Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Bruce on Tumbling Dice
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:52

Bruce and the Stones, my favouite two artists by a considerable margin. Even my IORR name bitusa2012 points to that - Born In The USA.......

....but Bruce on Tumbling Dice was just not a good fit. His voice didn't suit.

BUT what WAS obvious, as someone who has read and heard considerable volumes to the effect that The Stones (and the rest of the British Invasion of the'60s) - along with Elvis - was what MADE Bruce get into music in the first instance, was his LOVE and JOY at just being on stage with them. THAT was priceless.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:57

I understand why they had him on and don't think he completely ruined the song, but he added nothing. A chuck berry would have been a better fit.

If you want a song destroying........ invite Jeff Beck .eye popping smiley

sc uk

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:16

This was up on backstreets, the youtube one got taken down, in case anyone missed it:

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:33

Let's not dump on Bruce. Something didn't click is all. I thought Jack White should have beeng great on Shine A Light and his vocals just didn't cut it that night. Lady Gaga, John Mayer, and Mick Taylor were the best of the guests last night.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:48

The Stones have a very tight rhythm and sound that is very hard for them to fit any other artists into. I think Bruce was a fun interesting guest, nothing more nothing less.
Heres my long winded take on the perceived musical troubles bruce had:
I am a guitar player, and can tell you that as simple as tumbling dice sounds, it is actually quite complex chording, many of keith's riffs(TD, BS, SMU, etc) come from adding the 4 and 6 to a regular open chord, which makes it somewhat difficult to find a good scale to solo over. Tumbling dice is even more difficult, because the song has an almost country major scale feel, but with the 4 chord being added and the 4th added to that its a take off the mixolydian thing for solos, just major or minor pentatonic wont cut it. Bruce heavily relies on basic pentatonic structuring for most of his solos(Adam Raised a Cain, Prove it All Night...etc), so I think the confusing keith chording threw him for a bit of a loop.
As far as the vocals are concerned, mick may not be a singer with an overly impressive range, but his vocal parts are really quite unorthadox, and can be exceptionally challenging to find the correct notes.
In other words, Bruce stepped into the ring with a crazy pissed off giant gorilla in the other corner and came out alright. Cut the man some slack, like someone else said...ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL!!!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:49

erbissell
This was up on backstreets, the youtube one got taken down, in case anyone missed it

Thank you! I had missed it. Agree that there were better song choices for Bruce, and that he added nothing to the song (nice Keith-style solo though). He also took nothing away from it. Verdict: It's only rock 'n roll.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:37

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:44

howled

"Too much pain and too much sorrow". And too much organ, but nice.

Street Fighting Man, 1985

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home