Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Concert tour packages?
Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: January 3, 2013 02:06

What are your recollections of these in the past — where prime tickets would be bundled together with transportation, hotel, etc. Used one before? What all was included?

One of the reasons for what seems like a delay to us, in the Stones rolling out a next tour itinerary, is undoubtedly that the tour promoter [The Dainty Group] with Branson is also now forming up VirginLlive to compete with LiveNation and A.E.G. and is using the Stones tour to launch that. That statement was made early on.

So, for those of you using or who have used, concert tour packages, what's been included as basics? As extras? Must be pretty attractive for all.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Re: Concert tour packages?
Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 3, 2013 02:27

The previous packages on Licks Tour and as far as I can recall also on ABB was FanAsylum which run the best program for packages.
We've been in Stockholm for a week during 6 nights and 3 concerts either front of stage or very good seats. It included a four star hotel, breakfast, welcome party and bus services to and from the concert including a kind of VIP room beforehand, if available. We met wonderful people and we had always preentrance and at that time it was a bargain compare to today.
During ABB it was a 2 nights one concert arrangement with similar hotels, but nearly as much as for the 6 nights three concerts in Stockholm.
This time it was much done individually for the five concerts.

We also did a booking for Eventtravel in UK once, but they get never as good tickets as the other agencies like MarkButler this time. He had the best seats, but as you had the wonderful dinnerparty you had no chance to be upfront inside the Pit. We did the VIP thing on Sunday with seats on 6th row A1 in London and no VIP thing inside the Pit on Thursday.

If they would really do a package in the future which includes the accommodation I wonder what price range that would be, as this without any accommodation was quite some money. But it was worth it.

Date: January 3, 2013 06:05

Grison — thanks very much for replying to this.

Grison
The previous packages on Licks Tour and as far as I can recall also on ABB was FanAsylum which run the best program for packages.

I thought that those were run by the Stones then promoter Michael Cohl then with his CPI at the time. When I look at FanAsylum's site now [fanasylum.com] they seem to only have a couple of packages for the same number of groups going although I can also see that they "have worked with" [whatever that means] just short of 100 of the top groups. Wouldn't be surprised to find that the likes of LiveNation or A.E.G., may be eating their lunch as the expression goes. Maybe they do some sort of a "sub" arrangement,.... to these providers of "concert VIP hospitality"

We've been in Stockholm for a week during 6 nights and 3 concerts either front of stage or very good seats. It included a four star hotel, breakfast, welcome party and bus services to and from the concert including a kind of VIP room beforehand, if available. We met wonderful people and we had always preentrance and at that time it was a bargain compare to today.

How exactly do you mean this. Are you referring to the prices of the Stones tickets for these first 5 shows? Or,...?

So that was:

• No air travel element in their package offerings?
• Hotel [but not, you note lower down?]
• Breakfast
• Welcome party at hotel?
• Shuttle to/from concert
• VIP room which had what going?
• Pre-entrance — pre-seating before venue doors opened?

You say today pales by comparison. How so? [Show price?]

Any other perks of any kind offered that maybe to you didn't take?

During ABB it was a 2 nights one concert arrangement with similar hotels, but nearly as much as for the 6 nights three concerts in Stockholm.

This time? Were you on a concert tour package(s) for these just past five show? Do all five? But, individually you say? Which 6 nights three concerts in Stockhom?

We also did a booking for Eventtravel in UK once, but they get never as good tickets as the other agencies like MarkButler this time. He had the best seats, but as you had the wonderful dinnerparty you had no chance to be upfront inside the Pit. We did the VIP thing on Sunday with seats on 6th row A1 in London and no VIP thing inside the Pit on Thursday.

www.markbutler.co.uk/
Could you also please explain the wonderful dinner parties and how that worked to prevent [no chance] to be up front inside the pit? So then I see, you used Mark Butler for the Stones 02 Arena shows? Lucky you! Again, anything else offered?

Sometimes it just makes sense to let them put things together, I know.

If they would really do a package in the future which includes the accommodation I wonder what price range that would be, as this without any accommodation was quite some money. But it was worth it.

As I note above, for those of us further away, why not also the air travel to/from? By the way on your future muse, you want to be in the same hotel with the boys — right? ;—) Real barracuda tanks those lobbies.

Thanks so much again Grison for shining a light.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: January 3, 2013 08:01

see my quotes inside

PeanutGallery
Grison — thanks very much for replying to this.

