Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why Weren't Taylor and Wyman Onstage At The Same Time?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2012 10:55

Max'sKansasCity
I dont see or hear where Wyman added anything to Honky Tonk women... but I could be wrong, it is just a youtube crap video. If Wyman wanted to be in the band he shopuldnt have quit.... and if he quit, then people should let him go.

He added swing! Especially during the chorus the lines of Wyman are very melodic and full of swing, whereas Darryl plays straight with more drive.

Mathijs

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:56

tomk
tatters
71Tele
Reasonable question. Could have been solved by Wyman playing on MR or Taylor playing on HTW.

Could have been solved any number of ways. I think it just comes down to Mick not wanting to celebrate a version of the band that no longer exists at the expense of the current lineup.

Probably. Sometimes I think Jagger is really clueless about some things. Any more than 2 for Bill and one from MT would have made it more nostalgia than what he would like, which is utter nonsense. Plus he still loves a gunslinger guitarist, hence Beck, who had no business being there. And why Bill wasn't on Miss You is a head-scratcher.

Yeah, I don't know what Mick's fascination with Jeff Beck is. Every time he brings him in it's like he's saying, "This is a real guitar player. Much better than the guys in my group." Even if it's true, it's still very insulting to Keith and Ronnie and they shouldn't have to put up with it.

As far as Mick wanting to avoid appearing too nostalgic, yeah, it is utter nonsense because this show is nothing if not nostalgic. Of the 23 songs they performed, only three were written in the last 35 years! That's something I would have previously expected only from the Beach Boys. The setlist shows that Mick has come to accept that the Taylor era represents a peak that passed forty years ago, so why not celebrate it? He's already done so with the release of Ladies and Gentlemen and Brussels, so why not give the people what they want? Jagger-Richards-Taylor-Wyman-Watts, onstage together for the first time since 1973. Thursday, maybe?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:22 by tatters.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:49

to all those slagging off quitters
keith quit taking heroin
ronnie quit smack and booze
mj quit pretending jerry was his wife
the stones quit making quality albums years ago.
does that make them pussy losers in your eyes ?
quitting isn't necessarily a bad thing.
sometimes quitting is the right thing to do and to carry on blindly regardless is the dumb ass thing to do.
i think i slipped up with my third example but all the same...wasn't mt knee deep in smack when he left ? we'd all like the stones more and argue less if they'd quit after exile. would you call them quitters or admire them all the more for knowing when to stop ?
i need to quit drinking this bottle of wine before i end up on tequila.
aw man you're a quitter.
oh and to get on topic shame wyman and taylor couldn't have played on midnight rambler together with the others. i am beginning to think that that song is the Stones' finest moment.
Of course that was largely down to Brian's contribution.....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:00

They all quit the stones during the mid 80's. The band broke up, they just didn't anounce is as such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 03:03 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:19

klrkcr
Is there any chance that Bill and Mick T may be more involved in the next show,or is it to remain the same as this one?

They'll both be playing on Thursday.

mickjagger1009

Maybe it was to give them each their own spot... give each the spot light and credit they deserve. A thank you just to Bill and a thank you just Mick Taylor... without the other's return taking anything away.

I think this is probably right. Still, it would have been nice to have got them both on one song together at the end and taking the final bow with the rest. Didnt really expect either to happen, though.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:22

tatters
tomk
tatters
71Tele
Reasonable question. Could have been solved by Wyman playing on MR or Taylor playing on HTW.

Could have been solved any number of ways. I think it just comes down to Mick not wanting to celebrate a version of the band that no longer exists at the expense of the current lineup.

Probably. Sometimes I think Jagger is really clueless about some things. Any more than 2 for Bill and one from MT would have made it more nostalgia than what he would like, which is utter nonsense. Plus he still loves a gunslinger guitarist, hence Beck, who had no business being there. And why Bill wasn't on Miss You is a head-scratcher.

Yeah, I don't know what Mick's fascination with Jeff Beck is. Every time he brings him in it's like he's saying, "This is a real guitar player. Much better than the guys in my group." Even if it's true, it's still very insulting to Keith and Ronnie and they shouldn't have to put up with it.

