Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: RIP Dave Brubeck
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:11

latebloomer
StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
whitem8
Tod, I love Indian Summer, fantastic record! Was listening to it last night when I heard he passed, weird. RIP Dave.

incredibly, he outlived his partner, paul, by 35 years. desmond might be my favorite sax player of all time...at least tied with johnny hodges, johnny hodges, johnny hodges....they had very similar sounds and styles. for folks who claim to not like jazz: i dare you to listen to hodges or desmond for at least a week and then tell me you still don't. that's a double-dare, in fact.

thumbs upthumbs up
StonesTod every once in a while you are serious and it's like a breath of fresh air...

but seriously, i hate jazz. so boooooorrrring!

Couldn't resist, could you? You are so predictable....tongue sticking out smiley

you asked for it and it would have been rude not to respond in kind....tis not the season to be rude...or something.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:34

StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
whitem8
Tod, I love Indian Summer, fantastic record! Was listening to it last night when I heard he passed, weird. RIP Dave.

incredibly, he outlived his partner, paul, by 35 years. desmond might be my favorite sax player of all time...at least tied with johnny hodges, johnny hodges, johnny hodges....they had very similar sounds and styles. for folks who claim to not like jazz: i dare you to listen to hodges or desmond for at least a week and then tell me you still don't. that's a double-dare, in fact.

thumbs upthumbs up
StonesTod every once in a while you are serious and it's like a breath of fresh air...

Couldn't resist, could you? You are so predictable....tongue sticking out smiley

you asked for it and it would have been rude not to respond in kind....tis not the season to be rude...or something.

You know what? You're right, I did ask for it. Here's my peace offering...

Date: December 6, 2012 20:06

Fondest memories... RIP David Brubeck.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2012 21:59

StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
whitem8

thumbs upthumbs up

love Hodges and Desmond too..but haven't found their styles/sound similar..

both get a breathy tone but Hodges is much more sensual...warm valley..

both had distinctive sounds you recognize in one or two notes...

Date: December 6, 2012 22:07

duke richardson
StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
whitem8

thumbs upthumbs up

love Hodges and Desmond too..but haven't found their styles/sound similar..

both get a breathy tone but Hodges is much more sensual...warm valley..

both had distinctive sounds you recognize in one or two notes...

they both have what i think of as a "liquid" quality to their playing...legato, i guess...like they don't even have tongues...or something.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: December 7, 2012 02:50

I was traveling Europe in the summer of '82. I saw the Stones in Basel & Dave at the Montreux Festival with BB King. Met Sugar Blue there. May have seen Stevie Ray (didn't know who he was at that time). I regret not seeing more Stones shows that summer. Btw, who was the band at the Nyon Folk Festival with the pink haired female singer? I thought they were gonna go big.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 7, 2012 03:17

Sad.

But..jazz is boring. zzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 7, 2012 03:29

Brubeck was one of the true innovators.

Nothing boring about him.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 8, 2012 15:46

I was out of town for a couple days and didn't have an opportunity to respond to this thread. I was very sad to hear of Dave Brubeck's passing. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to catch two or three of his shows when he came to my hometown for the Rochester International Jazz Festival (which has been growing by leaps and bounds over the last 10 years). Even in his later years, Dave and the others members of his quartet were able to pull off brilliant musical and entertaining performances. At one of these shows, I hung out afterwards with just four other people, who like myself, were hoping to catch and meet Dave as he was exiting the theatre. Sure enough, Dave came out and signed autographs and even chatted with us for a few minutes. He was so gracious and kind. It was a moment in time that I will always cherish. Rest in peace, Dave. You are one of a kind and truly an icon in the world of jazz.

Date: December 8, 2012 16:00

Sighunt
I was out of town for a couple days and didn't have an opportunity to respond to this thread. I was very sad to hear of Dave Brubeck's passing. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to catch two or three of his shows when he came to my hometown for the Rochester International Jazz Festival (which has been growing by leaps and bounds over the last 10 years). Even in his later years, Dave and the others members of his quartet were able to pull off brilliant musical and entertaining performances. At one of these shows, I hung out afterwards with just four other people, who like myself, were hoping to catch and meet Dave as he was exiting the theatre. Sure enough, Dave came out and signed autographs and even chatted with us for a few minutes. He was so gracious and kind. It was a moment in time that I will always cherish. Rest in peace, Dave. You are one of a kind and truly an icon in the world of jazz.

that's cool that he took "time out" to sign and chat with you.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2012 16:05

StonesTod
Sighunt

Even more impressive that he was able to 'take five' minutes to 'take five' autographs for you all.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 8, 2012 16:13

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt

Even more impressive that he was able to 'take five' minutes to 'take five' autographs for you all.

Unfortunately for me, the decision to go back around the theatre to meet Dave was a last minute one on my part. I had no Brubeck CDs, pen or paper with me. THe other four people who were there had their Time Out albums with them ready for Dave to sign (which he obliged very gracefully) I think back on that, and that was the only thing I regretted.

