Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: black crowes to end hiatus in 2013. tour dates announced
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:23

When will the London tix go on sale?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:27

JumpinJeppeFlash

january 11, 10:13 a.m. local time. such a precise time.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:24

Without Ford and Harsch they are not really great for me...

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 00:12

This is my #2 band, but I am a little disappointed that Luther Dickinson will not be with them. I thought with him was the best version of the Crowes, by far... much more back to their roots- bluesy, back country music with Luther.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:07

I've seen the Black Crowes many times, and have seen some fantastic shows, and some really boring ones.

Loved their first 3-4 discs...disappointed with the middle era, but with the new guitarist seem to have some energy again on the last couple of albums (the last, with the downloadable tracks, is really good!) which has made the last few shows also a lot more energized.

If you haven't checked them out in some time...you might want to revisit them; might be pleasantly surprised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 17:10 by kovach.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:31

the 90's were such a crowing decade...you had sheryl, the counting crows and these guys. it was a confusing time but we got thru it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:32

StonesTod
the 90's were such a crowing decade...you had sheryl, the counting crows and these guys. it was a confusing time but we got thru it.

You really should have looked at Uncle Tupelo instead if you were into that "classic American" sound...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:22

spsimmons
I love the Black Crowes, but I never cared for their live stuff. Granted, I have never been to a concert, but have heard the recordings. I got to say that I did enjoy the stuff they did with Jimmy Page.
spsimmons try to listen to "Before the frost..." Album made of new songs recorded live in 2009 at Levon Helm's Woodstock, NY studio. Great record.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 27, 2012 20:22

rollmops
spsimmons
I love the Black Crowes, but I never cared for their live stuff. Granted, I have never been to a concert, but have heard the recordings. I got to say that I did enjoy the stuff they did with Jimmy Page.
spsimmons try to listen to "Before the frost..." Album made of new songs recorded live in 2009 at Levon Helm's Woodstock, NY studio. Great record.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Made even better with the downloadable tracks that round out the double set "Before the frost...after the freeze". You can tell Chris Robinson has been taking some voice lessons, plus they seem to take a bit of a country rock turn on many of the tracks.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 27, 2012 21:49

kovach
rollmops
spsimmons
Rock and roll,
Mops

Made even better with the downloadable tracks that round out the double set "Before the frost...after the freeze". You can tell Chris Robinson has been taking some voice lessons, plus they seem to take a bit of a country rock turn on many of the tracks.
I have listened to that record a lot. The Black Crowes are "traditionnalists" and one can hear the musics that have influenced the band; the stones, Led Zep, the faces, even some prog rock (keyboard tones) and also US rock, Dylan, southern rock, blues, country, gospel etc... It is an amazing record because all those musical influences have been integrated in a very subtal way that makes them not immediately noticeable. Great work.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: December 28, 2012 00:57

No one will care. They'll barely sell tickets. Clear Channel has been playing them all month, they sound dated in a bad way. I predict they will be as big as a Cars reunion

yeah

boring pseudo allmans jam band

so

i ll listen to old allmans instead

imagine if there was never any stones open g stuff, faces, or allmans for these guys to copy? then what would they do?

singer could never sing worth a crap anyway, uncle tupelo, (especially anodyne) cracker and blue rodeo etc for 'roots' music blow these guys away , anyway

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 00:59 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: December 28, 2012 09:51

Pffff, I'll never get the amount of crap the Crowes get here. If the Crowes are a 'boring pseudo allmans jam band', then the Stones are 'a boring pseudo Chuck Berry cover band.'

Whatever you might think of then, these guys can flat out play!

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 09:58

mr edward
Pffff, I'll never get the amount of crap the Crowes get here. If the Crowes are a 'boring pseudo allmans jam band', then the Stones are 'a boring pseudo Chuck Berry cover band.'

Whatever you might think of then, these guys can flat out play!

Agreed....not sure why they get so much shit. I like their music and they've always put on a really good show every time I've seen them.

