Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: I like Led Zepplin, but come on.....
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 8, 2013 09:29

I dug out my dusty CD of How The West Was Won to whack on the iPod. Boy, Zeppelin smoked as a live act. Ferocious, bombastic and electrifying. Page was a God like no other.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2013 18:18

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
Max'sKansasCity
I have always liked Zep just fine, and greatly respect the way they ended it with respect to John.... but this resurgence of Zep due to the recent release and the Honors thing will taper off, and then it will be just the Stones... as it always has been. It is silly to try to debate which is a better band, they are both are great... but The Stones.... are THE STONES!!!

why do you think it will "taper off" and be just the stones as its "always been"? here in the states zeppelin has outsold the stones pretty badly over the last 25 years without even touring and only putting out a BBC sessions, 2 live albums and 3 greatest hits

I read something to the tune of Zep has sold 20 million albums since 1990. Something whack like that. No other band has done anything like that. The only band that has come close to touching Led Zeppelin's popularity in the United States is Journey. Of course, simply in the context of classic rock FM radio, which tends to be a driving force behind some band's on tour. There are about 30 some Zep songs played on the radio. Journey has maybe 5 that are played EVERY DAY, sometimes every hour. Pink Floyd about 10, the Stones about 5, the Beatles about 20. That's programming, of course, but it's also demand.

led zeppelin has sold way more than 20 million since 1990. metallica has sold over 30 million albums since 1990 in the states

ROLLING STONE's special issue on LZ said they'd sold over 25 million since 1990. They did not specify if that was in the United States or world. I'll go with the U.S..

Date: January 8, 2013 18:23

Max'sKansasCity
keefriffhard4life
Max'sKansasCity
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
Max'sKansasCity
I have always liked Zep just fine, and greatly respect the way they ended it with respect to John.... but this resurgence of Zep due to the recent release and the Honors thing will taper off, and then it will be just the Stones... as it always has been. It is silly to try to debate which is a better band, they are both are great... but The Stones.... are THE STONES!!!

why do you think it will "taper off" and be just the stones as its "always been"? here in the states zeppelin has outsold the stones pretty badly over the last 25 years without even touring and only putting out a BBC sessions, 2 live albums and 3 greatest hits

I read something to the tune of Zep has sold 20 million albums since 1990. Something whack like that. No other band has done anything like that. The only band that has come close to touching Led Zeppelin's popularity in the United States is Journey. Of course, simply in the context of classic rock FM radio, which tends to be a driving force behind some band's on tour. There are about 30 some Zep songs played on the radio. Journey has maybe 5 that are played EVERY DAY, sometimes every hour. Pink Floyd about 10, the Stones about 5, the Beatles about 20. That's programming, of course, but it's also demand.

led zeppelin has sold way more than 20 million since 1990. metallica has sold over 30 million albums since 1990 in the states
You should probably give links to the things you are stating as facts.

links from me of the person saying journey was the 2nd most popular band in the states since 1990?

things like how many times a song/group is played on the radio per day, how many albums sold, stuff like that.

The Journey reference was more of a joke than a fact. If you heard the classic rock station I hear you'd understand. The 20 million since 1990 was acknowledged in the new post prior to this one.

Date: January 8, 2013 18:26

MKjan
keefriffhard4life
link to RIAA you can search anything related to certified album sales:
[riaa.com]

led zeppelin 111.5 million
rolling stones- 66.5 million

do a search on led zeppelin and you will see in 1990 the totals for the studio stuff was not very high. example in 1990 physical graffitti was 4 million sold and now it is 16 million sold. another example IV is certified 10 million in 1990 and in 2006 was 23 million so it moved 13 million units in 16 years. just those 2 albums gives zeppelin a sales total 25 million since 1990.

if you want i could give you the sales total of every zeppelin album from 1990-2012 and you can see even if every stones album ever released sold 1 million albums from 1990-2012 its still not enough to pass zeppelins sales in that same timeframe

I'd like to see the amounts for royalties Zep owes to all they ripped off. This would include mechanicals, synch licenses, and performing rights income. If the mechanical licenses were agreed at the statutory rate and not a flat fee, Zep owes
the farm.

Plant fully admitted to nicking Willie Dixon and that it's paid off. Which would make one think that they've paid all for what they nicked. They certainly could afford to since they sold so many copies.

Date: January 8, 2013 18:32

FrankM
LastStopThisTown
2007 Led Zep vs 2007 Stones - Led Zep level of performance, musically speaking, was far better than the Stones. IMO, of course.

It's easy to do one show and put a lot of energy into it. It's much harder to tour from the end of 2005 to 2007 and still have a lot of energy at the end of the tour.

For Led Zeppelin? It wouldn't be an issue. They used to play 3 hour shows. That's their mentality. They probably wouldn't play that long now if they were to. But who knows. They certainly could play at the level they did in 2007 for the one show for a entire tour. AC/DC do it.

Date: January 8, 2013 18:51

lem motlow
jimi hendrix- total albums sales to date-22.5 million

bon jovi- total album sales to date-34 million

record sales are a really poor indicator of quality.you may as well be trying to tell me mcdonalds produce better meals than gordon ramsays steakhouse because they sell more food.

Considering how many LPs Zepp released you may want to consider that into your whatever.

