Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Cringe-worthy performances
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 25, 2012 20:15

Rokyfan
shawnriffhard1
shadooby
The Stones at the start of the 94 tour at RFK in New Jersey, during Street Fighting Man...talk about a melt-down. Anybody got a clip of that one?

I was there and don't recall what you mean. New Jersey? Do you mean Giants Stadium? Any audio?
the Voodoo Lounge opener was at RFK Stadium, which is in DC, not NJ. They did 4 shows at Giants in NJ a few weeks later.

Was it at RFK, or JFk in Philadelphia?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 25, 2012 21:52

If Christgau had graded this, what grade do you think he would have given it? I say he would have given it an E+.

The Grades

An A+ record is an organically conceived masterpiece that repays prolonged listening with new excitement and insight. It is unlikely to be marred by more than one merely ordinary cut.

An A is a great record both of whose sides offer enduring pleasure and surprise. You should own it.

An A- is a very good record. If one of its sides doesn't provide intense and consistent satisfaction, then both include several cuts that do.

A B+ is a good record, at least one of whose sides can be played with lasting interest and the other of which includes at least one enjoyable cut.

A B is an admirable effort that aficionados of the style or artist will probably find quite listenable.

A B- is a competent or mildly interesting record that will usually feature at least three worthwhile cuts.

A C+ is a not disreputable performance, most likely a failed experiment or a pleasant piece of hackwork.

A C is a record of clear professionalism or barely discernible inspiration, but not both.

A C- is a regrettably successful exploitation or a basically honest but quite incompetent stab at something more.

A D+ is an appalling piece of pimpwork or a thoroughly botched token of sincerity.

It is impossible to understand why anyone would buy a D record.

It is impossible to understand why anyone would release a D- record.

It is impossible to understand why anyone would cut an E+ record.

E records are frequently cited as proof that there is no God.

An E- record is an organically conceived masterpiece that repays repeated listening with a sense of horror in the face of the void. It is unlikely to be marred by one listenable cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-25 21:59 by tatters.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 25, 2012 22:16

94 opener was RFK in DC. Thay last played JFK in Philly in 81 (2 shows). By 89. JFK was torn down and the Steel Wheels opener was in Philly, at Veteran's Stadium (which has also since been torn down). But 94 was RFK Stadium in eastern DC (maybe that's also torn down now).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2012 22:29

From this .........

TO THIS ..................

ROCKMAN

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 25, 2012 23:11

tatters

If Christgau had graded this, what grade do you think he would have given it? I say he would have given it an E+.

The Grades

An A+ record is an organically conceived masterpiece that repays prolonged listening with new excitement and insight. It is unlikely to be marred by more than one merely ordinary cut.

An A is a great record both of whose sides offer enduring pleasure and surprise. You should own it.

An A- is a very good record. If one of its sides doesn't provide intense and consistent satisfaction, then both include several cuts that do.

A B+ is a good record, at least one of whose sides can be played with lasting interest and the other of which includes at least one enjoyable cut.

A B is an admirable effort that aficionados of the style or artist will probably find quite listenable.

A B- is a competent or mildly interesting record that will usually feature at least three worthwhile cuts.

A C+ is a not disreputable performance, most likely a failed experiment or a pleasant piece of hackwork.

A C is a record of clear professionalism or barely discernible inspiration, but not both.

A C- is a regrettably successful exploitation or a basically honest but quite incompetent stab at something more.

A D+ is an appalling piece of pimpwork or a thoroughly botched token of sincerity.

An E- record is an organically conceived masterpiece that repays repeated listening with a sense of horror in the face of the void. It is unlikely to be marred by one listenable cut.

that was actually quite funny

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 25, 2012 23:14

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 25, 2012 23:27

franzk

Dude, there's people here!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 25, 2012 23:29

franzk
tatters

The Grades

that was actually quite funny

What if I were to tell you that was the best cut on the album?

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:28

Gazza
Erik_Snow
Gazza
video: [www.youtube.com]

Oh damn thanks for the reminder. That is a video I'm simply unable to watch more than 30-40 seconds. Imagine if that was ones mother, and one were a kid, watching it on TV.....life would be over before it really started

Be thankful that the first 30-40 seconds are the worst. Celine Dion pulling a 'rocker' face and doing something akin to a duckwalk truly is the personification of musical Hades.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Gazza. I'll save the second viewing for after my lobotomy, I'm sure that will really make me rock out.
The Van Halen clip that kicked off the thread brought tears to my eyes.
Tears of laughter, obviously.

Lee

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home