Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: New Led Zepplelin cd barely makes the US top ten
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:56

noughties
This album got 3 out of 6 points
in my local newspaper. I chose to trust it
and not buy it. All the same it got
8 out of 10 points in UNCUT magazine.

I think that's fair "as an album", but as a video, for a fan it's a 10.

Date: December 3, 2012 05:45

Got it! It's killer!

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 3, 2012 22:09

None of their records deserve to have made the top ten. They were rubbish. Robert Plant didn't sing, he shouted. Someone should have given Planty a few Sam Cooke records so he could find out what real singing sounds like. Page was a technically gifted guitarist but a lot of his playing was way over the top.

Page and Plant are overrated as songwriters as well.

"Stairway to Heaven" is a very mediocre song which is ridiculously overhyped.

The only songs of theirs I like are "Trampled Underfoot", "Rain Song" and "Song remains the same".

Thank God the Clash came along shortly afterwards to restore a bit of vitality to the Music after the self indulgent excess of Zeppelin and their followers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-03 22:25 by salty.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 3, 2012 23:31

Led Zeppelin on Letterman tonight.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 3, 2012 23:43

salty
None of their records deserve to have made the top ten. They were rubbish.
The only songs of theirs I like are "Trampled Underfoot", "Rain Song" and "Song remains the same".

So Houses Of The Holy isn´t complete rubbish at least...
Celebration Day is a great release.

Date: December 4, 2012 01:34

salty
None of their records deserve to have made the top ten. They were rubbish. Robert Plant didn't sing, he shouted. Someone should have given Planty a few Sam Cooke records so he could find out what real singing sounds like. Page was a technically gifted guitarist but a lot of his playing was way over the top.

Thank God the Clash came along shortly afterwards to restore a bit of vitality to the Music after the self indulgent excess of Zeppelin and their followers.

i love the clash more than zeppelin but you know whats funny. you say robert plant shouted and then mention the clash. joe strummer was more of a shouter than plant. how can you say plant can't sing?

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 4, 2012 02:11

keefriffhard4life
salty

i love the clash more than zeppelin but you know whats funny. you say robert plant shouted and then mention the clash. joe strummer was more of a shouter than plant. how can you say plant can't sing?

Fair point - Joe wasn't the greatest singer either, but then Joe didn't go around pretending he was a blues singer like Plant did. Joe stuck within his limits. I love the blues and although it is superficially very simple (only 3 chords etc.) to perform it well requires subtlety and nuance. Zep used to just go at these blues standards like a bull at a gate... no finesse, just noisy... give me a break.

Also, the Clash wrote better songs that were powerful and I could relate to. Also, whereas Zep did my head in with pretentious self indulgent half hour long versions of "Dazed and confused", the Clash cut out the crap and represented a return to the immediacy and fun of the early rock in spirit if not in form.

Date: December 4, 2012 02:38

Zep was awesome and will always be. It's just a fact. CELEBRATION DAY is killer. If you don't get Zeppelin then that's fine. Your loss.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 4, 2012 02:43

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Zep was awesome and will always be. It's just a fact. CELEBRATION DAY is killer. If you don't get Zeppelin then that's fine. Your loss.

I agree 100%. To each their own. I love Zeppelin, but if a group gets on your nerves, you're not wrong to feel that way.

I've got a similar dislike for The Doors, and it's funny - I seem to dislike Jim Morrison for similar reasons that you feel about Plant & Zeppelin.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2012 03:17

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Got it! It's killer!

I'll be getting it with the boxing day sales...I've heard this is quite good.

Date: December 4, 2012 05:48

jamesfdouglas
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

I agree 100%. To each their own. I love Zeppelin, but if a group gets on your nerves, you're not wrong to feel that way.