Date: December 28, 2012 14:43

mr edward
Pffff, I'll never get the amount of crap the Crowes get here.

it's nothing compared to the amount of crap the dead and clapton get here. this is the place to come to get crap, that's for sure...

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:04

I'm not that familiar with Jackie Greene - can anyone recommend some gigs or albums I should check out? I'm hoping a new lead guitarist will shake things up a bit - I hated Luther Dickinson's playing style with a passion so this line-up change is most welcome for me. (Really I'm hoping Marc Ford has changed his name to Jackie Greene.)

mr edward

I'm a hardcore fan of the Crowes but I can understand why they get crap, and sometimes I think they deserve it. They were very vocal at the start of their career about how fake music at the time was, how the Stones, ZZ Top et al had sold out and got lazy yet they fell into those very same traps as the years rolled on. I think they've produced albums of genuine quality (Southern Harmony, Amorica) that stand up against anything but I think creatively they can't get out of the Stones/Faces dead end.

Date: December 28, 2012 16:12

giving up the ghost is prolly jackie's most accessible record - but i like 'em all.

i'm listening to jackie sing a solo version of a song from that record now - from his run of shows this past spring with bob weir and chris robinson.

jackie's a national treasure....

Date: December 28, 2012 17:01

Tricky76
I'm not that familiar with Jackie Greene - can anyone recommend some gigs or albums I should check out? I'm hoping a new lead guitarist will shake things up a bit - I hated Luther Dickinson's playing style with a passion so this line-up change is most welcome for me. (Really I'm hoping Marc Ford has changed his name to Jackie Greene.)

mr edward

I'm a hardcore fan of the Crowes but I can understand why they get crap, and sometimes I think they deserve it. They were very vocal at the start of their career about how fake music at the time was, how the Stones, ZZ Top et al had sold out and got lazy yet they fell into those very same traps as the years rolled on. I think they've produced albums of genuine quality (Southern Harmony, Amorica) that stand up against anything but I think creatively they can't get out of the Stones/Faces dead end.

thats funny you say they can't get ot of the faces/stones dead end yet i thought lions was a lot more like cream/hendrix and the newest stuff was a lot more like manassas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 17:01 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 28, 2012 21:14

Yeah, I don't think they've ever been in a Faces/Stones dead end. Definitely sound more like other bands than Faces/Stones these days-Manassas, for sure, as keefriffhard noted, Allmans, Band, Humble Pie, Free, Parson/Burritos, Zep, etc.

I see that Marc Ford is now born again (and all power to him) and plays mostly in church, so I don't think he'll be re-joining the band any time soon.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 28, 2012 22:10

capsula
Without Ford and Harsch they are not really great for me...

They really should bring back Mick Taylor.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 28, 2012 22:13

not really important i think.
Boring american music.

Bring back the Stones to kick some ass

jeroen

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 28, 2012 23:21

StonesTod
whitem8
Funny Tod,
Yeah, The Crowes sure do a good job covering The Stones, especially No Expectations, beautiful!

here's a pretty cool boot that circulates widely...mostly from line recordings:

The Black Crowes - Crowing Stones (1990-2010)

[CD 01]
01. Silver Train 7.06
02. Around And Around 3.25
03. I Wanna Be Your Man 2.27
04. Mona 8.19
05. Bright Lights, Big City 5.43
06. Cancel Everything 4.40
07. Torn & Frayed 5.07
08. Let It Bleed 5.51
09. Happy 3.22
10. Honky Tonk Women 3.26
11. Stop Breakin' Down 4.39
12. Sympathy For The Devil 4.59

[CD 02]
01. Silver Train 4.40
02. Street Fighting Man 4.26
03. Tumbling Dice 4.28
04. Let It Bleed 5.08
05. You Gotta Move 3.31
06. Memo From Turner 4.14
07. Loving Cup 4.27
08. You Got The Silver 3.35
09. No Expectations 7.03
10. Midnight Rambler 11.21
11. Torn & Frayed 5.28
12. I Just Want To See His Face 8.42
13. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 7.49
14. The Last Time 4.22

Wonderful compilation. Last 5 tracks taken from the amazing Fillmore gig from Dec 9 2010. Just listening to Chris Robinson Brotherhood's Big Moon Ritual album. Not bad. Very Dead influenced.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 28, 2012 23:22

StonesTod
JumpinJeppeFlash

Where are the London shows and when StonesTod?