Grison

I thought that those were run by the Stones then promoter Michael Cohl then with his CPI at the time. When I look at FanAsylum's site now [fanasylum.com] they seem to only have a couple of packages for the same number of groups going although I can also see that they "have worked with" [whatever that means] just short of 100 of the top groups. Wouldn't be surprised to find that the likes of LiveNation or A.E.G., may be eating their lunch as the expression goes. Maybe they do some sort of a "sub" arrangement,.... to these providers of "concert VIP hospitality"

How exactly do you mean this. Are you referring to the prices of the Stones tickets for these first 5 shows? Or,...?

So that was:

• No air travel element in their package offerings? NO, how should they as they don't know where you are travelling from
• Hotel [but not, you note lower down?] of course during LICKS Tour in Stockholm it was included
• Breakfast
• Welcome party at hotel?funny I met a woman from California whose mother went to my grandfather's school in Germany.
• Shuttle to/from concert
• VIP room which had what going?
• Pre-entrance — pre-seating before venue doors opened? yes

You say today pales by comparison. How so? [Show price?]Stockholm 6 nights 3 concerts (stadium arena club shows) USD$ 1950 or so for Licks Tour, ABB Tour NYC or London for 2 nights one concert USD 1750 ca., MarkButler you should know

Any other perks of any kind offered that maybe to you didn't take?

This time? Were you on a concert tour package(s) for these just past five show? Do all five? But, individually you say? Which 6 nights three concerts in Stockhom? please read correctly you mixing up things.

www.markbutler.co.uk/
Could you also please explain the wonderful dinner parties and how that worked to prevent [no chance] to be up front inside the pit? So then I see, you used Mark Butler for the Stones 02 Arena shows? Lucky you! Again, anything else offered? no nothing else, it all depends what you want, what you want to spend etc.

Sometimes it just makes sense to let them put things together, I know.

As I note above, for those of us further away, why not also the air travel to/from? By the way on your future muse, you want to be in the same hotel with the boys — right? ;—) Real barracuda tanks those lobbies.Sorry but don't get obnoxious no band would like to have you in the same level or hotel as you as a fan. If it happens ok, but surely not for such packages.

Thanks so much again Grison for shining a light.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 3, 2013 13:53

do not like them ,because it is just a money grab to pick your pocket.make your own plans and save money!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 3, 2013 16:40

I did the fan asylum package in Amsterdam once. It was great - lots of real fans from all around the world on the package, and they had a nice party the night before. Since Amsterdam was general admission floor, the fan asylum package got you in the venue about 20 minutes before they let everyone else in.

It was very expensive, and I wouldn't usually do it, but the Netherlands is the one country where it's worth it to pay the extra $$$ to be up front, since everyone (and I swear it seems like EVERYONE) is extremely tall.

Of course, in those days, the face price of the ticket was about 90 GBP. The cost of a similar package today would be ridiculous.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 3, 2013 19:16

I did the fan asylum for Slane Castle in 2007. Not worth the money for a couple of reasons:

1. GA - standing room tickets. Standing for 10 hours is not my idea of fun. I would not do GA for any future concerts.

2. After the show our bus could not get back to the venue to pick us up so we had to walk a mile down the road to locate the bus.

The hotel we stayed at was really nice but I could have booked that myself.

Besides getting good seats, I don't see the advantage of the packages.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:08

custom55
I did the fan asylum for Slane Castle in 2007. Not worth the money for a couple of reasons:

1. GA - standing room tickets. Standing for 10 hours is not my idea of fun. I would not do GA for any future concerts.

2. After the show our bus could not get back to the venue to pick us up so we had to walk a mile down the road to locate the bus.

The hotel we stayed at was really nice but I could have booked that myself.

Besides getting good seats, I don't see the advantage of the packages.

Wasn't Slane Castle a festival site? I do agree with you that I would not do it for a festival site. But to get into the show beforehand like arena or clubshows it might be worth it.

I still have contacts from all around the world with people I met in Stockholm and we meet up again once in a while, despite that not all of them did a Package again. You must considder such a package to yourself whether it suits you or not and at the end it is a price issue of course.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:33

TheGreek
do not like them ,because it is just a money grab to pick your pocket.make your own plans and save money!

Greek:

On cardinal rule in life is that things always, just depend — depend on the circumstances at hand. For yourself, the money is of great importance and I think we all understand that. But for some others, less so, and for them, these packages have their very value, in not having to jump through all of the hoops themselves, and possibly, as to the seats, possibly not even as well. In those circumstances, it's not a pocket picking, it's a service. Perhaps overpriced sometimes, and then hopefully, there is competition.

Good luck on getting your own together and beating the packaging man.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: February 7, 2013 06:08

PeanutGallery
What are your recollections of these in the past — where prime tickets would be bundled together with transportation, hotel, etc. Used one before? What all was included?

