Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who else plays/has played in a Rolling Stones Tribute?
Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: December 5, 2012 20:36

I'm pretty new to the IORR forum but I just realised I'm not the only one who has played in a Stones Tribute.

Are there any other Tributees out there? Who did you play for? and who did you play?

I was Keith for Stoned Again for about 20 months back in the mid 90's.

Re: Who else plays/has played in a Rolling Stones Tribute?
Date: December 5, 2012 20:39

So many...

[www.google.com]

Date: December 5, 2012 20:49

I realise there are loads but I was wondering how many of the people contributing to the IORR site are in or have been in Tributes.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2012 20:50

PhilipStaniforth
I'm pretty new to the IORR forum but I just realised I'm not the only one who has played in a Stones Tribute.

Are there any other Tributees out there? Who did you play for? and who did you play?

I was Keith for Stoned Again for about 20 months back in the mid 90's.

what kind of amps and guitars did you use in the tribute band, as Keith?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 5, 2012 20:51

I sang for two of them, once in 94-95 and again, very briefly, in 2001. The first was a ridiculous Halloween dress-up band full of obsesssed fans worried more about their makeup/clothes than actually playing well. It was like being in a band of Fake Elvises (let's be honest, a dress-up tribute band has no more artistic cred than that).

The second one was better and didn't take itself so serisouly, but again, being with guys who only want to cover other music is boring enough; being in a band that wants to only cover one artist (to the point that they cover obscure stuff that's not even good and that people wouldn't know/care about) is suffocating.

Never again will I ever subject myself to such utter lame-ness.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: voodoopug ()
Date: December 5, 2012 21:16

I have played the "Keith" in two...

The Voodoo Pugs (Chicago)(1998-2006)

Tumbling Dice (Chicago) (2007-present)- www.myspace.com/tumblingdice1 or www.facebook.com/tumblingdice band

I currently use a Fender '57 Twin amp. My guitar arsenal is as follows...

52 Fender Custom Shop Telecaster (Ltd. Edition) with the humbucker in the neck
52 Fender Telecaster Reissue with normal neck pickup
52 Fender Custom Shop Telecater with Humbucker in the neck (Limited 2005 NAMM)
72 Fender Telecaster Reissue
Gibson ES-355 (Black - its a copy of Keith's)
Gibson ES-355 (Red)
Gibson Les Paul Jr. (double cut - TV Yellow)
56 Fender Custom Shop Mary Kay Strat (Limited Edition)
56 Fender Custom Shop Strat (burst)

Date: December 5, 2012 21:25

duke richardson
what kind of amps and guitars did you use in the tribute band, as Keith?

A 2x12 Marshall Jubillee at the time. It had a special clipped distortion channel setting which worked quite well. It gave the KR edgy sound with the presence set quite high.

Guitars were Gibson Les Paul standard, Gibson Les Paul Special (like a Junior with 2 pick ups ), a custom built replica of a Fender tele 72 Custom, this was a few years before the Fender re-issue series, a Dan Armstrong sliding Pick up model I used for Paint it Black, and a back up Squier Tele. Both Teles were 5 strings.

For anyone who went to Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield on the Voodoo Lounge Tour, who saw the tribute band in the pub across the road, that was me!

Date: December 5, 2012 21:30

How did you like your Dan Armstrong? Was it the Plexiglass version?

Date: December 5, 2012 21:33

No it was the wooden one with the sliding pick up. The tone was quite odd but it sounded a bit like a sitar guitar.

Date: December 5, 2012 21:35

voodoopug
I have played the "Keith" in two...

The Voodoo Pugs (Chicago)(1998-2006)

Tumbling Dice (Chicago) (2007-present)- www.myspace.com/tumblingdice1 or www.facebook.com/tumblingdice band

I currently use a Fender '57 Twin amp. My guitar arsenal is as follows...

52 Fender Custom Shop Telecaster (Ltd. Edition) with the humbucker in the neck
52 Fender Telecaster Reissue with normal neck pickup
52 Fender Custom Shop Telecater with Humbucker in the neck (Limited 2005 NAMM)
72 Fender Telecaster Reissue
Gibson ES-355 (Black - its a copy of Keith's)
Gibson ES-355 (Red)
Gibson Les Paul Jr. (double cut - TV Yellow)
56 Fender Custom Shop Mary Kay Strat (Limited Edition)
56 Fender Custom Shop Strat (burst)

Wow! That's some serious gear. I'll check you guys out on your links. You must be getting some decent gigs to pay for that lot or you are a weekender?