I've got a similar dislike for The Doors, and it's funny - I seem to dislike Jim Morrison for similar reasons that you feel about Plant & Zeppelin.

jim morrison never considered himself a singer though

Date: December 4, 2012 05:53

keefriffhard4life
jamesfdouglas
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

jim morrison never considered himself a singer though

It's just music, not a multi-thousand dollar investment like a automobile or health insurance. I really like The Doors...and sometimes I hate them. I think if you can forget Morrison's ego and take it for what it is they're quite enjoyable and quite good and rocking at times...

...but nothing like Zep.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 5, 2012 01:55

Nope, I actually prefer Zeppelin to The Stones in almost evey way... studio -wise.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:22

The bonus footage of the full rehersal is a full performance on the soundstage, but a single camera shot from where soundboard would be. Without the energy of an audience, it's lame.

Only complaint about the performance DVD is that the camera edits are too quick and distracting. You can't get the feel of a live show when there is an edit every 2 seconds.

Sound quality is excellent.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 28, 2012 01:44

Question to those that have the DVD with the full rehearsal,
...is the song selection the same as the show itself, or is there any variance?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 28, 2012 06:41

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

I haven't seen Celebration Day, and after the geriatric performance by Cream on their reunion DVD, I'm a little wary. But I agree that Led Zeppelin was fantastic. I saw them in early 70 and they were like an explosion on stage. Saw them again in '77 and Plant's voice was gone, but man I could watch Bonham and Page lock in tight all night long.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 06:45

BluzDude
Question to those that have the DVD with the full rehearsal,
...is the song selection the same as the show itself, or is there any variance?

It's exactly the same.

Date: December 28, 2012 06:48

24FPS
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

I haven't seen Celebration Day, and after the geriatric performance by Cream on their reunion DVD, I'm a little wary. But I agree that Led Zeppelin was fantastic. I saw them in early 70 and they were like an explosion on stage. Saw them again in '77 and Plant's voice was gone, but man I could watch Bonham and Page lock in tight all night long.

i thought cream sounded great on the royal albert hall dvd

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 28, 2012 07:56

keefriffhard4life
24FPS
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Indeed, Cream actually played TOGETHER on the RAH DVD, instead of all three soloing at the same time with each not paying attention to what the other two are doing. Their 2005 reunion shows were different from in their heyday, but didn't deserve the slagging they got in some circles.

Date: December 28, 2012 08:06

ab
keefriffhard4life
24FPS
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Indeed, Cream actually played TOGETHER on the RAH DVD, instead of all three soloing at the same time with each not paying attention to what the other two are doing. Their 2005 reunion shows were different from in their heyday, but didn't deserve the slagging they got in some circles.

some of the slagging was just plain dumb. i saw people complaining that clapton wasn't using the same guitar strings and bruce had a fretless bass

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 28, 2012 19:34

i got the dvd /cd deuxe edition also with the full dress rehearsel dvd .awesome stuff.get out and buy this set.you can order from bestbuy.com if it's not in your local best buy.only takes a few days in the mail(buy the way have not listened to the cd yet as i have seen the dvd ,got to check out the dress rehearsel dvd)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 28, 2012 21:19

James Kirk wrote: «I was really surprised that the new live cd by Led Zeppelin barely made the top ten in the United States. It debuted at #9. I was hoping for a much stronger debut considering it was the first "new" material from LZ in decades».

I wasn’t surprised, James, because in the last years the US album market seems to be turned towards to other kinds of music. Many pop, country, and hip-hop artists (some of them completely unknown in the rest of the planet!) have the big majority of the marketing lights on their side, while rock music (with the relative exception of some “local rock heroes’’, maybe) seems to be “ostracized”.

“Celebration Day” sells well in the rest of the planet. Now it’s at #7 of the global chart (www. mediatraffic. gr) on it’s fourth week. “Grrr!” has very good global sales too (#9 on it’s 5th week), while in the US sells very poorly. The same happened with “ABB” sales…

That’s the album market, of course. The “live”, “event” market it’s probably a different story…

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home