Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Miss Amanda Jones
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 25, 2012 01:17

Gotta agree with some of the less enthusiastic posters here, this is messy and forgettable pop.

Drew

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 25, 2012 16:33

drewmaster
Gotta agree with some of the less enthusiastic posters here, this is messy and forgettable pop.

Drew

Between the buttons is probably not gonna be mentioned beside The marriage of Figaro year 2213 ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 25, 2012 17:52

Ruby Tuesday will be listened to 200 years from now.

Don't know about the rest of the album.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 25, 2012 18:14

Love the song, wishe sthey would play it live.

Date: December 25, 2012 18:23

yeah, didn't like I wanna be your man . . that was a dud.

Miss amanda Jones, oh yeah

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 25, 2012 18:40

A great little power-pop track. Snappy and energetic. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I recall a moment when the volume seems to up a notch for a few seconds.

Date: December 25, 2012 18:47

the song itself is not much, but it is some of Keith and Bill's best instrumentals.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 25, 2012 21:13

I've always had a soft spot for the UK version of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, even if not all songs are excellent, but this one is. Great album opener, and I like many others on this thread I regret that they never played it live, if only a few times.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 25, 2012 21:15

I seem to recall this song in a movie. Am I correct? If so, what movie/movies has this song been in?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 25, 2012 21:31

Silver Dagger
Absolutely brilliant pop song that pre-dates punk and new wave by a good 10 years. This crazy ditty really captures the dizzy spin of what it must have been like trawling the clubs of Carnaby Street-era London with all the debutantes and early groupies trying to capture a pop star.

At the heart of the song is the misogyny that informed much of Aftermath and most of the Stones classic mid-60s singles, Jagger taking a pot shot at the 'debs' trying to make the scene.

And let's not forget the manic sound that Keith cranks out of his guitar, like a speeding sports car careering home in the early hours from some London club.

Fans recently remarked on the new found sense of danger when Mick Taylor rejoined the Stones for Midnight Rambler. Well there's plenty of danger on this track, especially in Keith's up and down guitar that sounds like it could crash and burn at any moment.

Well put!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 26, 2012 00:27

I always liked this track.
Simple perhaps but it rocks.
Another great cut on the "Charlie Watts solo LP"
as someone once said.
Never realized that Brian was not on the cut.
Imagine it what it might have been if Brian
had added his color.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 26, 2012 00:37

MingSubu
I seem to recall this song in a movie. Am I correct? If so, what movie/movies has this song been in?

Funny Movie............

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 26, 2012 00:48

Always thought that this song was THE perfect song fitting for a live performance during the 1969 US tour, with the new line-up and new sound with the strong guitar work of Taylor and Keith I could easily imaging it having a heavy rocking live version on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out". Somehow the Stones never looked back at "Between the Buttons" and thus missed the obvious potential of this song for the 1969 US tour. It would have rocked the house (Madison Square Garden) without any doubt.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:00

liddas
One of the pillars of my Stones' foundation. The seed of what would be Exile, the sexy chaos - yes the structure and the sound is 60 pop, but r'n'r is about to take over! Boogie bass lines, rock and roll guitar, Keith's bu vocals - A GREAT track!

C
Wow.. It does remind me of Exile aside from the louder vocals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 01:00 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:22

thabo
Always thought that this song was THE perfect song fitting for a live performance during the 1969 US tour, with the new line-up and new sound with the strong guitar work of Taylor and Keith I could easily imaging it having a heavy rocking live version on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out". Somehow the Stones never looked back at "Between the Buttons" and thus missed the obvious potential of this song for the 1969 US tour. It would have rocked the house (Madison Square Garden) without any doubt.

Are you kidding?........I don´t think the Stones consider this UK BtB as one of their highlights....I love the record as a nostalgia with some great songs on it

Date: December 26, 2012 01:29

Supposedly this was written about one of Brian Jones' girlfriends singer Amanda Lear.

"Although she remained Dalí's confidante, protégée and mistress through the 1960s and 1970s, Lear was also romantically linked to Brian Jones, resulting in the ironic Rolling Stones track "Miss Amanda Jones" on the 1967 album Between the Buttons.

Ironic because Brian isn't even on the track.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 26, 2012 11:42

Released in stereo and dedicated mono.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 26, 2012 14:06

This song is brilliant, guitars are in front, very in front, and there is some nice weaving on it ( i thought it was KR + BJ weaving)
Very underrated gem

Posted by: tallstone ()
Date: December 26, 2012 16:38

I have always dug this track since I bought the album in 1978.Yes 11 years late but I was too young in '67.
IMO Between The Buttons is an underrated album.
Then again with so much great material a few albums are bound to get overlooked.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 26, 2012 19:47

Rock Group

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: December 26, 2012 21:18

Compare this song to Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadows?

I very rarely hear that being played, it is more of a novelty tune. .

sort of pop psychology, 19th Nervous Breakdown revisited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 21:19 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:31

jjsteve
did anyone see the 1980's movie, "some kind of wonderful".. lead character that lea thompson plays is amanda jones, after this song... the other main charachters are "keith" and the drummer chick "watts"... and there's a cover of miss amanda jones in the movie too...

Yep always stuck in my head that version in the film...not bad at all

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:30

marvpeck
I always liked this track.
Simple perhaps but it rocks.
Another great cut on the "Charlie Watts solo LP"
as someone once said.
Never realized that Brian was not on the cut.
Imagine it what it might have been if Brian
had added his color.

Brian might be on it, but some folks are assuming he isn't.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:33

mitchmitchell
Supposedly this was written about one of Brian Jones' girlfriends singer Amanda Lear.

"Although she remained Dalí's confidante, protégée and mistress through the 1960s and 1970s, Lear was also romantically linked to Brian Jones, resulting in the ironic Rolling Stones track "Miss Amanda Jones" on the 1967 album Between the Buttons.

Not ironic and not about Amanda Lear.

Date: December 29, 2012 15:35

His Majesty
mitchmitchell

Not ironic and not about Amanda Lear.

Go ahead and correct the Wikipedia entry. Then you can give us all the "straight scoop".

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 15:56 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:02

Best song they did before Beggars.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:22

What the hell could Brian have done to 'colour' this song? Keith already had a stabbing riff going, and that was about it for Brian's contributions to rockers like this. It sounds a little Beach Boys-ie in a really f-ed up way. It's not recorded well, and I don't find myself wanting to hear it again. To each his own. But I can see where it might have been straightened out with a few live playings. Of course Bill isn't there anymore. Okay, forget it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:09

"Hey girl, with your nonsense nose all pointing right down at the floor
Hey girl, your suspender shows and the girl behind you looks a bit unsure

Round and round she goes, the world of Amanda Jones
I said round and round and round and round
The balls and the dinners and show
The little girl, she just wanders about
‘Til it's time for her coming out, miss Amanda Jones"

Could very well be about Amanda Lear, alleged transsexual.

Date: December 29, 2012 21:33

I had never heard of her before, frankly.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 29, 2012 23:49

NICOS
thabo

I don´t think the Stones consider this UK BtB as one of their highlights

There is no doubt about that, Mick called the album rubbish. And that is exactly my point. Because the Stones never looked back at that album (atleast that was the case in the late 60's and the 70's) they missed the obvious potential of "Miss Amanda Jones" being a great rocker for the new guitar duo Richards / Mick Taylor to put their teeth in, it would have been THE perfect song for this new line-up and sound in the 1969 US tour. But because of this attitude (as you point out) they had succesfully pushed the whole album out of their conscious memory. Like the proverb says "Be carefull not to through away the baby with the bathwater".

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home