Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: black crowes to end hiatus in 2013. tour dates announced
Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: December 26, 2012 11:05

as a big fan of the crowes i am very pleased to see them back on stage, where they belong. since the early 90's i have seen them live over 25 times in clubshows, as support act ( stones ) and as a major headlining act... and never a dull moment. a great live band with great musicians .. i was backstage with them in the melkweg, i got all the albums, many of them signed as well... so see you in london 2013 !!!

richard

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 26, 2012 11:43

whitem8
DoomandGloom
No one will care. They'll barely sell tickets. Clear Channel has been playing them all month, they sound dated in a bad way. I predict they will be as big as a Cars reunion.

You know what? It is clear you don't like them. Cool, fine, can't change your mind. And one thing I have learned after posting thousands of times here for the past six years, when someone has a musical opinion of a band, you can't debate it and change their mind. That is cool. It is what it is. However, I do like pointing out when those opinions are based on inaccurate perceptions and cliches. The one thing you miss about The Black Crowes, is they really don't give a flying hoot about selling tickets. They are a small band, who like to play great live rock and roll shows. They play small places and sell tickets at very reasonable prices, and play. They typically change up their set lists significantly night after night. They play deep cuts and great covers. They purposely play interesting clubs, and venues. And they often play close to two and half hour shows. So, their "reunion" is not to milk a cash cow. It is to get back together and play music together. They feel they have a need to play with each other again. Cool. I am on board.

and to add: in europe their gigs mostly sell out within a minute, so there remains a string following.

I like them. They have the capability to play a horrendous gig one day, and a brilliant gig the other. Amorica remains one of my favorite albums of all time, And their warm up gig for the By Your Side tour in de Melkweg in Amsterdam remain the stringest 45 minutes of RnR I have ever seen.

Mathijs

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 26, 2012 11:57

I love their first 2 albums, I´ve seen them on both following tours in 90 and 92.
I think they still are a great band. And they do what they want. If they piss off
60.000 at Wembley Stadium in 95 (what I have heard) they just don´t care.

My problem: I don´t like their albums since then very much.

Funny thing: they have a German bassplayer.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 26, 2012 15:22

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetsmoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 26, 2012 15:39

Mathijs
whitem8
DoomandGloom
No one will care. They'll barely sell tickets. Clear Channel has been playing them all month, they sound dated in a bad way. I predict they will be as big as a Cars reunion.

You know what? It is clear you don't like them. Cool, fine, can't change your mind. And one thing I have learned after posting thousands of times here for the past six years, when someone has a musical opinion of a band, you can't debate it and change their mind. That is cool. It is what it is. However, I do like pointing out when those opinions are based on inaccurate perceptions and cliches. The one thing you miss about The Black Crowes, is they really don't give a flying hoot about selling tickets. They are a small band, who like to play great live rock and roll shows. They play small places and sell tickets at very reasonable prices, and play. They typically change up their set lists significantly night after night. They play deep cuts and great covers. They purposely play interesting clubs, and venues. And they often play close to two and half hour shows. So, their "reunion" is not to milk a cash cow. It is to get back together and play music together. They feel they have a need to play with each other again. Cool. I am on board.

and to add: in europe their gigs mostly sell out within a minute, so there remains a string following.

I like them. They have the capability to play a horrendous gig one day, and a brilliant gig the other. Amorica remains one of my favorite albums of all time, And their warm up gig for the By Your Side tour in de Melkweg in Amsterdam remain the stringest 45 minutes of RnR I have ever seen.

Mathijs

I agree Amoerica is a simply fantastic album, their Exile. I have pretty much liked all their albums, with By Your Side my least favorite (a few good songs, Horse Head, Go Tell the Congregation). Their last two albums, War Paint and Before the Frost were really strong, and they graced us with two great DVD's from those two albums. War Paint Live is a fantastic DVD, with them doing a great live version of Torn and Frayed, and Cabin Fever is a bit like Let it Be, showing them recording the album live with an audience. Some fantastic performances on them both. But boy, Chris had a tendency toward verbal diarrhea sometimes!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 16:46

it'd be cool if the stones could cover the crowes' covering of the stones as well as the crowes cover the stones...or something.

Date: December 26, 2012 16:49

Funny Tod,
Yeah, The Crowes sure do a good job covering The Stones, especially No Expectations, beautiful!

