Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Howlin Wolf Sessions
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 20, 2005 22:49

I saw a new release of the Howlin Wolf Sessions with improved, alternate, and unreleased tracks on it. It cost something like $30 US. Has anyone heard this yet? Is it worth the purchase if you already own the original?

Re: Howlin Wolf Sessions
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2005 23:08

Yeah the rehearsal of Worried About You with just Wolf, Wyman & Clapton is great.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 21, 2005 00:24

i didn't find it worth the investment - the best tracks were on the original issue. if you have that, you have what you need.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 21, 2005 00:48

"Always stop at the top"--Howlin Wolf, rehearsal to Little Red Rooster

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 21, 2005 00:53

Smokey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Always stop at the top"--Howlin Wolf, rehearsal
> to Little Red Rooster

Yeah!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 21, 2005 01:26

The original album is very fine late-period Wolf, & unlike some of these Universal expanded 2 cd sets (like Cream's Disreali Gear's, w/ just the 33 minute album in mono on 1 disc, stereo the other, a couple of minor demos, & BBC stuff that already is out on their BBC album!) the 1971 London Sessions is great - I mean Wolf, the great Hubert Sumlin (whose much delayed new cd w/ Keith on 2 tracks is out Jan 25th) & Clapton on guitar, Bill, Charlie, & the great Ian Stewart on much of it as well (Mick was at the sessions & is in some photos, but doesnt play, & Winwood overdubbed some parts later in the US). I mean, Wolf & Hubert w/ the Stones, Clapton filling in for Keith - not as ferocious as his Memphis & early Chicago sides, but fine nevertheless. It's interesting to hear the one odd track with Ringo/Klaus Voorman - so clunky & off the mark compared to BW/CW's effortless swing. 1st disc has 3 outtakes issued later, as well. The 2nd disc is well worth it, alternates, different mixes, longer versions, etc. If you dig blues, the Stones, history, it's imo well worth it!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 21, 2005 13:53

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i didn't find it worth the investment - the best
> tracks were on the original issue. if you have
> that, you have what you need.

Really disagree: on the original album the more commercially atractive cuts were used, on the new release the real gems are issued. I love this album, and anyone who like the Watts/Wyman tandem, early 1970 Clapton and good organic blues music should buy the album. By the way, $30 is way over the top, you can find it for $10 max. Check ebay.

Mathijs

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 21, 2005 16:41

Thanks all...I'm going to get it tonight

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: January 21, 2005 21:32

There is really nothing wrong with the original(classic) album ! You can get the deluxe edition with 2 cd`s (over 100 minutes remastered music with Wolf & friends ) for 11 english pounds at Amazon ! Specially the second disc is full of "uncommercially" great bluesmusic ( with alternately takes ,previously unreleased tracks, false starts , dialogs & so on ) ! And about the cover : Here we a talking really de luxe too ! :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home