Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: I like Led Zepplin, but come on.....
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:26

When Jack said it, I thought it was kind of funny, and I don't think he, or the audience actually believed what he was saying.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:36

rambler44

The Beatles and Stones are woven throughout generations of people from 7-75. Take my 75 year old Mom for example. She can sign along to most Beatles and Stones songs playing but would hardly be able to name 5 Led Zeppelin songs. In fact most people could name 10 Beatles or Stones songs even if they were casual fans. The same can't be said of Zeppelin. Zeppelin has hard core fans, one of which I am, but did not have the impact of the Stones and certainly not the Beatles.

Once again, Beatles, yes. Stones, no.
A LOT of Stones fans have this impression that they're as culturally important as The Beatles.

Not. A. F---ing. Chance.

Sorry.

(MEHHH, so why are you here)

The Stones' music... when they were worthy of Rock God Status (68-81), THAT Rolling Stones is one of my favourite bands, ever. They aren't that band anymore. The Bealtes, I consider musically elemental - untouchable by anyone, now and forever. I dont' listen to them that much (we all went through a Beatles phase at one point). To mention THe Beatles and The Stones together... is VERY falttering for The Stones. Not even debatable for me.

Stones vs Zeppelin - a much more fair comparison for The Stones, but come up short by power and skill, member per member. The Stones will never have the amazing legacy that Zeppelin have. If you isolate The Big Four, then yes, they are near each other. But the STones have pissed on their own legacy so hard, for so long, that they're the most expensive joke in rock now.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 00:52 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:46

treaclefingers
When Jack said it, I thought it was kind of funny, and I don't think he, or the audience actually believed what he was saying.

Yes, of course he was kidding, everyone knows that The Rolling Stones are infinitely more culturally important than any other rock and roll band, but then again they have the added advantage of not being quitters.... they have continued to add to culture, versus short timer quitter bands like the troggs, beatles and hermans hermits and other fly by night, bye bye bands. Sure thay had some good songs, but they are quitters.... ancient history, while The Rolling Stones are headed back out to entertain the world, again.... as they have for as long as most of us can recall....aka forver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 00:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:54

Max'sKansasCity

Yes, of course he was kidding, everyone knows that The Rolling Stones are infinitely more culturally important than any other rock and roll band,

Past tense. Now they're McRock, and verrrrrry stale.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 29, 2012 00:58

Some people in this world may have a 10 second memory, and grow bored very quickly these days, and thus call familar things stale ver yquickly, but... but... ah nevermind.... anyone who this might have helped stopped reading at the 140 chacter limit.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:00

It's within their right to think that Zep was the greatest, poor deluded souls....everyone has a favorite, WE just happen to be behind the REAL greatest band!

Date: December 29, 2012 01:02

THE ROLLING STONES ARE THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE UNIVERSE!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:07

when I think of Zep, i think of asocial kids with zits.
when I think of the Rolling Stones, I think of great music.
Lets say Beatlemania projects a bigger cultural impact,
but musically, the Stones are number one.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:12

Edith Grove
What's up with all these awards organizations ?

Some people like to dress up--dress up to suck up.

Let's get pretentious
Put on an act
Let's get pretentous
Embroider fact
Exaggerate it
Dress up the bland
Let's overrate it
Let the critics be damned
Let's get sensuous
Put on some airs
Let's drink Kailua
And sit bored on the stairs
Let's get excited
When we say hello
Let's be delighted
Though it's nobody we know

PETE TOWNSHEND - LET'S GET PRETENTIOUS LYRICS

Date: December 29, 2012 01:13

71Tele
Geez, all this time I was digging the Stones, Beatles, Who, Costello, Replacements, Dylan, etc, but now Jack Black says Zeppelin was the greatest. Who knew?

Seriously, why does anyone care what this B-lister says about anything?

Jack Black = F-lister

Posted by: atip ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:15

jamesfdouglas
rambler44

The Beatles and Stones are woven throughout generations of people from 7-75. Take my 75 year old Mom for example. She can sign along to most Beatles and Stones songs playing but would hardly be able to name 5 Led Zeppelin songs. In fact most people could name 10 Beatles or Stones songs even if they were casual fans. The same can't be said of Zeppelin. Zeppelin has hard core fans, one of which I am, but did not have the impact of the Stones and certainly not the Beatles.

A LOT of Stones fans have this impression that they're as culturally important as The Beatles.

Not. A. F---ing. Chance.

Sorry.

