Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bruce on Tumbling Dice
Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:47

Was it me or did Bruce seem to fire up the band for this song to the point where Bruce looked like an amateur next to the Stones?

Re: Bruce on Tumbling Dice
Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:53

I think Bruce was just totally thrilled to be out there with the Rolling Stones. How could they not feed off his enthusiasm?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:54

Oh he was thrilled and I am not knockong him I really like Bruce I just thought the Stones were so on last night that Bruce was a little overshadowed and that is hard to do the guy is a hell of a performer himself.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:13

slew
Was it me or did Bruce seem to fire up the band for this song to the point where Bruce looked like an amateur next to the Stones?

No it's not just you. I'm trying to understand (and failing totally) to comprehend what on earth they brought him on for, and most astonishingly of all - for Tumbling Dice out of all things. He just got in the way of a song that they and they alone currently do the most wonderful justice to. His "contribution" went right past me therefore, over my head I'm afraid !

Maybe dragging him onto the stage was a contractual obligation for playing in the state of New Jersey ? winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:14

I thought he was exreemely pleased to be on with them,Idon't think he added anything to the song he just looked genuinely glad to be on there.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:15

He loved it, they loved it, we loved it. Springsteen got a new fan yesterday. I've been digging The Essential for some hours today. After seeing him like that I'm starting to understand him more. It's like I see him in a whole new light, and I'm happy about it. Always been an album guy, so The Essential is probably not the best place to start. Digging the songs "The River" and especially "Nebraska".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:19

He was just thrilled to be there. He was so thrilled that he forgot to go to the 5 chord in his guitar break.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:20

I can't stand Bruce. I swear he never plugs his guitar in...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:22

I love Bruce, but I don't think Tumbling Dice was the right song for him...he seemed to struggle with the singing. I would have thought something like Ruby Tuesday would have suited him better.

Date: December 16, 2012 18:23

JumpingKentFlash
He loved it, they loved it, we loved it. Springsteen got a new fan yesterday. I've been digging The Essential for some hours today. After seeing him like that I'm starting to understand him more. It's like I see him in a whole new light, and I'm happy about it. Always been an album guy, so The Essential is probably not the best place to start. Digging the songs "The River" and especially "Nebraska".

We ? Speak for yourself matey boy, not for me

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:25

i preferred this tumbling dice duet to springsteen's (though his was pretty good - just seemed like an odd fit to me)

Posted by: rocknroller ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:28

We might never see a combo like that again

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:32

Odd choice of songs for him, it would have been perfect for
Springsteen to have played on Run Rudolph Run, but that was
never gonna happen, was it?

The only worthwhile, properly utilized guests were Mayer and Clark, the rest were there to sell PPVs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 18:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:33

Forgettable.

Springsteen on TD was a bad fit. He looks more like a excited fan than a contributing guest. He style really contrasts with the Stones. He is too blue collar for them. He looks too countryish with that bowlegged bounce and fist pumping. To rah rah for me.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:34

The Sicilian
Forgettable.

Springsteen on TD was a bad fit. He looks more like a excited fan than a contributing guest. He style really contrasts with the Stones. He is too blue collar for them. He looks too countryish with that bowlegged bounce and fist pumping. To rah rah for me.

well put - maybe start me up would have been better - seriously - more anthemic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 18:40 by hbwriter.

Date: December 16, 2012 18:38

paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash

Well, I thought it was the highlight of the evening. They probably chose that song because Bruce did it a few times before. Or maybe it's his favourite Stones song. Who knows? Doesn't matter. This tour has seen two of the best guest spots I've seen by anyone. Welch and Springsteen. There was also one of the worst guest spots I've ever seen. Lady Gaga. Doesn't matter. The good FAR outweighs the bad. The Black Keys were a riot too. That Springsteen performance was good. He didn't add much, that's true. He did however bring joy to the stage. As if we didn't have enough of that yesterday, there came Bruce and it reached a whole new level.

BTW: Weren't you in the pre-show movie?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:53

Crazy good version.
I was totally impressed!

Sorry that I wasn't happy when Bruce was announced as a special guest.
I was WRONG!