The reality of it is it's the fans that get into pissing matches over such silly things. The band members do not care, or at least Page doesn't - he's even said it. Awesome songs are awesome songs, same with albums. Zep had A LOT of awesome songs. Record sales and radio play do mean something. It could be viewed as long-lasting quality. Zep's quantity is even less than The Beatles (if I'm not mistaken they released 12 albums? Which ones do you count? I hate that UK/US 'oh this is the album no this is the real album' stuff).

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 8, 2013 19:36

GasLightStreet
Plant fully admitted to nicking Willie Dixon ...

Robert's joke at the O2 was [[i]paraphrase[/i]] "and I don't know who he nicked it from." Oh how we laughed. It's a valid point though - all music comes from other music.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 8, 2013 19:51

Claire_M
GasLightStreet
Plant fully admitted to nicking Willie Dixon ...

Robert's joke at the O2 was [[i]paraphrase[/i]] "and I don't know who he nicked it from." Oh how we laughed. It's a valid point though - all music comes from other music.

[en.allexperts.com]

Date: January 8, 2013 20:40

I don't hear any similarity between Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown" and Zep's "Communication Breakdown." Actually though, "Livin' Lovin' Maid" quotes that little riff in Nervous Breakdown.

Date: January 8, 2013 20:49

the zeppelin tune "rock n roll" seems inspired by little richards "keep a knockin"

Date: January 8, 2013 23:47

And Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" - Pagey said that up-front. They weren't ripping anyone off; ideas touch off other ideas, and so on. It's a joke that anyone would say Zep's Stairway is a rip-off of Spirit's Taurus, because Stairway takes that eensy little chord progression and develops it and expands upon it, creating a sweeping epic with drama and dynamics aplenty. "Taurus" is a pretty little thing that just sits there, doesn't go anywhere or do anything.

Anyway! Tomorrow is Jimmy Page's birthday (69 he is). Let us pause and send telepathic thanks and good vibes to the maestro.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:54

GasLightStreet
MKjan
keefriffhard4life
[riaa.com]

do a search on led zeppelin and you will see in 1990 the totals for the studio stuff was not very high. example in 1990 physical graffitti was 4 million sold and now it is 16 million sold. another example IV is certified 10 million in 1990 and in 2006 was 23 million so it moved 13 million units in 16 years. just those 2 albums gives zeppelin a sales total 25 million since 1990.

if you want i could give you the sales total of every zeppelin album from 1990-2012 and you can see even if every stones album ever released sold 1 million albums from 1990-2012 its still not enough to pass zeppelins sales in that same timeframe

I'd like to see the amounts for royalties Zep owes to all they ripped off. This would include mechanicals, synch licenses, and performing rights income. If the mechanical licenses were agreed at the statutory rate and not a flat fee, Zep owes
the farm.

Plant fully admitted to nicking Willie Dixon and that it's paid off. Which would make one think that they've paid all for what they nicked. They certainly could afford to since they sold so many copies.

Hmmm, not so sure if one song paid means other writers/publishers were. Did Plant mention Dixon was paid because they were sued by Dixon?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 9, 2013 02:19

If the new re-issues contain enough unreleased tracks...I'm all in.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: January 9, 2013 02:38

What I loved about Celebration Day was that you could still, more or less, hear the same band that made those great records back in the day.

When I see/hear the Stones today I never get that feeling - the music has evolved over time, JJF today is a different beast, still love it though.

Both bands at the peak of their powers i'd say the Stones blow most bands away, including Led Zep.

Today, Page still has the chops whereas Richards...

Date: January 9, 2013 02:39

MKjan
GasLightStreet
MKjan
keefriffhard4life
[riaa.com]

the farm.

Hmmm, not so sure if one song paid means other writers/publishers were. Did Plant mention Dixon was paid because they were sued by Dixon?

There was no mention of them being sued but the implication was obvious - they were. That was the only song talked about.

Date: January 9, 2013 02:42

Then there's this tidbit:

[www.ledzeppelinnews.com]

Date: January 9, 2013 02:49

It was tossed out.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 9, 2013 03:57

GasLightStreet
MKjan
GasLightStreet
MKjan
keefriffhard4life
[riaa.com]

the farm.

There was no mention of them being sued but the implication was obvious - they were. That was the only song talked about.

ok, thanks for that.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:31

But come on...cheers Jimmy Page, 69 today.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:40

Svartmer

was that a suggestion or his age?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:52

StonesTod
Svartmer

was that a suggestion or his age?

he said 'come on' so it sounded like a 'come on' to me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:56

Svartmer

Like a newborn baby birthdays happen everyday...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:58

i just don't get all the negativity that zep gets here - and on a STONES board of all things.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:11

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:14

StonesTod
i just don't get all the negativity that zep gets here - and on a STONES board of all things.

Me neither man, me neither.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:26

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod

Me neither man, me neither.

Yes, totally agree. Let's leave the negativity for the STONES.

We need to preserve all the energy we can.

Date: January 10, 2013 03:42

I second that, hahaha!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: January 15, 2013 20:39

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:42

Keith doesn't like any other band besides his own.

Date: January 15, 2013 21:50

It can be painful and tedious listening to Keith talk about other musicians and bands. He's not being a jerk here though as much as we've seen though.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home