Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones will pay a fine of £200,000 for exceeding time limit
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 28, 2012 00:06

Legendary rockers Rolling Stones have been slapped with a fine of 200,000 pounds after their '50 and Counting' concert in London exceeded the time limit by 35 minutes.

Performed at the O2 Arena in the city on Sunday to rave reviews, it was the first of five concerts to mark the 50th anniversary of the British rock band, reported Contactmusic.

While the show was supposed to end at 10.30pm, the demand of 20,000 screaming fans for more songs from the greats - Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts - meant the show went on till way past the time limit, violating local council rules.

Bernard Doherty, the Rolling Stones agent said, "It means a big fine - but the guys just do their thing. There wasn't a janitor standing there, jangling his keys, saying. 'I want to go home."

The band will perform one more concert in London on November 29 before moving on for another one in New York on December 8 and two in New Jersey on December 13 and 15.

That is why they didn't play Lady Jane and Satisfaction, the fine would be more than £200,000.

[www.business-standard.com]

digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a441070/the-rolling-stones-face-gbp200k-fine-for-overrun-o2-gig.html

[lci.tf1.fr]

Benjamin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 00:19 by benstones.

Re: The Rolling Stones will pay a fine of £200,000 for exceeding time limit
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 28, 2012 00:27

Well, the authorities pulled the plug out on Boss earlier this year for breaking the curfew. The fine isn't that bad after all. With these ticket prices they'll pay it with no problems...

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: November 28, 2012 00:37

They should do Satisfaction anyway. Thursday show they should do the same. They are The Rolling Stones not Justin Biber and they do what they want.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 00:45

Has there always been a concert curfew in London or this a new thing?

Date: November 28, 2012 05:36

big4
Has there always been a concert curfew in London or this a new thing?

I don't think it is something new. When there is an event in Stade de France, it has to finish before the last RER (train).

Benjamin.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 28, 2012 05:43

Dammit Stones...if you don't start playing by the rules we'll raid Redlands.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:07

Looks like a prompt 8pm start is in order for Thursday.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:50

11:00 for concerts and bar too?
Man, that is as early as any city I have ever heard of.

Date: November 28, 2012 09:07

Max'sKansasCity
11:00 for concerts and bar too?
Man, that is as early as any city I have ever heard of.

Yes it's very early, maybe because the O2 is far away from the city center. Some people lost the connection to go back to the hotel/house (I read that on the forum).

Benjamin.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:35

This is ridiculous. London on it's way back to a one-horse-town. A subway that never works as it should anyway, that could not be the real reason for this embarrassing shit which concerns the band AND the fans. Both don't seem to be of any interest to the city of London, except of the money spent. Sir Mick has to stop early. No news, as they did the same to Sir Paul earlier this year.

They are lucky, that it was such a great gig. But I'll never go to London again except for the Stones. It's expensive, dirty and nothing seems to work as it should. The worst food I know.

Interesting, what would have happened some decades ago, if they had to stop the performance (too) early. But that was the Rock'n'Roll days...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 14:31 by micawber.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:45

Strange fines to issue .... I understand it better if they had pissed down any gas station again....

2 1 2 0

Date: November 28, 2012 11:54

The tubes run later on Thursday so hopefully not such a drama.....

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:34

They won't pay anything...the promoter will.

Good.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:46

Bliss
They won't pay anything...the promoter will.

Good.

Bad. Because it means more expensive tickets in the future.

Posted by: salty ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:24

Is this time limit a new thing?

I read the well publicised incident the other month where Springsteen and McCartney had the plug pulled on them but both of these artists have performed in London on many occasions going back decades and both are renowned for doing long shows, but I have never heard of something like this happening before to them or any other big name artist.

Now we hear the Stones had to cut their setlist short but have been fined nonetheless.

