Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Midnight Rambler O2 Nov 29
Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:28

All and all,way better then the first night.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:38

Either I'm hearing things, or did I catch Taylor noodling with the riff from "Monkey Man" towards the end of one of the last breaks... he plays it slow as the temp slows down and repeats the riff a few more times, once right at Keef and then turns around and plays it again... I know I've heard him throw that riff in on CYHMK in the past...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:56

gripweed
Either I'm hearing things, or did I catch Taylor noodling with the riff from "Monkey Man" towards the end of one of the last breaks... he plays it slow as the temp slows down and repeats the riff a few more times, once right at Keef and then turns around and plays it again... I know I've heard him throw that riff in on CYHMK in the past...

I don't hear it grips...you ain't wrong but I don't hear it...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 1, 2012 03:08

StonesTod
would someone kindly ask mt to play it like it was '72 again? i think that would satisfy us all.

Just asking him would satisfy you, or does he actually have to do it?

Date: December 1, 2012 03:43

WOW. MT blew me away again. What a master guitar player. I can't wait for his performances here come out on DVD or CD - anything! I saw him in Charlottetown, Canada back in 2003 and he was brilliant there too.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 1, 2012 04:07

I have just sat and watched all of the videos of this song posted on this thread multiple times. This is great on so many levels. MT is excellent on this, the band sounds great, Charlie sounds great and is having a blast, Mick sounds and looks great (Hope I'm half that agile and youthful at 69!!), Jesus. This might be the best performance I have seen in their modern era ('89 and beyond). Thanks for posting ALL the vids!!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 1, 2012 04:24

Yes, this version was impressive and MT played really well and so did the whole band. Jagger jumping around like he is 30 years old. Great Stuff.

Posted by: RollingGnome ()
Date: December 1, 2012 04:39

That was awesome I loved it

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 1, 2012 06:10

Anything negative I've said about the Stones in recent years I take back! That is smokin'.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 08:06

That was bloody well played....

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 12:06

Gibson668

That was well played...

If by "well played" you mean they fumbled every single change in the song,
rendering it utterly devoid of drama

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 12:31

Munichhilton
gripweed

I don't hear it grips...you ain't wrong but I don't hear it...

i hear you , grip, about 6:30 in .

its no wonder though , monkey man and cyhmk riffs are 90% the same .

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:20

superrevvy
Gibson668

That was well played...

If by "well played" you mean they fumbled every single change in the song,
rendering it utterly devoid of drama

Nah, he doesn't mean that because that would be stupid.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: December 1, 2012 14:23

Barnestormer
Just awesome...way better than sunday's performance!!!Here you can get a glimpse of what the Stones would sound if they would go on tour with Taylor next year.But I bet it won't happen.Taylor has already booked an Australian tour on his own for April 2013.
Otherwise my wish for next year would be another Mick Taylor solo album(it's been so long since the brilliant "A Stone's Throw").Hope he'll find a good producer and a record company.Why not a blues record,like Clapton's "Robert Johnson" i.e.

No Australian dates were booked with MT's consent. Just some people trying to railroad him into doing a tour down under, for their own financial gain. He's getting exploited by them.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:06

Awesome Mick Taylor on that second night. Thankx to the persons who are making those videos and sharing them with us.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 1, 2012 16:07

StonesTod
RobertJohnson
The Stones were always a two guitar band. Nowadays they should be a three guitar band.

i'm starting to think of them as britain's answer to lynyrd skynyrd.

Then we need three Taylors I think ...

Posted by: roby ()
Date: December 1, 2012 16:41

FANTASTIC said Mick at the end.

Sure Mick Taylor will miss during Midnight Rambler if he doesn' play in NY in December...