The Stones' music... when they were worthy of Rock God Status (68-81), THAT Rolling Stones is one of my favourite bands, ever. They aren't that band anymore. The Bealtes, I consider musically elemental - untouchable by anyone, now and forever. I dont' listen to them that much (we all went through a Beatles phase at one point). To mention THe Beatles and The Stones together... is VERY falttering for The Stones. Not even debatable for me.

Stones vs Zeppelin - a much more fair comparison for The Stones, but come up short by power and skill, member per member. The Stones will never have the amazing legacy that Zeppelin have. If you isolate The Big Four, then yes, they are near each other. But the STones have pissed on their own legacy so hard, for so long, that they're the most expensive joke in rock now.

If "culturally important" means The Beatles had a big impact on music, that they did. However, too much of their music is totally dated, in that it doesn't stand up to the test of time, mainly on the McCartney side. Pretty little ditties for the schoolgirls of the time. I'll take Zep and The Stones over that any day. Oh, and The Stones are no joke to me.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:19

How in the wide wide world of sports can anyone bag of good ole Jack Black?
The dude is just a dude... extending his 15 minutes 7 1/2 minutes at a time.

And someday I bet he will sit back, and say.....
"Can you fuhking believe I pulled that shit off?"

I say more power to him,
Cheers smileys with beer Jack Black... no matter what goofy vrap you are paid to say.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:24

Max'sKansasCity
THE ROLLING STONES ARE THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE UNIVERSE!!!

Yes, but are they better than their other versions residing in alternate universes? In some Brian Jones and Bill Wyman are still with the band. In others Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman are still active members. Be fun to skip from universe to universe so we could compare them all.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:25

atip
jamesfdouglas
rambler44

Not. A. F---ing. Chance.

Sorry.

If "culturally important" means The Beatles had a big impact on music, that they did. However, too much of their music is totally dated, in that it doesn't stand up to the test of time, mainly on the McCartney side. Pretty little ditties for the schoolgirls of the time. I'll take Zep and The Stones over that any day. Oh, and The Stones are no joke to me.

That's why every new generation of children since then have discovered and loved the music of The Beatles, which usually begins for them with the Yellow Submarine movie--oh, until they mature and realize what decade they're living in and choose the sterile throwaway pop singers of their time, like Dustbin Beaver, and become Beaverites,.... or something.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:31

MKjan

When I think of Zep I think of a kid banging two garbage can lids together! Excellent noise, but not really music.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:34

JumpinJackOLantern
MKjan

When I think of Zep I think of a kid banging two garbage can lids together! Excellent noise, but not really music.

rock'n'roll isn't really music.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:36

StonesTod
JumpinJackOLantern
MKjan

rock'n'roll isn't really music.

No, but rock n roll music is. All those screaming girls--that's noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 01:38 by stonesnow.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:38

CHUCK DONT LIE!!!

Date: December 29, 2012 01:46

jamesfdouglas
rambler44

Not. A. F---ing. Chance.

Sorry.

At the moment it's a dead heat between the Beatles and the Stones. The Stones surge ahead if they can produce one last great album. Of course the Beatles could then counter with the Sons of the Beatles which could ultimately lift them in the eyes of historians back into a deadlock with the Stones - by virtue of producing better offspring.

James, ever here of the Sonics? They would blow Zep off the stage!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 29, 2012 02:27

Beast of Babylon
The moment jack black said at the Kennedy Center Honors, they were "the greatest rock band in history....better than the beatles and better than the stones".....i turned it off, and threw up in my mouth a little bit. Comparing the beatles and stones to Zepplin is like comparing ice cream to horse manure.....the beatles changed how music was played, recorded, distributed, written and its culture impact. The stones did almost the same thing, but in a different way....by mastering a sound and testing and succeeding in every genre, rock, blues, country, funk, disco and punk. they also created and recreated and recreated and recreated what a live concert should be.

to me, putting them in the same post, let alone sentence is just plain wrong

I've never got Led Zep. And to state their superiority to the Beatles and the Stones or even The Who is just bizarre.

Date: December 29, 2012 02:45

stonesnow
Edith Grove
What's up with all these awards organizations ?

Some people like to dress up--dress up to suck up.