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 26, 2012 16:54

I love the Black Crowes, but I never cared for their live stuff. Granted, I have never been to a concert, but have heard the recordings. I got to say that I did enjoy the stuff they did with Jimmy Page.

Date: December 26, 2012 16:55

whitem8
Funny Tod,
Yeah, The Crowes sure do a good job covering The Stones, especially No Expectations, beautiful!

here's a pretty cool boot that circulates widely...mostly from line recordings:

The Black Crowes - Crowing Stones (1990-2010)

[CD 01]
01. Silver Train 7.06
02. Around And Around 3.25
03. I Wanna Be Your Man 2.27
04. Mona 8.19
05. Bright Lights, Big City 5.43
06. Cancel Everything 4.40
07. Torn & Frayed 5.07
08. Let It Bleed 5.51
09. Happy 3.22
10. Honky Tonk Women 3.26
11. Stop Breakin' Down 4.39
12. Sympathy For The Devil 4.59

[CD 02]
01. Silver Train 4.40
02. Street Fighting Man 4.26
03. Tumbling Dice 4.28
04. Let It Bleed 5.08
05. You Gotta Move 3.31
06. Memo From Turner 4.14
07. Loving Cup 4.27
08. You Got The Silver 3.35
09. No Expectations 7.03
10. Midnight Rambler 11.21
11. Torn & Frayed 5.28
12. I Just Want To See His Face 8.42
13. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 7.49
14. The Last Time 4.22

Date: December 26, 2012 17:29

Oh wow! That is a very cool boot! I gotta see if I can find it on a torrent. Thanks Tod!

Date: December 26, 2012 17:31

whitem8
Oh wow! That is a very cool boot! I gotta see if I can find it on a torrent. Thanks Tod!

you'll find it - it's all over the place.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: December 26, 2012 18:18

It's announced on the BC website that Jackie Greene is replacing Luther. I dont really consider Jackie a lead guitarist more a singer song writer.

I really was impressed with how Luther fit in with BC and I am a big Marc Ford fan as well.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:19

jabhead
It's announced on the BC website that Jackie Greene is replacing Luther. I dont really consider Jackie a lead guitarist more a singer song writer.

I really was impressed with how Luther fit in with BC and I am a big Marc Ford fan as well.

jackie is a fabulous lead guitarist, imo. great move. they're playing stubbs here...and this seals the deal for me. i'm so there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 18:20 by StonesTod.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:30

Yeah just read that, interesting! I know Chris really liked Luther. So this should be interesting! I like Luther, however, there were times where I wished the man would just use a PICK! And rip up the leads ala Ford, especially on Black Moon Rising.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:33

whitem8
Yeah just read that, interesting! I know Chris really liked Luther. So this should be interesting! I like Luther, however, there were times where I wished the man would just use a PICK! And rip up the leads ala Ford, especially on Black Moon Rising.

jackie's singing will be an added attraction. and for those who doubt jackie's lead guitar abilities, i trust they didn't catch him with Phil & Friends a few years ago...the guy can flat-out play....

Date: December 26, 2012 18:35

StonesTod
jabhead

jackie is a fabulous lead guitarist, imo. great move. they're playing stubbs here...and this seals the deal for me. i'm so there.

I've seen Jackie numerous times in Phil's Band since 2007 and I admit he is getting much better, maybe it's because whenever I see him he is in the presence of the likes of John Scofield, Warren Haynes or Larry Campbell that his lead guitar skills are never overly impressive.

I expect perhaps a more rootsy, acoustic style BC? Who knows. A curious move IMO but I will check it out as well. It's good to have an open mind about these things.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:37

jabhead
StonesTod
jabhead

I've seen Jackie numerous times in Phil's Band since 2007 and I admit he is getting much better, maybe it's because whenever I see him he is in the presence of the likes of Jon Scofield, Warren Haynes or Larry Campbell that his lead guitar skills are never overly impressive.

i thought he more than held his own with those guys...great natch instincts

Date: December 26, 2012 18:44

Have you heard the recordings from Phils run in Broomfield in 2012. It was a one off set of shows with Jackie, Warren Haynes and John Scofield on guitar. The Magic Bus with Jackie leading from night one is off the hook. For that matter Scofield was off the hook the entire run the man has awesome tasteful skills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 18:52 by jabhead.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:50

jabhead
Have you heard the recordings from Phils run in Broomfield in 2012. It was a one off set of shows with Jackie, Warren Haynes and Jon Scofield on guitar. The Magic Bus with Jackie leading from night one is off the hook. For that matter Scofield was off the hook the entire run the man has awesome tasteful skills.