Date: December 5, 2012 21:36

Oh I think I know which one you are talking about...I bet the sliding pickup gave you all kinds of different tones. I played the plexiglass one (like keith's) that one was bit odd too.

Date: December 5, 2012 21:43

@ Philipstaniforth -- LOL...my gig money supports my guitar habit thats for sure. But, I got most of them off ebay for pretty good deals. I love all of Keith's guitars, so he has inspired most of my purchases through the years.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 21:46

I have friends in tribute bands. They earn good money but it destroyed their musical soul. Many tribute acts seem to act like they think they're the real deal! There's nothing sadder.

Peoples energy would be much better put to use making their own music and being influenced by their favourite band, rather than pretending to be them. Honestly, the amount of wasted talent playing in what amounts to nothing more than a caberet act is sad to see.

I feel very sorry for anyone involved in this type of thing. Please stop copying your heroes whether in a wig or just musically and put your talent to some creative purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 21:47 by sjs12.

Date: December 5, 2012 21:53

@ Sjs12 -- It's all in good fun. It's all about playing the music you love, having a few beers and getting to flirt with chicks you would never get to talk to in a normal setting. The Stones are a great band to cover because the have done everything from country to blues to disco to rock. Plus they have so many songs to choose from. We don't dress up like the Stones with the wigs and all that. We are just doing what the Stones did for the Blues...we are just spreading the gospel of good old fashioned rock n roll.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 5, 2012 21:55

As a laugh, I auditioned for one a couple of years ago. The singer insisted he be called "Mick", which was hilarious. The odd thing was that they only knew Vegas-era arrangements of the songs. They loved my playing but wanted me to wear a wig to be "Keith" and I just couldn't see myself doing that.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:00

No, I see that and some of my friends are in very good tribute bands. However they are talented enough they could have made very good music of their own but got trapped by the high pay of being in a tribute band. A reasonable stones or Beatles tribute act can make 1000 - 2000 quid a night whereas struggling original bands can make next to nothing. My friends now regret having done that whereas I don't regret having gone down the original music route.

But I quite enjoy a good tribute. My point is that I prefer to see the same quality original band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 22:01 by sjs12.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:01

Was in the short-lived Keef & The Coconuts.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 5, 2012 22:06

That's quite funny, insisting on being called Mick but not knowing any arrangements before 1989.

The dressing up and getting in character is all part of the fun. I grew my hair, had it cut like Keith's in the early 70's and dyed it black. It's much easier than wearing a wig. We had stage names based on the real ones but I'd never expect anyone to use it off stage, especially other band members.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:08

As a Taylorite, I just couldn't get behind playing in a Woodite version of the band.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:18

71Tele
As a Taylorite, I just couldn't get behind playing in a Woodite version of the band.

Not even a decent 75 vintage Tribute where Woody tried to play like Mick T all night.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:20

PhilipStaniforth
That's quite funny, insisting on being called Mick but not knowing any arrangements before 1989.

The dressing up and getting in character is all part of the fun. I grew my hair, had it cut like Keith's in the early 70's and dyed it black. It's much easier than wearing a wig. We had stage names based on the real ones but I'd never expect anyone to use it off stage, especially other band members.

did the drummer in your band play Gretsch, with a set up like Charlie's?

Date: December 5, 2012 22:27

PhilipStaniforth
71Tele

Not even a decent 75 vintage Tribute where Woody tried to play like Mick T all night.

That would have been cool. To keep it authentically 1975, as "Keith" I could have showed up three hours late and then stood there in a stupor.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:29

duke richardson
PhilipStaniforth

No, we always struggled with finding an authentic drummer. I'd be surprised if there are many decent Charlies out there.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:43

PhilipStaniforth
duke richardson
PhilipStaniforth

No, we always struggled with finding an authentic drummer. I'd be surprised if there are many decent Charlies out there.

true...

did you play JJF in standard or open tuning? G w capo at 4th?

Date: December 5, 2012 22:45

G W Capo at 4th for me. Although, I used to do it in regular tuning.

Date: December 5, 2012 23:05

Always open G capo at the 4th. This is same as the live version. I'm convinced the studio version isn't open G at the 4th.

I found the sound of the studio version was by standard tuning with a capo on the 2nd fret but only over the bottom 5 strings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home