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 1, 2012 17:05

kEITH PLAYING IS BACK

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 1, 2012 18:04

Sounded awesome, with mick, need more Taylor

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 18:30

His Majesty
RollingFreak

@#$%& yes!!! hot smiley

his majesty , when you see us talk about how we love mick taylors guitarwork , are we now preaching to the converted ?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:26

I said some time ago that the idea of Taylor playing on stage with the band made me nervous. If the effort was not made to...well...practice...I thought the experience would be awkward. And I think there is certainly awkardness in these performances, musically and otherwise. Recently I questioned the choice of MR and will stand by that. I would rather hear other songs to showcase Taylor's talent playing with the band, but that may be a matter of taste. I do not think the performances of MR are entirely successful. But having said that I will repeat what a friend said to me: There are a lot of notes in there that I think the band has been missing for many years. It was good to hear them again.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:25

Mick Taylor really makes the difference in the sound, amazing, If he only had played on SFTD...would love to hear Taylor/Richards solo one more time!! And he was really happy to be on stage with the guys, like he didn't want to leave after the song, he wanted to play more, The best guitar player that evening...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:36

flashhh
I'm a huge MT fan, but I think his playing on this number was too loud and too much. Didn't seem to fit to me.

Dont know whats wrong though, maybe it is indeed the interaction between Keith and Taylor, I cant hear Keith on these videos but Taylor is not back but on his way back thats for sure. Much better now but still obvious the BAND including Taylor has not rehearsed. Taylor and Keith used to be oil and gasoline. I blame Keith.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:49

Redhotcarpet
flashhh
I'm a huge MT fan, but I think his playing on this number was too loud and too much. Didn't seem to fit to me.

Dont know whats wrong though, maybe it is indeed the interaction between Keith and Taylor, I cant hear Keith on these videos but Taylor is not back but on his way back thats for sure. Much better now but still obvious the BAND including Taylor has not rehearsed. Taylor and Keith used to be oil and gasoline. I blame Keith.

It's Keith's fault that Taylor is playing too loud and out of sync. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Taylor's performance has improved slightly from Sunday's show but it still sounds like the band is playing in one song and Taylor is playing another. The main issue is that Taylor is still not listening and feeling the different parts of the song. He's tuning into Keith, Ronnie and Charlie better but he's not falling in line with them. He's treating the song as one loooooong solo. Hardly any dips and restraint to focus on just rhythm...it's lead after lead after lead after lead...leaving no space for the song to breathe. The balance is waaaaay off here. Part of the magic of this song is spotlighting Keith and his grooves. Period. But at these 02 shows, Taylor takes all that away. All the spots that usually establish the groove by Keith is overridden with Taylor. The point of this song isn't for Keith to start the song and never be heard from again. Even on the Brussels '73 version you hear Keith emerge in the middle with some strong rhythm and Taylor is backing him up. Then they both go the rhythm together...then Taylor takes it for the slow breakdown (in fact it is this specific spot in the song that really is reserved for showcasing Taylor). Later he gives it back to Keith as the song ends. NONE of this sharing is happening at these shows. At the 02 shows he isn't really counterbalancing the space evenly. He definitely sounds like a guest guitar player on this track instead of working best for the song and integrating himself into it.

Like Sunday, he still sounds like he's trying to cram all his Mick Taylor greatness into this one song. Again, if they gave him just one more song to play on that'd might loosen his grip on Rambler a bit.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:55

"Taylor's performance has improved slightly from Sunday's show but it still sounds like the band is playing in one song and Taylor is playing another. The main issue is that Taylor is still not listening and feeling the different parts of the song. He's tuning into Keith, Ronnie and Charlie better but he's not falling in line with them. He's treating the song as one loooooong solo. Hardly any dips and restraint to focus on just rhythm...it's lead after lead after lead after lead...leaving no space for the song to breathe. The balance is waaaaay off here. Part of the magic of this song is spotlighting Keith and his grooves. Period. But at these 02 shows, Taylor takes all that away. All the spots that usually establish the groove by Keith is overridden with Taylor. The point of this song isn't for Keith to start the song and never be heard from again. Even on the Brussels '73 version you hear Keith emerge in the middle with some strong rhythm and Taylor is backing him up. Then they both go the rhythm together...then Taylor takes it for the slow breakdown (in fact it is this specific spot in the song that really is reserved for showcasing Taylor). Later he gives it back to Keith as the song ends. NONE of this sharing is happening at these shows. At the 02 shows he isn't really counterbalancing the space evenly. He definitely sounds like a guest guitar player on this track instead of working best for the song and integrating himself into it.

