Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: shouldn't Dick Taylor be a guest in one of the shows?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 6, 2012 19:36

Just imagine if Mick Avory did play with the band and become their permanent drummer. Then you would have three Micks and a Dick.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:22

Stu was obviously a full band member and official Stone. This easily confirmed when they had to go through thr routine of kicking him out - if that's how you see it. He was asked to leave the band if you prefer that interpretatation.

I never heard Mick, Keith or Brian ever refer to any of the others as being regarded as band members , Just guys who they were trying out or filling in untill they found someone else - people they needed to work with when they had a gig to fill.

Even Bill was not considered to be fully in the band even though he played with them regular. Brain was still wishing he could find another bassist. Only when they turned pro in May was Bill confirmed as a full member. Publicity meant they had to make an press announcement of who _exactly_ the band members were. Stu was out - Bill was in at that point.

If you remember from my book, I was there when Stu was sacked.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 7, 2012 19:10

Silver Dagger
>grinning smiley<
gotdablouse
I'm afraid the casual fan would get confused between Mick Taylor and Dick Taylor, so it's a no no...

Too right. At one point there could be 2 Micks and a Dick on stage. 50 Licks with Mick, Dick and Mick!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 7, 2012 21:03

FrankM
Gazza
FrankM
thabo
lettingitbleed
He left before they recorded any material...so..no he should not be there.

Why not get all the random guest drummers that played before Charlie joined too??

No there is a difference Dick Taylor was really a memberr of the band and they had only rotating drummers because they couldn't find a staedy one, but Dick Taylor was really a Rolling Stone playing at ALL their 1962 gigs and they did record "Don't Judge a Book by Looking at it's Cover" with Dick Taylor in 1962.

Maybe I am wrong but to me The Rolling Stones are/were the five members of the band when their first recordings were released plus Taylor and Wood. I don't think even the band thinks of Dick Taylor as a former Rolling Stone.

So basically Stu was never a Rolling Stone? And they weren't the Rolling Stones for those 100-odd gigs they played before June 1963 when they worked hard to build up the fanbase who bought their first record?

Yeah technically you might be right, it's kind of a murky area. Wikipedia lists Chapman, Dick Taylor and Stu as former members but I still think when most people think of band members they think of when the band is established and putting out records. If Chapman and Dick Taylor are considered ex band members then wouldn't that make Charlie and Bill NOT original members?

They aren't original members really, in much the same way that Ringo isn't an original member of The Beatles, but...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 19, 2012 20:35

Talking of Dick Taylor, is it worth catching "The Pretty Things" live these days? I'm asking because they'll be in Paris next year with the infamous Henry Padovani (first guitarist of The Police) opening for them!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home