That song flat out @#$%& rocked!!!!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:03

Ouch. I thought Bruce was terrible on that. Mick was really great but in being so he put poor Bruce to shame. His singing was bad and his playing worse. If your gonna sing with Mick Jagger last night you had better be on your game, sadly Bruce was not, imho. I understand the excitement of the hometown boy and all that but it didn't do much for the music. peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:08

Naturalust
Ouch. I thought Bruce was terrible on that. Mick was really great but in being so he put poor Bruce to shame. His singing was bad and his playing worse. If your gonna sing with Mick Jagger last night you had better be on your game, sadly Bruce was not, imho. I understand the excitement of the hometown boy and all that but it didn't do much for the music. peace
I agree, I thought his voice did not add to the song, actually distracted form it. There are better songs for him to play on.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:10

theanchorman
I can't stand Bruce. I swear he never plugs his guitar in...

You've never attended one of his concerts obviously.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:19

Bruce sang well a ripped a nice solo. How anyone could say he added nothing of was a bad fit seems odd or just pre-prejudiced. Bruce was surely influenced by the Stones as a young man and TD was a great choice.

I was at the Prudential Center on Thursday, best Stones show I've seen since '81.

Date: December 16, 2012 19:22

JumpingKentFlash
paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash

Well, I thought it was the highlight of the evening. They probably chose that song because Bruce did it a few times before. Or maybe it's his favourite Stones song. Who knows? Doesn't matter. This tour has seen two of the best guest spots I've seen by anyone. Welch and Springsteen. There was also one of the worst guest spots I've ever seen. Lady Gaga. Doesn't matter. The good FAR outweighs the bad. The Black Keys were a riot too. That Springsteen performance was good. He didn't add much, that's true. He did however bring joy to the stage. As if we didn't have enough of that yesterday, there came Bruce and it reached a whole new level.

BTW: Weren't you in the pre-show movie ?

Er ... yes I was, answering some very silly question about having a gun put to my head and being forced to have sex with one of the band members !! I don't know why they chose that particular bit to put in there !! Horrible !!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:23

Unlike the other guests he didn't really bring anything to the show.But his spastic body movements and shit eating grin kind of reminded me of GRRRegory so maybe that's why he was there. Otherwise I actually thought the guests Thursday and Saturday inspired the Stones unlike the ones in the past PPVs like Eric Clapton, Dave Mathews, John Lee Hooker, Taj Mahal, Josh Redmond, Sheryl Crow etc etc.

Date: December 16, 2012 19:24

Naturalust

Yep, that's exactly it. Agree 100 percent.

Date: December 16, 2012 19:26

paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash
paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash

BTW: Weren't you in the pre-show movie ?

Er ... yes I was, answering some very silly question about having a gun put to my head and being forced to have sex with one of the band members !! I don't know why they chose that particular bit to put in there !! Horrible !!

>grinning smiley<

They probably knew it was you.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:03

I like Bruce, but to me he was probably the most underachieving guest spot on this tour.
His vocal was poor and, well let's face it... he's live not the best guitar player. I know that he played some fantastic guitar on his albums though.

He was very enthusiastic, yes. But that doesn't make it a great performance.

About Gaga... love her or hate her, she put on a show you can expect from her. So if she done wrong, blame Mick.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:04

Springsteen butchers everything. The vocals, well...
And his hard guitar strumming looks so ridiculous.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:07

BowieStone
I like Bruce, but to me he was probably the most underachieving guest spot on this tour.
His vocal was poor and, well let's face it... he's live not the best guitar player. I know that he played some fantastic guitar on his albums though.

About Gaga... love her or hate her, she put on a show you can expect from her. So if she done wrong, blame Mick.

Concerning Bruce - it was the wrong song choice. As i said in a previous thread, He would've been better suited to play with one of their 60's songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:23

Chris Fountain
BowieStone

Concerning Bruce - it was the wrong song choice. As i said in a previous thread, He would've been better suited to play with one of their 60's songs.

I was thinking it was going to be Street Fighting Man...I think that would've been better than Tumbling Dice. I liked Bruce up there with them, but seemed a wasted opportunity.

Date: December 16, 2012 20:24

TooTough
Springsteen butchers everything. The vocals, well ...
And his hard guitar strumming looks so ridiculous.

<<< The vocals, well ... >>>

Precisely

<<< And his hard guitar strumming looks so ridiculous >>>

Agree 100 percent, that was curiously enough my very thought as I was standing there watching him do it.

Glad I'm not the only one to have thought this way. I do understand the NJ hometown boy bit n' all that, and I've no doubt lots of people in the audience were thrilled to see him there, but in terms of a guest appearance and musical contribution ... there was nothing there at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 20:51 by paulywaul.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home