Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Is this a masterpiece?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:16

the way keith describes MR as a "blues opera" - this to me is a "funk opera" - super daring and experimental - makes a statement - and everyone plays their ass off

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:18

StonesTod
71Tele
Exile was a masterpiece...This is very, very good.

how many very's until a masterpiece is achieved?

Qualifications of the sort of 'very good' never give a work the status of masterpiece, regardless of the number of very's.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:20

hbwriter
the way keith describes MR as a "blues opera" - this to me is a "funk opera" - super daring and experimental - makes a statement - and everyone plays their ass off

you mean "his" ass off. unless someone has more than one, of course....

Date: December 23, 2012 17:21

kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Qualifications of the sort of 'very good' never give a work the status of masterpiece, regardless of the number of very's.

interesting. what about "extremely's?" same rule apply?

Date: December 23, 2012 17:22

StonesTod
hbwriter

yes - it is early here - my grammar button is not on yet smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2012 17:23

hbwriter
StonesTod
hbwriter

yes - it is early here - my grammar button is not on yet smiling smiley

do you have a grampar button, too?

Date: December 23, 2012 17:34

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Extremely suffices.

Date: December 23, 2012 17:48

kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Extremely suffices.

yeah, ok...but then how many extremely good's to make a masterpiece. hb is asking. he started this whole fiasco.

Date: December 23, 2012 17:59

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Extremely suffices.

yeah, ok...but then how many extremely good's to make a masterpiece. hb is asking. he started this whole fiasco.

One extremely good is enough. More extremely's don't make good better.

Date: December 23, 2012 18:07

kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Extremely suffices.

wow. i had no idea there was such a dramatic difference between very and extremely. that's very, very good to know...but not in the extreme.

Date: December 23, 2012 18:21

StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
kleermaker
StonesTod
71Tele

Extremely suffices.

wow. i had no idea there was such a dramatic difference between very and extremely. that's very, very good to know...but not in the extreme.

But now you show you totally see the big difference between the two. You may qualify big as dramatic, though the word dramatic is too big for me in this context.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 23, 2012 18:30

It's very, very good, or even extremely good. But is it very unique? I always love when people say something is very unique, as if it can only be somewhat unique.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 18:30 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 23, 2012 19:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 01:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 23, 2012 21:20

71Tele
It's very, very good, or even extremely good. But is it very unique? I always love when people say something is very unique, as if it can only be somewhat unique.

you really love it when ppl say stupid things, eh? that prolly helps explain why you frequent this place....

i'm still annoyed with the whole "i personally..." biz. i'm waiting for someone to explain how the "personally" adds anything to the comment...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:10

StonesTod
71Tele

you really love it when ppl say stupid things, eh? that prolly helps explain why you frequent this place....

i'm still annoyed with the whole "i personally..." biz. i'm waiting for someone to explain how the "personally" adds anything to the comment...

Personally is often used like an intensive pronoun, instead of the word 'myself.'
Here's an example:
Personally, I think there are some posters who excel at redundant, superfluous conversations.grinning smiley

Date: December 23, 2012 23:36

latebloomer
StonesTod
71Tele

Personally is often used like an intensive pronoun, instead of the word 'myself.'
Here's an example:
Personally, I think there are some posters who excel at redundant, superfluous conversations.grinning smiley

take "personally" out of that sentence and you lose absolutely no intensity. you can't think in any other way but a personal one. and i know you know this. you're making a mockery of this site.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:49

StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
71Tele

Here's an example:

take "personally" out of that sentence and you lose absolutely no intensity. you can't think in any other way but a personal one. and i know you know this. you're making a mockery of this site.

I myself would never waste valuble space on this august site by engaging in mockery and sarcasm.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:02

I agree, no need to put personally. We all know it is personal opinion and people are writing editorials in a sense.

Date: December 24, 2012 00:32

whitem8
I agree, no need to put personally. We all know it is personal opinion and people are writing editorials in a sense.

and what about you, yourself on the question of "i, myself?"

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:45

we played this last night at our lil xmas party. Big fun

Date: December 24, 2012 01:12

StonesTod
71Tele

Actually, what I really love is people who use cutesy shorthand words like "prolly" because words like "probably" are apparently too cumbersome to type. That's speaking personally, of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 01:19 by 71Tele.

Date: December 24, 2012 01:15

i always like the rule from strunk & white's elements of style - that the four words - very, rather, little, pretty - are (something to the effect of) "leeches that suck the blood of prose"

71 - fyi one of my neighbors is one of your biggest customers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 01:35 by hbwriter.

Date: December 24, 2012 01:16

hbwriter
i always like the rule from strunk & white's elements of style - that the our words - very, rather, little, pretty - are (something to the effect of) "leeches that suck the blood of prose"

Ah, which one?

Date: December 24, 2012 01:21

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

Actually, what I really love is people who use cutesy shorthand words like "prolly" because words like "probably" are apparently too cumbersome to type. That's speaking personally, of course.

there's nothing cute about prolly. the vernacular of our language has been taking a solid beating for decades now and it's appalling.

Date: December 24, 2012 01:23

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

there's nothing cute about prolly. the vernacular of our language has been taking a solid beating for decades now and it's appalling.

Vernacular often works better in spoken form rather than written. Prolly.

Date: December 24, 2012 01:27

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

i've never tried it in the spoken form. thanks for the tip. cheers.

Date: December 24, 2012 01:30

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

i've never tried it in the spoken form. thanks for the tip. cheers.

I was joking. Should I use smileys to indicate such?

Date: December 24, 2012 01:35

71Tele
hbwriter
i always like the rule from strunk & white's elements of style - that the our words - very, rather, little, pretty - are (something to the effect of) "leeches that suck the blood of prose"

Ah, which one?

not sure of name - i see him walking the dog all the time when i walk ours -he's always wearing your gear - lives on Carousel i believe in HB

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 24, 2012 01:36

personally, i think personally goes without saying

Date: December 24, 2012 01:39

hbwriter
71Tele
hbwriter

Ah, which one?

not sure of name - i see him walking the dog all the time when i walk ours -he's always wearing your gear - lives on Carousel i believe in HB

This in LA, hb?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home