Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Australian Tour 1973 - greatest rock 'n' roll tour
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2006 15:08

its a '72 audience - unfortunately your (and probably one of my) 'Holy Grails' are still elusive!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 25, 2006 15:18

I find amazing that an old audience tape from 1972 can be buried until today! The only reason I find to this is that the taper thought as Gazza's Dylan trader and didn't realise the treasure he has. But anyway... The other day I leasrned that the Handsome Girls tapes started to circulate in 1995! Man, that's not a lousy recording one has buried under thousands of records! Was Handsome Girls stolen from the KBFH archives or what?

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: April 25, 2006 15:54

The Fort Worth show for years only circulated as a 27 minute pro shot video (the show was to be the 1978 concert film but was unreleased). No audience recording of that show (to my knowledge) has ever circulated.

The full show only first circulated when 'Handsome Girls' was released. I dont even recall it being in tape collectors' circles before that.

The material on discs 3 & 4 are from the KBFH recordings, but were remastered from the original source tapes. As far as I recall, until then, the boots from these recordings (lexington, Memphis, Houston & Detroit) came from broadcast sources - which meant that the expletives were edited out. Plus, of course, there was no "@#$%&" as they couldnt broadcast that one.

Incidentally, the legendary Perth tape that is mentioned frequently in this thread didnt circulate until the mid/late 80's. Two soundboards came out around the same time and were circulated/bootlegged as Perth 24.2.73 1st show and Perth 24.2.73 2nd show until some research showed that there was only one Perth show and that the 2nd soundboard came from Sydney.

Its understandable that soundboards can be uncirculated for years (look at the slew of '81 soundboards that have surfaced in the last year or so) but its rare for audience tapes, because its natural to think that if a fan went to the trouble of taping a concert they went to, theyd circulate, sell or trade it

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2006 19:39

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (JumpinKentFlash, you MUST be joking about Perth)

No I'm not. The one called Rock 'n Roll Stew is great. That's the best of them. Perth is not so good. They play great but they seem to just go through the motions and they sound tired and wasted. Not the best show for me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 25, 2006 19:54

Gazza Wrote:
> > Incidentally, the legendary Perth tape that is
> mentioned frequently in this thread didnt
> circulate until the mid/late 80's. Two soundboards
> came out around the same time and were
> circulated/bootlegged as Perth 24.2.73 1st show
> and Perth 24.2.73 2nd show until some research
> showed that there was only one Perth show and that
> the 2nd soundboard came from Sydney.
>
>

the story here is that an ex-roadie was given tapes of his favorite Stones show(s) and he picked from his favorite tour - Australia '73. My memory is sketchy on why he was given 'em in the first place. In any event, that's how they came into circulation a decade or so later. Think I first heard Perth around '86 or so...

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 25, 2006 20:12

My opine on 73-Australia, from a "late-night" post a couple of months ago:

HBN has the innate advantage of giving you most of two shows. But, more importantly these discs are RAW Stones. I've carefully applied the acid test - when I'm shit-faced drunk, and want to listen to the very best rock n roll that I have in my collection, I find that I instinctively reach for HBN. Perth, the afternoon show is very good, very hot, very raw. The Taylor wah-wah on GS is just better than any guitar soloing I know about. He nails it. All the rest of the set is played strongly, and it's just the Stones at their best. But, the second disc (I believe it's Sydney, help me out someone) surpasses all others. The guitars are loud, loud, loud, and veer dangerously close to being out of control. More great MT, but the joy of this set is Mr. Keith Richards. And, after all, if you're looking for the very best Stones live, you're essentially looking for the best Keith, aren't you? As I said earlier, RAW baby! Bitch, Rocks Off, Happy, Little Queenie, listen to the Human Riff riff. He is killing it man.

And, as much as I like the MJ of today (and of almost every tour and album), he sounds at his peak in Australia. Again I'm going to use the word raw, and he is cutting it loose. While I think he is technically a better singer today, it was EOMS, the 72 tour, and the 73 tours where he really lets the emotion fly. No one comes close to Mr. J as a "rock" singer. Disagree and I'm going to pull-out Happy Birthday Nicky to prove you wrong. He da Man!

Oh the drummer sounds pretty wickit too!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 25, 2006 20:23

I LOVE Perth '73. They sound so raw and sloppy. Check out Keith’s vicious riffs on Bitch! Am I right in thinking that Keith was took LSD before this show? It was the only time he's performed on it apparently. Great version of Gimmie Shelter with Mick Taylor using a wah-wah pedal. It's outstanding stuff. I've never really compared it to the European shows that followed. Though, they did sound cleaner, but maybe that’s just the recording. Taylor shines on both.

If you want to talk about Taylor’s playing being more restrained and understated, then you need to listen to Leeds 71. He's quietly and subtly wonderful throughout

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 25, 2006 21:06

had to go back and listen to Perth. What a rocking show! Guitars are totally fused.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:57

Gazza Wrote:
--------------------
> its a '72 audience

Totally awesome!
Is this an alternate source for an existing show or a completely new, previously uncirculating show?

