Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Musicians???
Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: January 23, 2005 11:55

How many people on this forum are musicians (amateur, semi pro or pro)?

Tell me if you're in a band and what sort of music you play!

There seems to be a lot of knowledge about music on this forum!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-23 13:10 by Stikkyfinger.

Re: Musicians???
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 23, 2005 12:28

I play guitar, bass and a bit of drums (also a bit piano).
Amateur that is. I left my band a couple of months ago, because the music was changing in a punk direction (and I hate punk).
So I have to find myself a new band.
I play guitar since I was 8. Even went to musicschool (is it called that way?) and I'm one of the few that actually finished it.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 23, 2005 12:32

I play guitar on amateur level... I went to music school too for 7 years, but I forgot most of what I learned there. Well, I still can read sheet music if I concentrate.
I'm playing in a band called "The Fallen Angels" with Kent :-)

Date: January 23, 2005 13:15

Well I've never been to music school nor have I had any lessons!

I play electric and acoustic guitars, I play in open tunings, slide guitar, I play harmonica and I sing lead vocals.

I had some theory taught to me at school but not much!

There's hope for people who don't have any lessons!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 23, 2005 13:48

The best ones teach themselves.
I played classical stuff in music school. Especially Bach & Villa Lobos. Tricky stuff and learned a lot from it.
But I had to learn rock & roll, blues, jazz & funk by myself.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 23, 2005 15:52

Guitarist for 20 years now. Self taught. Picked up a guitar because of Keith Richards sound. In a band, same guys for over 10 years, we are good friends but no gigs at this point (life a litle hectic for us, work, family, etc.) playing together for the bottom line reason......its fun.

Milo, NYC
Like an Ice Cream cone

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 23, 2005 15:54

I'm a guitarist on amateur basis. And I sing on a VERY amatuerish level too smiling smiley
I play Stones, Beatles, Bowie the most.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TT ()
Date: January 23, 2005 16:21

I´m the drummer in a great band called "The Rocking Chairs". Muhaha. We even played some dates, the strangest venue was at a re-opening of a public swimming pool. The people were swimming while we were playing "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Surfin´USA".

We are pure amateurs but the people don´t hear with the music-critic´s ear. They are satisfied when remembering some good old tunes.

I didn´t play until 2000. I taught myself playing Honky Tonk Women (I even make Charlie´s break on the hihat, coincidentally), "Born To Be Wild including that break near the end and lots more. I have a lot of fun;-)

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 23, 2005 17:40

Oops, I think clicked the wrong button, let me try again and I'm sorry if this posts twice. Hey, I'm a drummer cut me some slack....

Yeah, I've been playing drums since I was 12 and I'm 54 now. My first
band was in Detroit when I was about 14 and we played a bunch of Stones
songs. Listed below is a link to my last bands demos...that's me singing Start Me Up.

[artists.iuma.com]

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 23, 2005 18:02

I play guitar for a couple of years now. I have never taken any lessons. I would like to play in a band but i don't have much knowledge of music in the sence of chord progression and scales. How did you self taught guys learnt that?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 23, 2005 18:10

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I play guitar for a couple of years now. I have
> never taken any lessons. I would like to play in a
> band but i don't have much knowledge of music in
> the sence of chord progression and scales. How did
> you self taught guys learnt that?
>
> Wuudy

There's 2 ways really.

1) Get some good tutorial books - there's loads on the internet. Make siure you can play all the most used chords (major, minor,seventh etc) all over the fretboard - learn at least 3 inversions of each (different positions)

2) Play guitar with someone else! Someone you can 'trade licks' with - it can be anyone who can play a note!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 23, 2005 18:20

Thanks Ian!

Can you give a name of a good book?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 23, 2005 18:25

Wuudy Wrote:
> Thanks Ian!
>
> Can you give a name of a good book?
>
> Wuudy

You got mail!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 23, 2005 18:27

Wuudy Wrote:
> I play guitar for a couple of years now. I have
> never taken any lessons. I would like to play in a
> band but i don't have much knowledge of music in
> the sence of chord progression and scales. How did
> you self taught guys learnt that?
>
> Wuudy

Try Ralph Denyer's book 'The Guitar'. It has helped me a lot learning about the subjects you mention. It also has a wealth of other information.