haven't. love john scofield...and he does have an 'h' in his name. jackie's a national treasure in my book.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:56

StonesTod
jabhead
Have you heard the recordings from Phils run in Broomfield in 2012. It was a one off set of shows with Jackie, Warren Haynes and Jon Scofield on guitar. The Magic Bus with Jackie leading from night one is off the hook. For that matter Scofield was off the hook the entire run the man has awesome tasteful skills.

haven't. love john scofield...and he does have an 'h' in his name. jackie's a national treasure in my book.

My Bad, Fixed it except where you quoted me. What can I say...other than it's legal now in Colorado.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 26, 2012 19:01

He'll be a great addition to The Black Crowes for the tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 19:47 by chelskeith.

Date: December 26, 2012 19:02

jabhead
StonesTod
jabhead

My Bad, Fixed it except where you quoted me. What can I say...other than it's legal now in Colorado.

texas will eventually follow...unless we secede first...

Date: December 26, 2012 19:04

chelskeith
Jackie is from my town, El Dorado Hills, CA.

When I turned 50 a few years back my wife threw me a party and Jackie's brother Alex'a band "Walking Spanish" played at the party and my son played with them. When we got there Alex asked "would you mind if my brother plays with us?".

Jackie was wearing a cool Cubs hat as he'd just returned from Chicago and being a big baseball fan he had visited Wrigley.

They did some Stones songs at the party with my son and they rocked it out. I'll try and post pix after I get home in a few days.

He'll be a great addition to The Black Crowes for the tour!

kinda glad jackie never got as big as many thought he'd get...had a chance to chat with him a bit after a phil show a few years back...very down to earth guy.

Date: December 26, 2012 19:08

A few years ago on Halloween , Govt Mule did an entire set of Stones Covers, Jackie was special guest for that set. I believe it is still available on Mule Tracks or elsewhere.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 26, 2012 19:12

Great to hear Jackie Green is joining them next year. Just saw Jackie last month.He can certainly hold his own guitar wise. Hope they add some west coast dates.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 26, 2012 19:22

jabhead
A few years ago on Halloween , Govt Mule did an entire set of Stones Covers, Jackie was special guest for that set. I believe it is still available on Mule Tracks or elsewhere.

same night (halloween) that phish did exile in its entirety.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:22

Yes!!!!
Great news.

Posted by: JBH69Flyer ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:39

StonesTod
whitem8
Funny Tod,

here's a pretty cool boot that circulates widely...mostly from line recordings:

The Black Crowes - Crowing Stones (1990-2010)

[CD 01]
01. Silver Train 7.06
02. Around And Around 3.25
03. I Wanna Be Your Man 2.27
04. Mona 8.19
05. Bright Lights, Big City 5.43
06. Cancel Everything 4.40
07. Torn & Frayed 5.07
08. Let It Bleed 5.51
09. Happy 3.22
10. Honky Tonk Women 3.26
11. Stop Breakin' Down 4.39
12. Sympathy For The Devil 4.59

[CD 02]
01. Silver Train 4.40
02. Street Fighting Man 4.26
03. Tumbling Dice 4.28
04. Let It Bleed 5.08
05. You Gotta Move 3.31
06. Memo From Turner 4.14
07. Loving Cup 4.27
08. You Got The Silver 3.35
09. No Expectations 7.03
10. Midnight Rambler 11.21
11. Torn & Frayed 5.28
12. I Just Want To See His Face 8.42
13. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 7.49
14. The Last Time 4.22

Can anybody tell me where I can get a FLAC copy of this? Lots of mp3-320 copies around but can't find a FLAC copy (yet). I will post a link if I find a FLAC copy.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:08

I've seen them several times and they've always delivered. The Roseland show with Page was different but fun and their Beacon Theater shows were solid. Unfortunately this time they are playing Terminal 5, in my opinion an horrendous general admission sweatbox with terrible to non-existant sightlines, so I'll have to pass.

Date: December 26, 2012 21:19

the crowes are the best stones ever. hopefully wyman and taylor will make some appearances on the tour.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home