have been labelled as “useless” by many, many fans.

Nowadays we can see albums which are going to #1 of the global chart selling less than 400,000 or 350,000 copies on the particular week. Ten years ago, weekly numbers like these many times have not been enough for a #1 of the US chart ...

As for your question: as georgelicks comfirmed recently, they count "Grrr!" = 1 album. No matter how many discs it includes.

Date: January 13, 2013 14:09

That figure is even more astonishing if you keep in mind that GRRR! is considerably more expensive than the ordinary 1CD album which sells for $10 - $15.

I also think the whole makeup with the Gorilla theme helped the sales a lot.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 16:40

Does one Grrr sale count as 1, or in multiple disc versions, count 1 per disc?

Date: January 13, 2013 17:15

One "Grrr!" counts as 1.

Date: January 13, 2013 17:40

laertisflash
One "Grrr!" counts as 1.

It can count as a helluva lot more if it shows true anger.

Date: January 13, 2013 18:49

treaclefingers, your thought could be a strong anti- Stones argument: "The only reason why 'Grrr!' sells well is that this horrible gorilla does terrorize the customers in the stores. Shame on you, Stones..."

I think some "censuring all the time" funs could claim something like that, too...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2013 17:33

laertisflash
According to “Mediatraffic”, “Grrr!” has sold 1,011,000 copies worldwide so far, being at #12 on it’s 7th week (tomorrow, Saturday, we can see the numbers –sales and position- of the 8th week).

According to the other global chart, named “musicchart”, “Grrr!” has sold about 100,000 copies more, so far (reported 973,000 but on the 6th album’s week).

According to “Mediatraffic”, the “run” of “Grrr!” is: #5, #11, #11, #12, #9, #12, #12

According to “Musicchart”: #3, #10, #9, #12, #11, #11

Very good global sales anyway, i think.

Any way to compare it to Forty Licks?

Date: January 14, 2013 19:03

laertisflash
treaclefingers, your thought could be a strong anti- Stones argument: "The only reason why 'Grrr!' sells well is that this horrible gorilla does terrorize the customers in the stores. Shame on you, Stones..."

I think some "censuring all the time" funs could claim something like that, too...

I think there are two key negatives to the product that are hurting sales.

1. The title. It would be embarrassing walking into a record store (actually do they even exist anymore?) and asking for the cd.
2. The cover: If you can bring yourself to picking up the cd, you still have to pay for it, and deal with the smirk of that Gen Y sales clerk picking it up with a bemused look on his face, and ringing you up at the cash register.

It's a public humiliation. At least there is the amazon alternative.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 14, 2013 19:54

ThatsWhatISay

Are you suggesting that people bought the CD just to get the artwork?

Date: January 14, 2013 20:14

uhbuhgullayew
ThatsWhatISay

No, but it arouses attention (in a positive way), because it's a very unusual yet interesting theme. The standard advertisement posters are easily overlooked. But it's hard to overlook that gorilla which is a good thing promotion wise.

Date: January 14, 2013 23:41

ThatsWhatISay
uhbuhgullayew
ThatsWhatISay

No, but it arouses attention (in a positive way), because it's a very unusual yet interesting theme. The standard advertisement posters are easily overlooked. But it's hard to overlook that gorilla which is a good thing promotion wise.

We seem to be in disagreement on this.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2013 01:51

ThatsWhatISay

And you bought it, right? Because you like big monkeys on album covers? THAT is a plus for record sales? Undercover had a much better cover. It sold more copies.

You may have a point - only backwards.

Date: January 15, 2013 22:46

GasLightStreet
ThatsWhatISay

And you bought it, right? Because you like big monkeys on album covers? THAT is a plus for record sales? Undercover had a much better cover. It sold more copies.

You may have a point - only backwards.

Yes, I bought the 80-tracks edition because I liked the song selection and always wanted to have a remastered stones compilation that was a worthy representation of their body of work. I also liked the Gorilla theme, but that wasn't the reason why I bought it. As a die hard fan I don't need fancy graphic designs or marketing strategies to buy their releases.

But I'm sure that for the casual fan or music buyer, who is not as well informed about releases as we are here on this board, the conspicuous Gorilla theme was a good thing for attracting attention. I'm not saying the design is good (not bad either), but it's an eye catcher and that certainly helped the sales.
Maybe using social media like facebook also played a role in pushing sales.

Undercover had a nice and saucy design, but compared to the Gorilla it was nothing that particularly stood out. People have seen naked women on album covers before, but a Gorilla with red lips sticking out a tongue? That is pretty unique.
Concerning the sales: Undercover was released in 1983. Back then albums generally sold many more units than they do nowadays. Also, GRRR! is a compilation and more expensive than a 1 CD album. So yeah, of course it didn't sell as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 22:58 by ThatsWhatISay.

Date: January 15, 2013 22:56

We seem to be in disagreement on this.

In what way? That the Gorilla attracted attention? It most certainly did. Compare it to a boring album cover like the one from Bigger Bang and guess what draws more attention on the shelves in music stores or as an advertisement poster on the streets...

Date: January 15, 2013 23:12

I think there are two key negatives to the product that are hurting sales.

1. The title. It would be embarrassing walking into a record store (actually do they even exist anymore?) and asking for the cd.
2. The cover: If you can bring yourself to picking up the cd, you still have to pay for it, and deal with the smirk of that Gen Y sales clerk picking it up with a bemused look on his face, and ringing you up at the cash register.

It's a public humiliation. At least there is the amazon alternative.

I'm sure that none of your two points hurted the sales one bit.
First, if you can't find the CD in a store by yourself you simply ask a clerk "where can I find the new Stones compilation? The one with the gorilla." or something similar. Plenty of ways to ask for it without using the embarrasing "GRRR".
Second, why would anybody be ashamed to pay for it at the checkout?? Just because there is a Gorilla on the cover? C'mon. You can't be serious. Buying a playboy or condoms might make some people feel slightly embarrased when paying, but not THAT! Nobody cares. If you consider that a public humiliation you really need to work on your self esteem.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 16, 2013 00:10

Here in NZ at the local stores it has been in the top 10 until very recently and is still in the top 20. I think that is pretty gopod for a 50 year old group that has had one CD of new material in this millenium, and only 4 since 1989, almost 25 years.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home