Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: TONIGHT ON NIGHTLINE - "IS THIS THE END?"
Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 14, 2012 22:36

If this instead will be an end, it is the end to Rolling Stones tours. Not necessarily to the band as such. New recorded material and single, more or less closed concerts to an invited audience - filmed and made available to the public - can still follow from the Rolling Stones as a unit later on. If not as a certainty, far from it. However, no announcement, I sincerely hope.

Can't agree on that. It took them 5 weeks of rehearsals and a couple of warm-up shows to be able to do these gigs. And they haven't done one-off's outside tours in decades.

I do hope we'll get the tour next year. If we don't, I don't expect much more.

Posted by: stringpull ()
Date: December 14, 2012 22:45

MJ sounded cold cold cold. Maybe it is time to put it to bed cause they'll never be as great as they are right now. It took alot of time, work,PR and money to get to get to the PPV. Then maybe they can start eating solid food for the first time in 50 years .....Keith is a little ahead of them. Check out that little pot belly he's got going.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 14, 2012 23:32

There will be a number of shows to come.

Maybe they'd better take Shepherd's Pie off Keith's buffet table.

Date: December 15, 2012 07:55

Witness
JumpinJackOLantern
Deathgod
I saw that TV int earler.
Mick looks done.
It's obvious he and Keith haven't been mates for eons.
We all knew, but it was sad to hear about the writing.playing together days have long passed.
I kinda got the feeling he can't wait for this 50 thing to end.

I will be sad if this last gig is the LAST gig, but I tip my hat to a bunch of guys who have had a huge effect on my life and have been with me on this life journey.

To me being a Stones fan isn't just about the music, it's a way of life.
The lazy slight off the beat riff is embedded in my soul.
I feel it even when Im not playing or hearing it.

If the PPV is it, thanks for starting the greatest rock n roll band on the planet.

And if you are going out, RIP THIS JOINT!

Excellent observations. There is nobody more optimistic then me but this sounded like the clock was close to striking midnight. I came away from this a little pissed. Sounds like Mick never wanted to do this "50 thing" until it was "thrust on him", as he stated during the interview. I am beginning to think he isn't quite as smart as I originally thought him to be. Sounds like he wants all this to end as quickly as possible. Also, sounds like he and Keith really will never be that close again. Sounds like they can work together within the group but will never be able to be in the same room alone together banging out new music. This is very disturbing. I guess we have to get used to the new formula and hope for the best. The two new songs are pretty good so maybe they can still pull this off writing from separate continents. Certainly not ideal. Somehow I don't think Mick will ever truly forgive Keith. That makes me both sad and angry. Jagger is much colder than I thought him to be.

What there is between Mick and Keith, seems to be restricted to, at best, a good working relationship. However, at the moment as much as that. Stated by Mick in plain words and in a rather reserved manner. A reserve displaying some personal distress towards Keith rather than coldness, was my impression. - I share the sadness you expressed, but not the anger. Personal relationships involve difficult matters, as we should know most of us from our own lives.

The big question then is if Mick feels the need and the inspiration to work. And if he does, through the Stones or outside the Stones. A continuation of these concerts during 2013 does not emerge quite as much as a given fact like it did before these interviews, I agree.

And it is the matter of the physical strain on Charlie, who apparently would not in advance have missed to do these concerts. Keith on the other hand seems more fit than through several years. As a result, probably more motivated than recently to do more after this spell of concerts.

If the two of them, Mick and Keith, cannot again in any reborn understanding sit in the same room and throw ideas to the other any more in making new songs, I wonder if they could be willing to send each other tapes of ideas they themselves originally believed in, but feel they have not managed to fulfill. Done in a good working relationship and in the respect of the other's ability. I suppose Keith in that case ought to be the first one to send Mick such a tape.

For the Stones to be able as a living band to go on with live concerts, my impression is that they need to have the infusion of inspiration and vitality from making and recording songs to an amount equivalent to an album. And two or three songs out of this will probably have to be good enough and suited, also in the public eye, to be played live in addition to the new songs of 2012. The reaction of the public to these new songs was at any rate promising.

If this instead will be an end, it is the end to Rolling Stones tours. Not necessarily to the band as such. New recorded material and single, more or less closed concerts to an invited audience - filmed and made available to the public - can still follow from the Rolling Stones as a unit later on. If not as a certainty, far from it. However, no announcement, I sincerely hope.

Good comments. It's sure going to be an interesting winter. If they can endure eight weeks of rehearsal you would think they could set aside another eight weeks out of their lives to nail down one last great album. The one knock on them has been their lack of artistic output over the past fifteen years since Bridges. One would think they would be chomping at the bit to prove they still have what it takes in the recording studio in the form of new music. If they walk away and never do another album I will be very disappointed in them. It is time to seize the moment and carry this momentum they have built up with the fives shows to the studio ASAP. They can always do more shows as they see fit. I am afraid if they wait too long something could happen to one of them and the opportunity will be lost forever.