Has some new law been passed?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:39

there is a curfew for live events.

during wimbledon andy murrays game ran over the 11pm curfew by 2 mins.

it would be the final game of the match if andy could serve it out, so the organizers let the game start, but it ran over, dont know if the all england club got hit with a fine for it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:40

thrak
They should do Satisfaction anyway. Thursday show they should do the same. They are The Rolling Stones not Justin Biber and they do what they want.

What the $%&* does any of this have to do with Justin Bieber?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: salty ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:44

Yes I wonder - considering they got fined anyway they might as well have carried on and done Satisfaction or would the plug have been pulled halfway through like it was for Macca and Bruce?

Date: November 28, 2012 20:42

We have gone from very late shows where drunk people happily destroyed the venue to paying fines because of finishing a bit late...

Posted by: steini ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:15

The British sure know how to give the Stones a warm velcome. It´s now their anniversary and they are not allowed to play loud music indoors after 11 a clock or semething for theirs fans.

But what can a richs boys do in a sleepy London town?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:45

£200,000! Good grief! Time to move to the south of France.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:02

Everyone cries about too many warhorses. then they cry when they DON'T PLAY A WARHORSE! LOL

Date: November 29, 2012 05:15

How can a city impose a fine on a INDOOR venue? What kind of stupid shit is that!? That is beyond absurd. How lame. WAY TO GO LONDON.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:59

Really lame! Come on London put up for your prodigal sons who have returned, and who have given you millions in tax revenue!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:17

that fine is pocket change for them,seem like the press made the fuss and the stones didn't care to pay it because they were more concerned with putting on a great show.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 14:56

This sounds more than strange. Isn't it possible, that this is just a PR thing, that The Stones will pay 200.000 because they wanted to please the fans so much? (I don't suggest that The Stones must be involved in creating this rumour)

I mean this kind of thing is common (and understandable in a way) if it is an out-door gig close to a residential area - like this summer with The Boss in Hydepark. But this was indoors, the noise outside such an arena is minimal and it is true that it has been a couple of years since I was in the Millenium Dome (called that way back then), but I don't remember any residential area anywhere close. So what would that fine be for? I mean if you get a fine, you have to violate some law or at least some rules, you can not get a fine because a concert that doesn't disturb anyone didn't end on time or that it colided with the last subway...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 14:59 by Happy24.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 15:18

thrak

they should do lady jane in the first place, lol

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: November 29, 2012 15:48

"While the show was supposed to end at 10.30pm, the demand of 20,000 screaming fans for more songs from the greats - Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts - meant the show went on till way past the time limit, violating local council rules."

What a great bit of publicity from the Stones. If we didn't know better, then reading that, the band were ready to finish 35 minutes earlier but just kept playing because the screaming fans demanded more!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Not really the truth eh?

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 29, 2012 16:22

The curfew exists, (yes, indoors too), for the practical reason of getting 20,000 people home via one tube station with one line. It could be later if the tube ran later, that is an ongoing argument in London. Tubes start running at 5 in the morning or something, they run till 1 in the morning 6 days a week. The downtime is required for maintenance. I'm not sure why they close earlier on a Sunday, it's almost certainly a throwback to the times when almost nothing opened on a Sunday, (only 30 or so years ago in the UK), and the highly left wing RMT tube staff union probably refuse to change that. The Stones were supposed to come on at 8 and if they had done they could have done the full set. (And still been fined for a 10 minute overrun!)

Things weren't always so regulated and I remember being unable to get home several times back in the 70s. Of course the constant stream of regulations covering just about everything gets me down too but these curfews are not at the top of my list when it comes to unnecessary interference.

Just as an example of the other extreme I read that Madonna didn't take the stage until 11.30 in Miami recently meaning the show ended gone 1.30. The arena was half empty way before the end, hundreds demanded a refund. Neither did she get the participation and enthusiasm she expected becuase people were so tired and pissed off from waiting around for hours. Thank God the Stones are more professional than that. Just a tiny bit more professionalism and we would have got a 25 song set. I'm fairly confident that tonights audience will.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 29, 2012 16:32

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WAY TO GO LONDON.

I thought that was OHIO...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home