As far as Mick wanting to avoid appearing too nostalgic, yeah, it is utter nonsense because this show is nothing if not nostalgic. Of the 23 songs they performed, only three were written in the last 35 years! That's something I would have previously expected only from the Beach Boys. The setlist shows that Mick has come to accept that the Taylor era represents a peak that passed forty years ago, so why not celebrate it? He's already done so with the release of Ladies and Gentlemen and Brussels, so why not give the people what they want? Jagger-Richards-Taylor-Wyman-Watts, onstage together for the first time since 1973. Thursday, maybe?

excellent comments.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:43

tatters
Of the 23 songs they performed, only three were written in the last 35 years!

I think it's six songs you mean.

Out of Control
Miss You
B4 they Make me Run
Start Me up
Doom & Gloom
One More Shot

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:46

Mathijs
I think Jagger was afraid it all would be a tad too shaky without Darryl on the bass. Darryl is, even if you don't like it, the glue that holds it together, and has replaced Richards as driving force. Wyman follows Keith, where Darryl pushes Keith. But Wyman could have played on Rambler, I don't see a problem there. Just as Taylor could have also played on ADTL.

Mathijs

I prefer the old glue. smoking smiley

Date: November 27, 2012 06:48

three16
tatters

Out of Control
Miss You
B4 they Make me Run
Start Me up
Doom & Gloom
One More Shot

1977 was 35 years ago. Out Of Control, Doom And Gloom, and One More Shot were the only songs they played that were written after 1977.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 07:02 by tatters.

-
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:48

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 06:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:44

tatters
three16
tatters

Out of Control
Miss You
B4 they Make me Run
Start Me up
Doom & Gloom
One More Shot

1977 was 35 years ago. Out Of Control, Doom And Gloom, and One More Shot were the only songs they played that were written after 1977.

Okay, never mind then. I think it's cool though that they performed those six songs from records realeased in the last 35 years. They even gave a node to 1976 with Cherry Oh Berry as the audience left. I don't know when it was written though.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:58

Cherry wasn't written by them was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 08:59 by Gibson668.

Date: November 27, 2012 16:31

three16
tatters
three16
tatters

Out of Control
Miss You
B4 they Make me Run
Start Me up
Doom & Gloom
One More Shot

Okay, never mind then. I think it's cool though that they performed those six songs from records realeased in the last 35 years. They even gave a node to 1976 with Cherry Oh Berry as the audience left. I don't know when it was written though.

The point is, they're an oldies act, plain and simple. The six albums they released between 1983 and 2005 were represented by exactly one song. That's Beach Boys stuff. And, like the BBs did on their 50th anniversary tour, they should bring back all the former members, and maybe even pay tribute to the deceased one(s).

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:25

I tend to agree with the line that the band wanted each to get their due so that is why they played seperately.
And as for the final bow, who knows? Maybe they left right after their songs?

Date: November 27, 2012 18:53

tatters
three16
tatters
three16
tatters

Out of Control
Miss You
B4 they Make me Run
Start Me up
Doom & Gloom
One More Shot

The point is, they're an oldies act, plain and simple. The six albums they released between 1983 and 2005 were represented by exactly one song. That's Beach Boys stuff. And, like the BBs did on their 50th anniversary tour, they should bring back all the former members, and maybe even pay tribute to the deceased one(s).

The plain and simple point you're trying to make is confusing. I thought we were discussing six songs. Now it's six albums during a 22 year isolated period.
Brian Jones pictures were shown on the screen behind them. I bet it drives the band a bit crazy trying to please every indidvidual in one show or even 5. They probably just wind up saying screw it - let's play what we want to, like a rock & roll band with a real attitude.

Posted by: Dayokay ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:21

Isn't it possible that they were all going to join in during Satisfaction, but the song got canned because of the time?

Date: November 28, 2012 01:12

Dayokay
Isn't it possible that they were all going to join in during Satisfaction, but the song got canned because of the time?

It is possible, and crazy beyond belief if it's true. "Okay, Is everybody ready to make a little rock and roll history? .... wait a minute .... oh, dear .... would you look at the time .... we'll have to try this another night."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 01:36 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:14

I don't think Mick J. wants the whole 1969-74 band onstage at one time. Obviously, or it would have been done. Wyman and Taylor were not even invited for the post-gig bow. Shameful, if you ask me.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:00

I was baffled by Mick not having MT and Bill on the stage at the same time. I also figured they'd be brought back for the last 1 or 2 songs.

