Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which London show was better?
Posted by: doster ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:14

What do you think? Which show was better?

Re: Which London show was better?
Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:16

I was at both: the second one.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:21

I've also been at both shows. The second show was better playing wise but the first night had this special feeling as nobody knew what was coming. Everybody was speculating which song they would open with and what the setlist would be like.
So I would say: You can't really compare them.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:41

henrik87
I've also been at both shows. The second show was better playing wise but the first night had this special feeling as nobody knew what was coming. Everybody was speculating which song they would open with and what the setlist would be like.
So I would say: You can't really compare them.

Exactly my feelings. I agree entirely.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:46

Agreed. I thought the playing was better the second night but there was more of an atmosphere of celebration on the first night. Both were exceptionally good!!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 30, 2012 15:53

john lomax
Agreed. I thought the playing was better the second night but there was more of an atmosphere of celebration on the first night. Both were exceptionally good!!

thumbs up +1

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 30, 2012 16:03

Very curious...does anyone now how The Last Time sounded yesterday...cannot seem to find a video here of it....thanks to everyone who has posted them!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 30, 2012 16:09

Consensus so far seems to be night 2 had the edge musically.

I only went to the first night and on reflection given the choice again I think I'm glad I did pick that one.

The element of surprise in (for a change) going to a Stones gig and having pretty much no idea what they were going to play next added to the unexpectedly high performance levels was something that probably wasnt there for people going to the second night as well (or people who had seen the setlists and read the reviews of night one) made it even more special.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 30, 2012 17:00

i'm going with wembley '73 - taylor stayed for the whole gig, which gives it the edge

Posted by: ladywilliam ()
Date: November 30, 2012 17:07

Beast
john lomax

thumbs up +1

thumbs up +2

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 30, 2012 17:20

The second 02 show was the best.

The most obvious reason was the showpiece, Midnight Rambler. For the second show Mick Taylor was much better rehearsed and far more at ease. He really took to his new, albeit brief starring role, and you could see him relishing playing out front and taking his leads with confidence.

On his first solo in the song he was really going for it, pushing and bending those bluesy notes in that wonderful, unique style of his. But it kept getting better and better. There was no hesitation this time, the more he reached out the better it sounded. You could really hear the crowd urging him on and it was truly wonderful to be part of that.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 30, 2012 17:41

Blue
Very curious...does anyone now how The Last Time sounded yesterday...cannot seem to find a video here of it....thanks to everyone who has posted them!

My memory tells me it was excellent. This was the first number of the evening that really got me dancing. I was at the pre concert reception and they were very freely pouring the wine so my memory is a bit hazy. I didn't video this song though so I'll be eager to view one if one gets posted.

Date: November 30, 2012 17:48

thumbs up Thank you, jazzbass, VERY nice to hear they did a good job on it! It's a real old favorite, will keep an eye out for the video, hopefully, someone filmed it, unless everyone was dancing , who knows.. By the way...thought Mick and Arcade Fire did a fantastic version on it on Saturday Night Live! thumbs up

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 30, 2012 18:05

Satisfaction was waaaaaaaaaaaay better at the second show. Just my opinion

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 30, 2012 18:40

Munichhilton

He he - and Lady Jane at the first show ... winking smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 30, 2012 18:54

The anticipation of the 1st night could never be repeated, but I think last night was tighter musically and the guests were better fits .

Lady Jane was just beautiful . I'll have to listen to recordings to be sure of which night Keith was better, but he has a great pair of shows ! Most consistent since No Security.
Rambler was just f**king mind blowing.

They can't do 5 shows like this and just say "thanks it was a great ride" can they ?

sc uk

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 30, 2012 19:58

Munichhilton

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

good one

i really liked Fool to cry at the second one, better than the first show

jeroen

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 30, 2012 19:59

straycatuk

They can't do 5 shows like this and just say "thanks it was a great ride" can they ?

Depends.
When does monotony officially set in? 8th show? 9th?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:16

First was incredible, second outständing hot smiley
To bad we will miss the 3 other shows confused smiley

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:41

I would say the 1st show was better, but I must say I didn't saw the 2nd show.