Let's get pretentious
Put on an act
Let's get pretentous
Embroider fact
Exaggerate it
Dress up the bland
Let's overrate it
Let the critics be damned
Let's get sensuous
Put on some airs
Let's drink Kailua
And sit bored on the stairs
Let's get excited
When we say hello
Let's be delighted
Though it's nobody we know

PETE TOWNSHEND - LET'S GET PRETENTIOUS LYRICS

MICK JAGGER - LET'S WORK LYRICS

No sittin' down on your butt
The world don't owe you
No sittin' down in a rut
I wanna show you
Don't waste your energy
On makin' enemies
Just take a deep breathAnd work your way up
Let's work, be proud
Stand tall, touch the clouds
Man and woman, be freeLet's work, kill poverty
Now work your way up
Let's work, be proud
Man and woman, be free
Let's work, kill poverty

You're sittin' down on your butt
And you get greedy
You start to lose your nuts - my personal fave line
Don't you look seedy

Can generosity bring you humility
So take a deep breath

Ain't gonna sweat for you
Ain't gonna sigh for you
Ain't gonna cry for you
If you're lazy
Ain't gonna slave for you
Ain't gonna hurt for you
It just won't work for you
If you're lazy

Come on, come on, come on
Let's work, be proud
Let's work, let's eat
Let's live in ecstasy

Man and woman, be free
Let's work, kill poverty
Let's work, be proud
Man and woman, be free
Let's work, let's work

Get down, get down, get down
Get down in the dirt and let's work
Get up, be free

Get down in the dirt, let's work
Get down in the dirt, take off your shirt

Let's work
Let's work
Let's work
Let's work

Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 02:48

Leave Jimmy alone....

Date: December 29, 2012 02:51

Ain't gonna sweat for you
Ain't gonna sigh for you
Ain't gonna cry for you
If you're lazy
Ain't gonna slave for you
Ain't gonna hurt for you
It just won't work for you
If you're lazy

I wonder if Mick had Keith in mind when writing those lines.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 02:56

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:09

I like cheese and I like apples. I also like the smell of my own farts.

There is no accounting for taste.

Date: December 29, 2012 03:17

JumpinJackOLantern
jamesfdouglas
rambler44

Not. A. F---ing. Chance.

Sorry.

At the moment it's a dead heat between the Beatles and the Stones. The Stones surge ahead if they can produce one last great album. Of course the Beatles could then counter with the Sons of the Beatles which could ultimately lift them in the eyes of historians back into a deadlock with the Stones - by virtue of producing better offspring.

James, ever here of the Sonics? They would blow Zep off the stage!

It doesn't say much for the Stones if they are competing with a band that ended over 40 years ago, and they are now just neck and neck.

If Ringo farts it could be all over!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:40

If the Beatles were 50 years old they'd be writing pure dog shit, much of their stuff was fluffy crap but they were great.

True rock N roll as I know it the Stone are untouchable IMO. James, is your band going to be writing magic rock songs 15-20 years from now??? It's doubtful. I don't love much they've done after 83 either but what band can really write magic for 50 years?

Zepplin never spoke to me as a rock lovin' freak. Too self rightous over done crap for the most part. And so much copy catting!!

It's all subjective but Zepplin isn't in the top 20 IMO. Stones wrote vastly better songs!!!!! And dual guitars are infinitely more interesting!

Argue on!!

Mark

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:45

Max'sKansasCity
How in the wide wide world of sports can anyone bag of good ole Jack Black?
The dude is just a dude... extending his 15 minutes 7 1/2 minutes at a time.

And someday I bet he will sit back, and say.....
"Can you fuhking believe I pulled that shit off?"

I say more power to him,
Cheers smileys with beer Jack Black... no matter what goofy vrap you are paid to say.

Someday?

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 04:34

atip
I've read before that Jack Black is not a Stones' fan. He's a huge Who fan, and apparently a huge Zep fan.

BTW, if you've ever watched his movie, School of Rock, you'll notice that The Stones are never mentioned. What does that tell you?

Yeah, how olds is he, late 30s early to mid 40s, suburban kid...in the early 80s, what kind of music were the Stones playing then?...oh yeah Disco,..Some Girls, Emotional Rescue...heavy disco influence and not a few lurical Homosexual references...in that light his opinion is better understood. When I was playing the Stones in '82 most of my contemporaries thought they were old and outdated....that was 30 years ago.

There are a lot of people who share the opinion that when they were an active band they were the best.

And by the way as some one else asked, 20 Million people were looking for tickets to one show in 2007, a show from a band that broke up on December 10, 1980.

Oh yeah they still have the record for the best selling music DVD which has beeen held for 10 years, since the release of their DVD in 2002...like them or not, prefer their music or not, call them musical thiefs...whatever...the sold a ton of tickets, ton of albums, and influence tons of musicians to this day.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 04:44 by rattler2004.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 29, 2012 04:41

treaclefingers

He was being an actor playing the part of the "Zeppelin Dude"
everyone knew in high school.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home