Like Sunday, he still sounds like he's trying to cram all his Mick Taylor greatness into this one song. Again, if they gave him just one more song to play on that'd might loosen his grip on Rambler a bit."

This hits the nail on the head, all these people going on about how great MT is, but MT certainly isn't listening to the song or the band, I thought MR was almost wrecked by MT's selfish noodling!

If they didn't rehearse then they are all to blame.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:38

Wonderful to hear yet again.

From You Tube, here is a partial version from far stage left. Shows a lot of the interaction between the players.

And the guitars sound a bit more balanced in this mix--if you like that sort of thing smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 22:41 by smokeydusky.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:57

Wow!!!! That is just awesome!! i got goosebumps watching and listening to this. These guys can still do it!! I had mu doubts. I have to go to Brooklyn!!!!!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:14

The videos don't seem to capture Keith's guitar, which is odd. I could hear it perfectly from where I was (along the rail, outside of the pit). He sounded great. Mick Taylor's playing is a little "busy" for some, and yeah, they do have trouble with the time changes, but that's only apparent to those who have listened to this played live hundreds of times. I still thought it was the clear highlight of the show.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:35

Justin
Redhotcarpet
flashhh

It's Keith's fault that Taylor is playing too loud and out of sync. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Taylor's performance has improved slightly from Sunday's show but it still sounds like the band is playing in one song and Taylor is playing another. The main issue is that Taylor is still not listening and feeling the different parts of the song. He's tuning into Keith, Ronnie and Charlie better but he's not falling in line with them. He's treating the song as one loooooong solo. Hardly any dips and restraint to focus on just rhythm...it's lead after lead after lead after lead...leaving no space for the song to breathe. The balance is waaaaay off here. Part of the magic of this song is spotlighting Keith and his grooves. Period. But at these 02 shows, Taylor takes all that away. All the spots that usually establish the groove by Keith is overridden with Taylor. The point of this song isn't for Keith to start the song and never be heard from again. Even on the Brussels '73 version you hear Keith emerge in the middle with some strong rhythm and Taylor is backing him up. Then they both go the rhythm together...then Taylor takes it for the slow breakdown (in fact it is this specific spot in the song that really is reserved for showcasing Taylor). Later he gives it back to Keith as the song ends. NONE of this sharing is happening at these shows. At the 02 shows he isn't really counterbalancing the space evenly. He definitely sounds like a guest guitar player on this track instead of working best for the song and integrating himself into it.

Like Sunday, he still sounds like he's trying to cram all his Mick Taylor greatness into this one song. Again, if they gave him just one more song to play on that'd might loosen his grip on Rambler a bit.

I was looking for a response that was along my thinking and this best sums it.

But I'll add this. The thing that always rubbed my the wrong way on Brussels was Taylors slide guitar sound that never meshed well to me. I hear it again on this version. It is dominating the song when the best part is the rhythm 3 cord riff that leads up to the middle slow segment of the song. That is what made the 1969 version so good was that pounding riff. Yet all I hear is Taylor playing lead parts over that. Now if all three could sustain that riff for awhile that would make the song brilliant.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:49

I was so exhausted after this number (and Clapton-Wood-Keef a few numbers before) that the rest of the show seemed a little anti-climactic to me. Perhaps casual fans wouldn't feel that way, but for me, it was such an incredible high that the rest of the show couldn't come close to matching it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home