Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

WTF is up with special guests
Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:54

Dont the stones realize that at these prices THEY are the only special guest anyone wants to see?

People like Mary j, Jeff beck, xtina, jack white are a waste of time and detract from the main event...they take away value, they don't add it.

Can someone clue the boys in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 01:55 by Cineplexed.

Re: WTF is up with special guests
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:01

Cineplexed
Dont the stones realize that at these prices THEY are the only special guest anyone wants to see?

People like Mary j, Jeff beck, xtina, jack white are a waste of time and detract from the main event...they take away value, they don't add it.

I'm not one for special guests myself, as they tend to slow the pacing of the main show. However, Jeff Beck did actually audition for The Stones in the mid-70s, or at least was on the short list to replace Mick Taylor, so I think that merits him the designation of extra special guest. Also, unlike the others you mentioned, Mick has actually worked and recorded with Jeff Beck before. So he's extra special and is always a welcome guest. Unlike the others you mentioned.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:06

You are right. The only special guests that made any sense were Bill and Mick T. Maybe they called in Mary J because Lisa had added to much weight? Sir Paul would have made some sense though, especially since they started out with a Lennon/McCartney song. Maybe he will be on for Thursday?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:07

Whether or not it adds or detracts from the value of the show is up to the individual. I think the special guests were pretty tame last night. When you think about Mary J. Blige, well Lisa was just going to sing that part anyway, so it really has no effect on the show. It's not like Mick normally would have sang that by himself. Jeff is a longtime friend of the band, and I don't think having him play guitar on one song really detracts either. And of course I don't think anybody minded Bill and Mick.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:14

<<Maybe they called in Mary J because Lisa had added to much weight?>

What a bizarre theory, not to say nonsensical - like as if Mary J is sylph-like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:30 by Beast.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:19

I did not know anything bout Mary J. Blige, couldnt have cared less... but she certainly gets a BIG DOUBLE thumbs upTHUMBS-UPthumbs up from me for what she did with Gimme Shelter, awesome version of that song last night... GOOD FOR YOU MARY J!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:28 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:22

Up to me, I'd only have Wyman and Taylor.

Who I'd like to see guest?
-Jack White
-Chuck Berry
-Lady GaGa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:24 by MingSubu.

Posted by: salty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:25

I agree - better off without the guests.

It was good to see Mick Taylor & Bill, but I don't regard them as guests - they are genuine Stones.

I am not a fan of guest collaborations generally. I had this Tony Bennett CD once with all duets with guest stars, but, to be honest, I didn't like it - I would have much rather have heard Tony on his own.

I believe Tony has since done a follow up "Duets 2" but I won't be buying this one - when I buy a Tony Bennett CD I want to hear Tony, not Lady Gaga! The same principle applies with the guests on the Stones gigs.

The only guest/collaborations I liked were the Muddy Waters/Checkerboard Lounge set, but that was more the Stones gatecrashing on Muddy's gig and when Bill and Charlie played on Howlin Wolf's London Sessions. These worked because the Stones music was so strongly rooted in the Chicago blues style that these artists pioneered. Also, Muddy & Wolf are true legends - no offense but Mary J and Dave Matthews and Christina Aguilera do not compare.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:30

Cineplexed

You were there?

No?

The guests last night took nothing away from the show - they were all excellent.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:40

Sure Beast, maybe a farfetched theory. What I meant was that that is Lisa's spot. She could have done it just as well. There is no need to call in someone else, especially not someone with very little Stones connotation, to do her part. It doesn't add much.

Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:55

Gazza I've been to, listened to, watched enough shows ( including the good videos from last night) to know that the guests add nothing. If they didn't have them you would never blink or ask for a dollar back.

And Lisa does as good a job or better on GS than Mary J did so what's the real value add?

I hope they nix em all ( except former stones) for Brooklyn and Newark.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:12

As far as I was aware the Stones were onstage doing what they would normally do while these 'guests' were sharing their stage.

