Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones on UK £ notes! What do you think?
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:00

Re: The Stones on UK £ notes! What do you think?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:17

penny wise, pound foolish

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:21

Good! Next One.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:26

Inappropriate, IMO. Bank Notes should be for important figureheads, not pop singers.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:32

I agree. Ludicrous example of the overimportance of celebrity culture - and if they leave this nonsense to a public vote, you can only imagine the type of here today, gone tomorrow bubbleheads who'd come top of the poll.

Plus, I always thought you had to be dead before you could be on a banknote. I know thats the case with postage stamps.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:52

why not gazza on a banknote instead?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:56

'Celebrity Culture' rules supreme here in the UK, sadly. Children know more about TV personalities than actual history and important matters. I read recently that more British children associate Winston Churchill with a nodding dog than the country's most important Prime Minister. What a toilet we have become!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:58

StonesTod
why not gazza on a banknote instead?

You'll have to kill me first.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:30

Wouldn't it be ironic though to have a man notoriously known for refusing to pay taxes in the UK on a pound note?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:36

Stoneage
Wouldn't it be ironic though to have a man notoriously known for refusing to pay taxes in the UK on a pound note?

to teach him a lesson, perhaps they'd use an image from his ill-advised steel wheels appearance

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:42

StonesTod
Stoneage

to teach him a lesson, perhaps they'd use an image from his ill-advised steel wheels appearance
awesome that wit and fine comedic form are sure appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:44

What do I think? I think there is already a thread on this topic dated December 26:

www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1754294

Date: December 27, 2012 20:12

stonesnow
What do I think? I think there is already a thread on this topic dated December 26:

this one's got legs though baby

Date: December 27, 2012 20:15

treaclefingers
stonesnow

What it has is a more direct title--but that's all. Also, the title leaves out the other contemporary candidate for consideration. Nice to know duplicate threads are finally being accepted though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 20:18 by stonesnow.

Date: December 27, 2012 20:24

stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

What it has is a more direct title--but that's all. Also, the title leaves out the other contemporary candidate for consideration. Nice to know duplicate threads are finally being accepted though.

Nothing is automatic...we do this on a case by case basis, after much thought and consideration, and several layers of management approval.

It's a bit cumbersome, but it's the best system we have, let's embrace it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 27, 2012 20:40

The Stones on UK £ notes! What do you think ?

Gave up "thinking" per se a long time ago. It can get you into an awful lot of trouble. The less of it one does, the better off one is !!

There is a LET IT BLEED postage stamp out there, but the Glimmers on a banknote ? Nah, don't think so. Stick with Queenie & Co, that's what I reckon.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 27, 2012 20:47

it'd be collectable.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 27, 2012 20:52

treaclefingers
it'd be collectable.

but.... should money be designed to be collectable? and what does it mean when they design it that way?... like stamps which they sell for a pretty penny knowing they will never be used (but also probably never go up in value).... This type of thing smells like scamming to me.

Money should be designed to fight counterfeiters and look official... but of course I am sure there are people who think the exact opposite

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 20:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 27, 2012 23:20

stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

If one wishes to post something is it a pre-requisite that one trawls through the whole forum to make sure there isn't a similar thread? Ooooo, sounds a bit time consuming!

Date: December 27, 2012 23:30

BlackHat
stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

If one wishes to post something is it a pre-requisite that one trawls through the whole forum to make sure there isn't a similar thread? Ooooo, sounds a bit time consuming!

No, just a look at the previous 12 to 24 hours will do--and what's that, just glancing over the titles of the first 2 pages, 1 minute of research?

And it would appear that you've got more time to consume than most, if your bumping just today of the "Tonight there was a fight in my local chip shop" thread [thread started on August 10, 2008; last heard from on March 13, 2012] is any indication....

Date: December 27, 2012 23:32

stonesnow
BlackHat
stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

No, just a look at the previous 12 to 24 hours will do--and what's that, just glancing over the titles of the first 2 pages, 1 minute of research?

And it would appear that you've got more time to consume than most, if your bumping just today of the "Tonight there was a fight in my local chip shop" thread [thread started on August 10, 2008; last heard from on March 13, 2012] is any indication....

It being Christmas I am at home drinking cider. But really I am so sorry to inconvenience you with a duplicate thread. But as someone else said - this one has got legs!!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 00:07

stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow

The title is why I didn't open the other thread. From the thread title (Laughing All The Way To The Bank?) it looked like just another "Ticket Prices Were Too High/The Stones Make Too Much Money" type thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 00:07 by NoCode0680.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home