Date: December 15, 2012 08:13

stringpull
MJ sounded cold cold cold. Maybe it is time to put it to bed cause they'll never be as great as they are right now. It took alot of time, work,PR and money to get to get to the PPV. Then maybe they can start eating solid food for the first time in 50 years .....Keith is a little ahead of them. Check out that little pot belly he's got going.

One last great album is almost a must if they are going to close this thing out right. They really have nothing left to prove as a live act. They are simply the best of all time. But there is still some unfinished business and that takes place in the recording studio. I wonder sometimes if Jagger realizes how important it is to get that monkey off their back that they have dried up artistically? He seemed to not get the importance of the 50th anniversary. What was he going to do just ride off into the sunset after ABB? I think Keith really wants to be close to Mick again. Not sure Mick has it within him to ever want to be close to Keith again.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: December 15, 2012 08:33

I really can't seem them taking too long a break before hitting the road again if they are to keep on rolling.
6 weeks of rehearsals for 5 shows, the band is super form.
Don't stop now, don't want Keef to get 'rusty'.

Date: December 15, 2012 08:39

Deathgod
I really can't seem them taking too long a break before hitting the road again if they are to keep on rolling.
6 weeks of rehearsals for 5 shows, the band is super form.
Don't stop now, don't want Keef to get 'rusty'.

I can live with more shows but really think they should carve out some time early in 2013 to bang out a new album. I think the album is more important to their legacy than more shows. Of course it has to be a good one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 15, 2012 08:45

JumpinJackOLantern
stringpull

One last great album is almost a must if they are going to close this thing out right. They really have nothing left to prove as a live act. They are simply the best of all time. But there is still some unfinished business and that takes place in the recording studio. I wonder sometimes if Jagger realizes how important it is to get that monkey off their back that they have dried up artistically? He seemed to not get the importance of the 50th anniversary. What was he going to do just ride off into the sunset after ABB? I think Keith really wants to be close to Mick again. Not sure Mick has it within him to ever want to be close to Keith again.

Mick's making it work...if he's not feeling 'warm and cosy' towards Keith who can blame him. I've liked the two new songs and the concerts appear to be great, and I'm looking forward to the PPV tomorrow night.

They don't need to do anything else, no more new albums, or tours, they've done it all better, at a higher level, more consistently than anyone else.

If the 'shows over' we have no shortage of material to pour over.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 15, 2012 08:56

You guys!! come on!!! with the never ending END TALK.

They are already planning shows for next year, keep your ears on the track.

Date: December 15, 2012 08:56

D you think the band 'know' if it is over ?
Will be interesting to see their body language at the final bow.
If we see a tear or two, or a longer than usual wave and bow it could be time.

What a way to go out if they do...in sparkling form.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 15, 2012 08:58

The Stones have blocked off 2013 to work together. Whatever form that takes.

Date: December 15, 2012 09:11

Max'sKansasCity

That's great but a new album at this point is far more important than a few more shows. They need to get this monkey off their back that they are dried up artistically. One last great album seals the deal.

Date: December 15, 2012 09:14

Max'sKansasCity

Hey, I'm with you, excited about it and actually believe it a tour/maybe new album will happen. I'm just so 'satisfied' with what we've already been treated to that the rest is just gravy really. Did you see the thread about material we've received since 2009...pretty unbelievable.

It all will end at some point though, and probably relatively soon...I'm not calling for an end, but it is going to happen.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 15, 2012 10:58

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
stringpull

Mick's making it work...if he's not feeling 'warm and cosy' towards Keith who can blame him. I've liked the two new songs and the concerts appear to be great, and I'm looking forward to the PPV tomorrow night.

They don't need to do anything else, no more new albums, or tours, they've done it all better, at a higher level, more consistently than anyone else.

If the 'shows over' we have no shortage of material to pour over.

My idea is that the Stones need the infusion of inspiration from making new material for the band's live performances to stay fresh. The same goes to preserve the appearance of important occasion to the public eye, audiences at large as well as media writers. It seems to have been regained now once again, but for how long? The rather enthousiastic reception to the two new songs of 2012, apart from what there was of song quality and finishing recording effort, may have had much to do with the way the songs were made familiar to listeners, many of which would not have bought even a good studio album.

If correct, this shows a complicating factor associated with doing a new album. How shall it reach a concertgoing audience large enough? In the next instance, how can the band be able to perform vitalizing new songs during concerts to audiences that will be familiar with such new songs and applaud them? The stalemate which has led to theories called «Las Vegas era», seems certain to repeat itself sooner or later.

However, in the circumstances the band itself has happened to land on a possible solution that functions in the present situation. It is by making new material, possibly more in the form of individual songs than an album, available in a similar manner as to the two songs of 2012, that an audience may learn to appreciate new songs. Then it might be that it would be in the form of a live album, also featuring exquisitely arranged versions of a few warhorses, markedly separate from former live versions, that the band during the last weeks of a possible tour will be able to sell new songs to a record buying public that would care about their new songs.