Date: December 28, 2012 23:28

Silver Dagger
StonesTod
JumpinJeppeFlash

Where are the London shows and when StonesTod?

3/24 Manchester, UK – Manchester Academy
3/25 Birmingham, UK – O2 Academy
3/27 Glasgow, UK – O2 Academy
3/29 London, UK – The HMV Forum
3/30 London, UK – The HMV Forum
4/02 Port Chester, NY – The Capitol Theater
4/03 Port Chester, NY – The Capitol Theater
4/05 New York, NY – Terminal 5
4/06 New York, NY – Terminal 5
4/08 Washington D.C. – 9:30 Club
4/09 Washington D.C. – 9:30 Club
4/11 Boston, MA – House of Blues
4/12 Philadelphia, PA – Electric Factory
4/14 Detroit, MI – The Fillmore Detroit
4/16 Chicago, IL – The Vic
4/17 Chicago, IL - The Vic
4/19 St. Louis, MO – The Pageant
4/20 Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
4/21 Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
4/23 Atlanta, GA – The Tabernacle
4/25 Dallas, TX – House of Blues
4/27 Austin, TX – Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater
4/28 Houston, TX – House of Blues
4/30 St. Petersburg, FL – The Mahaffey
5/01 Lake Buena Vista, FL – House of Blues
5/04 New Orleans, LA –Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 04:48

whitem8
DoomandGloom
No one will care. They'll barely sell tickets. Clear Channel has been playing them all month, they sound dated in a bad way. I predict they will be as big as a Cars reunion.

You know what? It is clear you don't like them. Cool, fine, can't change your mind. And one thing I have learned after posting thousands of times here for the past six years, when someone has a musical opinion of a band, you can't debate it and change their mind. That is cool. It is what it is. However, I do like pointing out when those opinions are based on inaccurate perceptions and cliches. The one thing you miss about The Black Crowes, is they really don't give a flying hoot about selling tickets. They are a small band, who like to play great live rock and roll shows. They play small places and sell tickets at very reasonable prices, and play. They typically change up their set lists significantly night after night. They play deep cuts and great covers. They purposely play interesting clubs, and venues. And they often play close to two and half hour shows. So, their "reunion" is not to milk a cash cow. It is to get back together and play music together. They feel they have a need to play with each other again. Cool. I am on board.

Amen!

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 2, 2013 06:29

i might go if i thought they would actually play their hits

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 2, 2013 11:00

Hits? You mean She Talks to Angles and Hard to Handle? Those were their biggest hits. They do regularly play them both. But not every night. If your a casual fan only into the "hits" you would probably be disappointed seeing them live as they do a lot of deep cuts, but also the more popular ones as well, such as Sting Me, My Morning Song, No Speak No Slave, Black Moon Creeping, etc.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 2, 2013 21:36

andrewm
No one brings out the haters like the Crowes....except maybe Oasis.

I hate the fact that I like both of those bands!!!
They did a fun tour together years back...

Date: January 2, 2013 22:05

whitem8
Hits? You mean She Talks to Angles and Hard to Handle? Those were their biggest hits. They do regularly play them both. But not every night. If your a casual fan only into the "hits" you would probably be disappointed seeing them live as they do a lot of deep cuts, but also the more popular ones as well, such as Sting Me, My Morning Song, No Speak No Slave, Black Moon Creeping, etc.

you forgot "remedy", "twice as hard" and "jealous again"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 22:05 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 2, 2013 23:31

Munichhilton
andrewm

There's nothing to hate about that fact; two fantastic bands.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 5, 2013 01:48

BowieStone
Munichhilton
andrewm

There's nothing to hate about that fact; two fantastic bands.

Sorry bud but mentioning the Crowes and Oasis in the same sentence is a bit like mentioning the Stones and Justin Beaver...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home