Date: December 8, 2012 16:41

Sighunt
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt

Unfortunately for me, the decision to go back around the theatre to meet Dave was a last minute one on my part. I had no Brubeck CDs, pen or paper with me. THe other four people who were there had their Time Out albums with them ready for Dave to sign (which he obliged very gracefully) I think back on that, and that was the only thing I regretted.

my biggest regrets (so far - i plan on upgrading them soon) are passing on count basie and frank sinatra in separate gigs. i still punch myself in the face on occasion when i think about these missed opps. there i go again. Oww! but, i deserved it....

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 8, 2012 16:48

His drummer was Joe Morello. Charlie Watts used the Ludwig 11A Joe Morello drumstick, hickory, up until Vic Firth came out with the Charlie Watts Signature stick. The same stick, really, but the Signature stick has a thicker neck, not as tapered.

Date: December 8, 2012 16:53

Carnaby
His drummer was Joe Morello. Charlie Watts used the Ludwig 11A Joe Morello drumstick, hickory, up until Vic Firth came out with the Charlie Watts Signature stick. The same stick, really, but the Signature stick has a thicker neck, not as tapered.

i didn't know drummers had their own sticks. kinda like baseball players' bats, i suppose. it's really amazing the number of similarities between rocknroll and baseball. kinda eerie, even....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 8, 2012 17:28

StonesTod
Carnaby

i didn't know drummers had their own sticks. kinda like baseball players' bats, i suppose. it's really amazing the number of similarities between rocknroll and baseball. kinda eerie, even....

yep..lotta chemical enhancement in both..

Date: December 8, 2012 17:33

duke richardson
StonesTod
Carnaby

yep..lotta chemical enhancement in both..

and team/band chemistry, too! omg! it gets weirder all the time.

Date: December 8, 2012 20:17

StonesTod
Sighunt
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt

my biggest regrets (so far - i plan on upgrading them soon) are passing on count basie and frank sinatra in separate gigs. i still punch myself in the face on occasion when i think about these missed opps. there i go again. Oww! but, i deserved it....

...and here you'll go again missing the Stones. Life ain't gonna get any more pretty for you by the looks of it. Better buy a goalie mask.

Date: December 8, 2012 20:38

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt

...and here you'll go again missing the Stones. Life ain't gonna get any more pretty for you by the looks of it. Better buy a goalie mask.

if yer gonna go comparing the stones to the count or the chairman of the board now...yer gonna have yerself a few regrets

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 8, 2012 22:33

Fortunate enough to catch him live at The New Haven Jazz Fest a few years back.

I'm gonna steal a post from NPR and share a thought that some fan had with Brubeck
backstage.

The note says succinctly what Brubeck was like in person as well as the intellectual
and physicality of what Brubeck accomplished. It's worth noting here that some folks
are blessed with physical attributes that make them well adapted for their profession:

"Mr. Brubeck will be missed. One record I played the grooves off was
"Two Generations of Brubeck", an album with his sons. The solo piece
"Thank You" (translated from Polish) was my favorite. I saw him on a
winter night in Boone, NC sometime in the mid 80's. It was snowy and
the sax player was stranded in Buffalo. Perhaps that was Mr. Militello.
The show was great despite the missing player.

"After the show I went backstage to get an autograph. There were several
of us waiting in a hallway outside the dressing room. Someone came out
and said we could come in but the local press would be allowed in first.
In Boone that meant the "Mountain Times" and the "Watauga Democrat".
Bless them but they knew nothing about Brubeck. I walked in with them
as if I was a reporter. I don't remember what questions they asked but
I do remember they were not all that interesting. The next thing you
know Mr. Brubeck and I were deep into a discussion with the reporters
feverishly taking notes.

"I asked him about his span. I had read he could span a 12th with his
humongous hand. He replied by asking me what my span was and I
said a tenth if I got on the very edge of the keys. He put up
his hand for me to put mine against. He had an entire knuckle
past my pinky.

"We talked about time. And he explained a song called "Tritonian".
I forget which was which but the Bass, Drums and Piano all played
in different times. One in 2, one in 3 and one in 5. At certain time
intervals the math worked out where all their glorious ones came
together. To explain it he patted one hand on his knee in 2 and the
other hand on the other knee in 3 while he counted out loud to 5.
It blew my mind.

"I was thrilled when he played "Thank You" during the show. I asked
him what songs he played that he would not have played if the sax
player was there and "Thank You" was the first one he mentioned.

"Years later, he performed it on a TV special. It was a little
different but I feel sure it probably was every time he played it.
He had aged quite a bit but the mastery was still very evident.
The solid unrelenting beat with the left hand and the complete
independence of his right hand toying all around the beat is
incredible. The subtlety and nuance of his dynamics is awesome.
It's not flashy but it gives me chills."

- posted via the "On Point" page

Date: December 9, 2012 05:28

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Sighunt

if yer gonna go comparing the stones to the count or the chairman of the board now...yer gonna have yerself a few regrets

I think you've made, the biggest mistake of your life. Hey, isn't there a song that goes like that?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:05

StonesTod
Carnaby

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home