Date: April 26, 2006 00:21

New and previously uncirculating, I believe....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 26, 2006 00:53

Gazza, is it to push it too far, to ask if the recording is of historical interest or of enjoyable interest ? smiling smiley

Date: April 26, 2006 01:09

I havent heard it yet, but the taper said its "a pretty darn clean" copy (its actually one of the St Louis shows from 9.7.72)

I'd listed it on my setlists page as a show with no circulating recording, but I got an e-mail confirming that he'd recorded it (and the circumstances surrounding how he managed to do so!)

an extra bonus is the fact that he taped Stevie Wonder's opening set as well. I'm unaware of any recordings from that tour which feature the support act too.

Date: April 26, 2006 01:13

Thanks for replying, Gazza!
I hope the taper think it's allright to share it.
If he doesn't agree, please keep your copy in a fire-safe box for 40 years or so.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: April 26, 2006 01:36

Gazza Wrote:
> its actually one of the St Louis shows from 9.7.72

Wow, one of my personal "Holy Grails". I never thought we would get to hear one of the St. Louis shows. It´s good to see that new sources of old recordings keep surfacing.
Let´s hope the taper allows his recording to get widely distributed before the damn Japanese bootleggers get their hands on it.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 26, 2006 05:06

Does the Aucklnad show-boot have a name?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: April 26, 2006 12:07

Winter Tour - Auckland 1973 (VGP 011, if my memory serves me right)

also:
All Meat Music (2cd, VGP)
There's Not A Friend To Help Me Through (Shaved Disc)

Date: April 26, 2006 21:21

Edward Twining Wrote:
> I have just been listening to my bootlegs of the
> 1973 Australian tour and i must say at least in
> bootleg terms it sounds like the Stones greatest
> rock 'n' roll tour.
> I know the setlists varied like on most tours but
> i do feel on the Perth and Sydney bootlegs the
> songs seem to flow so well into two brilliant
> shows.
> I also feel this tour also sounds more like a
> group effort - the later european tour sounding
> increasingly like a Mick Taylor proficiency test.I
> am not knocking Taylor though i love him but the
> late 73 tour is slightly more sophisticated
> sounding.
> I haven't yet found any bootlegs from the 72
> American tour to match either the Australian or
> European tours in either energy or sound quality.

This is diffucult to disagree with although,the Norfolk '72 recording presents quite a bit of energy.It's a shame that the '72 shows weren't recorded better.

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: April 27, 2006 14:21

didnt someone post a number of songs from the Australian tour here? if an extremely generous person wants to do the same for the brussells affair i am sure noone would complain

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: April 27, 2006 15:14

Andrew I can send you Brussels if you want. I also have a quite a few 73 Oz shows I can send your way if you don't have them.

Perth 73 to my ears is the greatest show ever. Greatest show in the greatest city!
:0)

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: April 27, 2006 22:01

monkey man Wrote:
> Perth 73 to my ears is the greatest show ever.
> Greatest show in the greatest city!
> :0)

I agree, though I haven't been there. Both the performance and the soundquality beats Sydney.
If you listen to Rock'n Roll Stew from Sydney......The first sec of Brown Sugar is from Perth. When the tape changes, you hear how much clearer Perth is.
Man, we should have had those 6 songs, to make it complete!

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: April 28, 2006 02:06

monkey man that would be amazing. how do i contact u?

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: April 28, 2006 10:54

Just email me mate at theavoider@hotmail.com or gimme a call on 0419 802 842.

You're a Perth lad as well if I'm not mistaken?
Either way I've got these I can run off for you:

All meat music – 18.1.73 LA Forum – Nicaraguan Benefit
Eat meat on stage – Brisbane 14.02.1973
125 degrees in the shade – Melbourne 17.02.1973
Rocks Off – Perth 24.02.1973 (Complete except last two songs)
Happy Birthday Nicki - Perth 24.2.1973 / Sydney 26.2.73 Australia
Welcome to Australia - Sydney complete show 27.2.03
Brussels affair 1973
The Jean Clarke Memorial Sonic BBQ – Europe 1973

They're the only 1973 shows I have but they're all rip snorters.
Drop me a line or call mate.
Peace.

And Erik, make it a place to get to before you toddle off from the planet.
It's a beautiful city.
:0)

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: April 28, 2006 15:27

I agree - a fantastic Tour - heaps of energy.

The soundboards are great, but even the Aussie audience recordings are very good.
I have always wondered why the Aussie audience recordings were so much better than the crappy US 1972 Tour aud recordings... ?? And the Europe '73 aud recordings are again much better than the US ones..??

Kyle - you forgot to mention the Adelaide shows.

Date: April 28, 2006 15:42

It's strange that 17 out of 19 shows from Winter Tour 1973 is available on CD. That means about 90%. And most of them or much better than the average 70s recordings. I've also wondered why?
Perhaps a reason is that the concerts were outdoors, so the audience didn't become stoned of the smokers, and did a better recording......no, perhaps not. Perhaps people in Australia have more money and better equipment than in US?
Can't someone with a good suggestion come up with something? I'm just making a fool of myself here.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: April 28, 2006 15:50

ha ha...

I have no idea.

Probably the simple reason is that the tapers from the US had crappy seats?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home