In the 1st show was Mick Taylor for the 1st time since 37 years with The Rolling Stones back on stage and Bill Wyman for the 1st time in 22 years. And in the 2nd show Mick T. and Bill were for the 1st time since 4 days with RS on stage. drinking smiley

Posted by: pft ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:51

[www.youtube.com] it was unreal!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:53

I think the element of surprise was the opener to Sunday's show. When the house lights went out I think me along with 99% of the audience were expecting the wall of flame and the opening chords of Start Me Up or JJF blasting out. To be honest it took me a few seconds to realise what the song was but loved it.

Date: November 30, 2012 21:59

pft

Been waiting for this one!! Many, many thanks for this!! They, again, did justice to this great song.. Does anyone know who is playing the riff, is it Keith or Ronnie? Whoever it is did a really good job!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:03

Gazza

I only went to the first night and on reflection given the choice again I think I'm glad I did pick that one.

The element of surprise in (for a change) going to a Stones gig and having pretty much no idea what they were going to play next added to the unexpectedly high performance levels was something that probably wasnt there for people going to the second night as well (or people who had seen the setlists and read the reviews of night one) made it even more special.

Agreed! I (vicariously) attended both shows : Sunday I spent my whole evening i ront of my computer. Yesterday I joined the party when the warhorses were played...
(not to say that the 2nd gig was bland... Logically the band played better that 2nd night).

Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: November 30, 2012 23:58

I went on Sunday and followed the gig on IORR last night.

Sunday was probably a bigger event with all the unknowns and the expectation. It also got all the coverage on TV and the weekend press. The show seemed a bit dis-joined at times, gaps between songs and there were a few technical hitches. I think there was some nerves showing as well in the playing, particularly from Keith.

Thursday had better guests, a better set list and from what I've seen so far on Youtube, better playing. Mick Taylor was much better. The show must have been slicker as it didn't overrun.

With the benefit of hindsight I would probably choose the Thursday show. What I am regretting is not catching both.

It's also quite possible the shows will improve some more. The 3rd US show maybe the best of all.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: December 1, 2012 05:10

Blue
pft

Been waiting for this one!! Many, many thanks for this!! They, again, did justice to this great song.. Does anyone know who is playing the riff, is it Keith or Ronnie? Whoever it is did a really good job!

from that angle, it looked to me like Keith was playing Brian's part. I could be wrong though...
-----------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 1, 2012 08:39

straycatuk
The anticipation of the 1st night could never be repeated, but I think last night was tighter musically and the guests were better fits .

Lady Jane was just beautiful . I'll have to listen to recordings to be sure of which night Keith was better, but he has a great pair of shows ! Most consistent since No Security.
Rambler was just f**king mind blowing.

sc uk

+1 thumbs up

<<< They can't do 5 shows like this and just say "thanks it was a great ride" can they ? >>>

No, I don't think they can, and more to the point - I don't think they will ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: December 1, 2012 09:44

You make me lough!!!! They can't do 5 shows like that? You are just frustrated to don't go to NY/NJ, but I know they will be amazing there! If they were amazing in London, they will be in NY/NJ too.

Benjamin.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 1, 2012 10:13

benstones
You make me lough!!!! They can't do 5 shows like that? You are just frustrated to don't go to NY/NJ, but I know they will be amazing there! If they were amazing in London, they will be in NY/NJ too.

Huh ? What the f**k are you talking about ? You OBVIOUSLY do not understand English. The point that SCUK was making is this, that SURELY they will not ONLY do these 5 shows, they will do MORE in 2013. It's not THAT difficult to understand !!

Just a suggestion .... don't be such an idiot, don't post s**t, don't be offensive, and learn the f**King language of this message board before you post complete and utter rubbish.

Oh and for your information, I WILL be going to all 3 NY shows !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 10:20

Hey lighten up on the non-english speaking stones fans.

English is my first language and I wish I could speak it.

Imagine what it must be like for Texans.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home