So how that detracts from the main event or takes away 'value' is beyond me.

In some examples in the past it certainly has (Dave Matthews on Memory Motel for example) but last night - from the vantage point of actually having been there - they most definitely didn't.

It was a special event as opposed to a regular show and Stones' 'special event' shows have generally featured guest performers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 03:14 by Gazza.

-
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 03:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:19

stonesnow
Cineplexed

I'm not one for special guests myself, as they tend to slow the pacing of the main show. However, Jeff Beck did actually audition for The Stones in the mid-70s, or at least was on the short list to replace Mick Taylor, so I think that merits him the designation of extra special guest. Also, unlike the others you mentioned, Mick has actually worked and recorded with Jeff Beck before. So he's extra special and is always a welcome guest. Unlike the others you mentioned.

....well, they should invite Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins then too....and all the bass players who auditioned in 1993 also.....Jeff Becks' link to the Stones is slight at best...guess Jimmy Page wasn't available...being on a short list 38 years ago hardly merits much attention...and lets leave the jagger solo stuff out of it--YUCK!....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:27

Gazza
As far as I was aware the Stones were onstage doing what they would normally do while these 'guests' were sharing their stage.

So how that detracts from the main event or takes away 'value' is beyond me.

In some examples in the past it certainly has (Dave Matthews on Memory Motel for example) but last night - from the vantage point of actually having been there - they most definitely didn't.

It was a special event as opposed to a regular show and Stones' 'special event' shows have generally featured guest performers.

Plus what I think I'm feeling as I watched these videos--which I think you probably felt as you were actually there--the guests worked so much better this time because frankly, the Stones were playing their asses off. The guests usually come on stage, do their thing, and then leave...it's usually forced, very little sparks between them and the band and often times a snooze. Sure, it could be a distraction in that context but last night it looked as though the Stones were kicked up a notch with every guest that came on.

The guest spots don't work when we have a cruise control/coasting band. Only then do the guests become a distraction because we're so desperate to see the Stones play by themselves without anyone bothering them. Last night, we have a confident band who is barely bothered by the guests and in facts ADDS something to each performance which is why it worked so well last night. The Stones created their own momentum without the help of the guests.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:47

What would a good party be without special guests? Although I could have done without Mary JB. MT deserves some more Stones stage time and Jeff Beck is welcome on stage as far as I'm concerned. Bill is a bit more than a special guest, imho. Just keep Clapton off this time around and I'll be fine. peace

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:07

lunar!!!
stonesnow
Cineplexed

....well, they should invite Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins then too....and all the bass players who auditioned in 1993 also.....Jeff Becks' link to the Stones is slight at best...guess Jimmy Page wasn't available...being on a short list 38 years ago hardly merits much attention...and lets leave the jagger solo stuff out of it--YUCK!....

True, "being on a short list 38 years ago hardly merits much attention", but the fact of the matter is that everyone in the 02 audience knows who Jeff Beck is, unlike for instance Howie Mandel and Wayne Perkins and all the bass players who auditioned in 1993. The whole purpose of having special guests to begin with is to augment the show with names the audience is familiar with. Also, you can't "leave the jagger solo stuff out of it" when Jagger himself is solely responsible for inviting the special guests.

Caption: Comedian Howie Mandel began his career as a contributing guitarist on the Black and Blue sessions. He didn't pass the audition.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:23

It's not that Jeff Beck was on the "short list 38 years ago". He's a friend of the band. What is the first album in Ronnie's professional discography? Truth, by The Jeff Beck Group. Who played guitar on Mick's first solo album? Jeff Beck. He also played guitar for Mick on SNL. It's not like Jeff Beck is the flavor of the month and they snatched him up to be a guest, he's their buddy. And it's their 50th Anniversary party, and they can bring a buddy up on stage if they want.

When our bands play their 50th Anniversary shows we can choose whether or not to have guests.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:31

I like the idea of special guests. MJB did a great job on Gimme Shelter. The Stones have been having guests on stage for years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home