When are the associated parties given in relationship to shows? On concert day, before the concerts? The day before the concerts?

So, for those of you using or who have used, concert tour packages, what's been included as basics? As extras? Must be pretty attractive for all.

Who put these on for the 3 U.S. 50th Anniversary shows? Mark Butler also. Others?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 7, 2013 07:45

1. The cost is NOT worth it. It might have been back during the Licks tour, but on the recent and upcoming gigs, it will NOT be worth it.

2. You will always meet Stones fans from around the world who are going to the show. Whether the party is part of a package, or you are meeting at the designated IORR/Shidoobee meetup spot, or you just walk into a pub near the venue... you will meet great people and have a blast. In summary: you don't have to pay for friends.

3. Seats... If you can get great seats via Ticketmaster (hate typing that name) then you are set. If you can't you would probably be better off buying them second hand.

The cost of the package - cost of the ticket = cost of the insanely overpriced lanyard, party, transportation and hotel. Not worth it. I'm willing to bet you can spend $2k more wisely!

Date: February 7, 2013 09:39

flacnvinyl
1. The cost is NOT worth it. It might have been back during the Licks tour, but on the recent and upcoming gigs, it will NOT be worth it.

I AGREE PARTLY WITH YOU DEPENDING ON IN WHICH COUNTRY THE PACKAGES ARE ON SALE

2. You will always meet Stones fans from around the world who are going to the show. Whether the party is part of a package, or you are meeting at the designated IORR/Shidoobee meetup spot, or you just walk into a pub near the venue... you will meet great people and have a blast. In summary: you don't have to pay for friends.

THIS IS ALSO CORRECT. HOWEVER WE ALWAYS MEET PEOPLE WHO'S ENGLISH OR FRENCH IS NOT VERY GOOD AND THEY ARE HAPPY THAT SUCH PACKAGES DO EXIST AND THEY FEEL SAVE TO RECEIVE AT LEAST A GOOD TICKET. AND DESPITE THE GAMBLING WITH TICKETMASTER OR EBAY YOU ARE ASSURED TO HAVE A GOOD TICKET

3. Seats... If you can get great seats via Ticketmaster (hate typing that name) then you are set. If you can't you would probably be better off buying them second hand.

SECOND HAND IS AS EXPENSIVE AS PACKAGES AT FIRST PLACE. AT LEAST WHEN YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFUL OF CONCERTS AND TICKETS ARE PLACED RARELY AT EXORBITANT PRICES ON THE INTERNET.

The cost of the package - cost of the ticket = cost of the insanely overpriced lanyard, party, transportation and hotel. Not worth it. I'm willing to bet you can spend $2k more wisely!

OF COURSE YOU MAY CALL IT INSANE. HOWEVER AS UNDER POINT ONE THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE EVEN WITH LESS SALARY WHO SAVE UP THEIR MONEY ONLY TO SEE A CERTAIN GROUP AGAIN AND THEN THEY WOULD LIKE TO ENSURE THE BEST SEATS. FURTHERMORE THE PACKAGE IN DECEMBER IN THE US WERE 50 % MORE EXPENSIVE TO US THEN THE ONES IN UK WERE WE HAD A REALLY GOOD PREPARTY. OVER THE YEARS WE MET VERY NICE PEOPLE DURING THE PACKAGES ALTHOUGH WE DID NOT DO PACKAGES A LOT. BUT IT SHOULD BE EACH ONE'S DECISION TO SPEND HIS MONEY "WISELY" tongue sticking out smiley

Date: March 10, 2013 01:51

Mark Butler & Assoc.

Their parties:

— clearly preferred. How were their meals? On par with the prices?

— how large? 200-250-300 guests? Around 20-25 tables of 10 each?

— many show up for the post-concert hospitality?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: March 10, 2013 01:57

Nothing really comparable to Mark Butler Hospitality for the US dates?

TicketMaster VIP Hospitality?

— Pre-show buffet dinner – specially selected menu, bar (wine, beer, beverages), wait staff service
— One admission ticket to the Rolling Stones New York City Exhibit (separate event not at venue) A $10 value to "Rolling Stones 50" at the Paley Center for Media
www.paleycenter.org/2012-fall-rolling-stones-50/

Come on VirginLive!

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 10, 2013 15:40

I have come to love a GA floor IF the balconeys are reserved and they do a good job of security, allowing only those with a GA wrist band on the floor.

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: March 10, 2013 23:04

In the 80s tour pkgs were reasonable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home