For that matter, to me this is hopefully not a last occasion, on which I hope for new material, but rather as a first one of what instead might become a last phase of their career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-15 11:00 by Witness.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 15, 2012 15:30

Jagger states in the end, he will be glad when its over..

so no new shows???
maybe its his way of being funny.

jeroen

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 15, 2012 16:01

Your all reading too much into Mick and Keith, Gee they have been around each others ugly mug for along time. Their getting to a point in their lives now, that they don't have to hang out.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 15, 2012 18:44

they have not hung out together since 1985
jeroen

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 09:10

Give them a break. They've put out ton's of good music over the year's and you can hardly blame them for being tired of eachother after all the time spent together. I know for myself after spending even a weekend together with someone I once spent ALL my time together I've had enough and only want to go home. Try that times a thousand and think about how crazy you'd be about the possibility of spending every day with these same people for the next 6 month's or so. No thank's! And these guy's are no different. They've done their time together and no doubt none of them would care much if they never had to see eachother again!

Date: December 18, 2012 10:47

maybe this was the inspiration behind 'oh no, not you again..' .

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 18, 2012 17:36

I would love to have a NEW Stones cd next year but I agree, they really have nothing left to prove. Any band of 69-71 year old guys who can put on a performance like the one I saw in Brooklyn and on the PPV on Saturday night, HAVE proven that they are not only still vital but that they can put ALL other bands to shame....except McCartney----he is on the same plain as far as performance goes. Mick has a huge edge on Paul and Roger Daltrey however because Mick's voice is still powerful and not failing!!
As far as Mick's relationship with Keith goes, I feel that it is between them...not our business. If I were Mick, I'm not sure I could ever feel the same way about a one time mate who betrayed me quite publicly. Justin, I agree with your take on the situation. Mick is the Peter Pan of Rock Gods and HATES the whole aging thing....I know how THAT feels! He does want those stupid interviewers' qustions to end. I think he still loves the fans' adoration. That is his fountain of youth in some respects. (that and his great genes and great eating habits).
I'm betting they do a few more shows in 2013. Keith came right out and said so...the Stones machine is in performance mode, lets' just enjoy it!

TONIGHT ON NIGHTLINE - "IS THIS THE END?"
Date: December 18, 2012 18:24

@Mickschix

...that's it thumbs up!!! Let's just enjoy our "boys" as long as it gets... tongue sticking out smiley.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 19, 2012 03:35

they still have the magic and can still rock. it is a matter if they want to continue to do so or not.

Date: December 19, 2012 03:43

Midnight Toker
they still have the magic and can still rock. it is a matter if they want to continue to do so or not.

Is Mick's heart into it? I know Keith and Ronnie want to continue. The key is Mick, it always is.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 19, 2012 04:09

JumpinJackOLantern
Midnight Toker

Is Mick's heart into it? I know Keith and Ronnie want to continue. The key is Mick, it always is.
Is money green?

Date: December 19, 2012 04:19

riverrat
JumpinJackOLantern
Midnight Toker

Is money green?

Depends on the currency...always has.

Date: December 19, 2012 04:56

riverrat
JumpinJackOLantern
Midnight Toker

Is money green?

Was Clint Eastwood's poncho green or was it brown? Or both?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:11

Some very interesting comments. Who knows what Mick and Keith's relationship is at the moment? Sometimes I think it's all part of the act. At this point I think all 4 of them are key at their ages. Charlie is a cancer survivor, Keoth and Ronnie have abused themselves to no end and Sir Mick was no choirboy back in the day. Can any of them stand a full blown tour?? Only they know that. Also how old is Daryl? If something were to happen to him would they tale the time to audition bass players? Doubtful. If they are to do anything else they need to do it because Time is not on their side anymore. The interviews by the way are STUPID!!! I wish someone would ask some decent questions.

Date: December 19, 2012 05:19

slew
Some very interesting comments. Who knows what Mick and Keith's relationship is at the moment? Sometimes I think it's all part of the act. At this point I think all 4 of them are key at their ages. Charlie is a cancer survivor, Keoth and Ronnie have abused themselves to no end and Sir Mick was no choirboy back in the day. Can any of them stand a full blown tour?? Only they know that. Also how old is Daryl? If something were to happen to him would they tale the time to audition bass players? Doubtful. If they are to do anything else they need to do it because Time is not on their side anymore. The interviews by the way are STUPID!!! I wish someone would ask some decent questions.

Can anyone do a decent interview anymore? Maybe a former prosecuting attorney could get Mick to come clean about what is really going on in that mind of his. Everything is always such a mystery with him. Again, we are now left to speculate about what comes next, if anything.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:22

Mick is always very guarded in what he has to say. Part of what makes him facsinating and somewhat of a mystery.

Date: December 19, 2012 05:29

slew
Mick is always very guarded in what he has to say. Part of what makes him facsinating and somewhat of a mystery.

Frustrating is the word that comes to mind.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home