- Koen.

Date: January 23, 2005 18:41

Thanks guys.

I hope this helps me get develop my playing. It's really frustrating when you can play a lot of songs because "copied" them but you don't know much about structures and how and why they play solo's a sertain way!

Mathijs how did you learn how to play? I heard you play at the Kurhaus gig and your sound is awesome. Plus you have a lot of knowledge about theory.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-23 18:43 by Wuudy.

Date: January 23, 2005 18:55

WUUDY!!!! My man. Check out www.freesheetmusic.com for some excellent Stones notes. Also check out www.ultimate-guitar.com and www.olga.net for some lessons in scales and so on. They're really good I'm told. I wouldn't know 'cause I don't use them.

Did you get my mail about our trade BTW???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 23, 2005 21:58

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Check out www.freesheetmusic.com for some excellent Stones notes.

Kent, could you give a more direct link? If I type in Rolling Stones in the search field, I only get a page to download mp3s.

- Koen.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 23, 2005 22:33

I used to do 50-60 gigs a year with a coverband called Strange Fruit (yes, like in the movie, but we where first...) playing bass and singing back-up. Me and the singer used to do Happy, singe one line each. The whole band came together because of our love for the Stones, so we used to do many Stonescovers.
I also play the drums (did that with another coverband in the mid 80:s), and a mean guitar, or so my kids think anywaysmiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: January 23, 2005 22:50

Koen: You need to search "Rolling Stones Chords" or "Rolling Stones Chords" I think. I never use it though. One of my pals told me about it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 23, 2005 23:53

Oh God, has it been that long? Ahhh yes....40 years ago I started formal guitar lessons on a sky blue kalamazoo electric guitar, all funded by my grandparents, and I hated it. LOL how many ever had to go through the "Mel Bay" training? After about 6 months, the guitar went under the bed.

It came out again late in high school years. I finished my undergrad college years at a big music school to absorb from the musicians since I took no classes. I n the nearly three decades since, I have played amateur all the way, unfortunately forgotten a lot of theorey, but can still learn REALLY SLOWLY form sheet music. I have always found that playing with others is what forces me to expand my ability. Unfortuantely now I live on a very tiny Pacific island and that opportunity just does not exsit any more.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2005 01:07

I play acoustic music influenced by Celtic/Irish traditional music, on a semi-professional basis. Play Irish bouzouki, mandola, mandolin, and, yes, the guitar, write most of the songs and tunes I play, have released several CDs, do about 25 to 30 gigs a year basically in Germany (folk clubs, theatres and folk festivals). My music has NOTHING to do with Stones music, but that's a different story.Visit my website if you like (Sorry, all in German).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2005 01:14

Ah, I almost forgot:
it's www.peterkerlin.de

Posted by: Jumacfly ()
Date: January 24, 2005 09:58

I play in a rnr band called Well Done Simone....im a bass player and play for 5 years

Date: January 24, 2005 20:23

wahwahwoody Wrote:
> Ah, I almost forgot:
> it's www.peterkerlin.de

Hello Peter!

This is a nice professional looking site. Well worth a visit!

I've just listened to 'Austrian Lake' and it's very soothing!!!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 24, 2005 20:45

guitar + piano. Years ago I wanted to follow Bon Scott's advice: quit the lawyer man and be a r'n'r star. I'm still working on it!

C

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: January 24, 2005 21:57

I am a guitar player but VERY amateur

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 25, 2005 11:15

I play guitar at home, so very amateur too. Used to play in a band when I was a teenager, but it's quite (a long) time ago... Now I only play for fun, sometimes along with a friend who plays guitar too.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: January 25, 2005 13:06

Just started a new band two weeks ago. One song is ready.

Date: January 25, 2005 15:03

I used to play in a band called "The Southern Diplomats". We wrote a lot of our own songs, but also played some covers. We broke up after leaving college. I still play some guitar (at home) and just started writing songs again.

- Koen.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 10, 2005 19:25

I play harmonica! My band is called "Slivovitz" (that's what my mickname is linked to), and our music isn't any stones-related...we define it "ethno - funk", but this definition is not exhaustive, I think...

www.slivovitz.net is the website, if you'd like to check it out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-10 23:19 by Wild Slivovitz.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home