For some reason Mick did not want it that way. We'll see what happens on Thursday. If it's a repeat of Sunday then I bet niether will be at the US shows.

I hope the Pay Per View doesn't haev a bunch of Blooters as "Special Guests"

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 28, 2012 06:12

We can all wish to capture the glory of 1969-1974 but that is history. Its on film and record and will never be forgotten bit to quote Black Limousine those dreams are gone, locked away and never seen. Let's celebrate how well the current band played Sunday night. Unfortunately Bill has moved on. It's great to see him back out on stage as a guest but he decided he'd had enough in 1992 and left. i would not call him a quitter he was 58 at the time and he played through te massive 1989-90 mega tour and cashed in. As he was quoted as saying in CH we'd done it all. Bill does not like to fly and has stated he does not like playing to click tracks etc. I can't say as I blame Bill for leaving. Mick Taylor seems to have left because of a drug problem. I used to call him the dumbest man in rock and roll but as I've gotten older and hopefully a little wiser I think that MT might not be with us today had he stayed. Let's welcome them back as guests and be happy that they've been able to join in. Bill Wyman in 76 years old I don;t think he is going to go back to the Rolling Stones!! MT has been gone for 38 years and they have Ronnie who is playing very well right now. Let's stop dreaming and for that matter I beleive that we will get a tour in 2013 and then that will be it unless they do some one offs but this can not go on forever.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:30

tatters
tomk
tatters
71Tele

I couldn't agree more with your take on Mick's Beck infatuation. I've thought that myself. But i don't think ron&keith are insulted by jeff beck or they wouldn't let him onstage with them. I mean, keith definately has a say about who he'll allow onstage to play guitar with the stones. As good as Jeff Beck is on guitar, he comes across as somewhat ego free. So for a guy with an ego like mick, that just means jeff isn't trying to occupy the spotlight while mick is singing. All the more reason for mick to like him. Where as keith&ron probably just consider him a friend who happens to be a brilliant technician yet really has no hits of his own. Keith probably figures Jeff's fingers can move alot faster, but his still moved fast enough to write a truckload of hit songs and play extremely memorable rhythm to them.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:38

Taylor should do the slide lead on All down the Line,Sway, Heartbreaker. Wyman on Miss You and whatever else he wants to play on.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 28, 2012 08:16

Shantipole
I tend to agree with the line that the band wanted each to get their due so that is why they played seperately.
And as for the final bow, who knows? Maybe they left right after their songs?

They were both around in the VIP area down the front of 112 until very late in the show - Bill's family were there. I wouldn't be surprised if Dayokay is right, and there was supposed to be a big closing jam on Satisfaction. Maybe we'll find out on Thursday.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 28, 2012 08:18

tatters
71Tele

Right on.

Date: November 28, 2012 09:04

slew
We can all wish to capture the glory of 1969-1974 but that is history. Its on film and record and will never be forgotten bit to quote Black Limousine those dreams are gone, locked away and never seen. Let's celebrate how well the current band played Sunday night. Unfortunately Bill has moved on. It's great to see him back out on stage as a guest but he decided he'd had enough in 1992 and left. i would not call him a quitter he was 58 at the time and he played through te massive 1989-90 mega tour and cashed in. As he was quoted as saying in CH we'd done it all. Bill does not like to fly and has stated he does not like playing to click tracks etc. I can't say as I blame Bill for leaving. Mick Taylor seems to have left because of a drug problem. I used to call him the dumbest man in rock and roll but as I've gotten older and hopefully a little wiser I think that MT might not be with us today had he stayed. Let's welcome them back as guests and be happy that they've been able to join in. Bill Wyman in 76 years old I don;t think he is going to go back to the Rolling Stones!! MT has been gone for 38 years and they have Ronnie who is playing very well right now. Let's stop dreaming and for that matter I beleive that we will get a tour in 2013 and then that will be it unless they do some one offs but this can not go on forever.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. And I'll add that we did get to hear and see the 1975-1990 touring band on stage together for a couple songs. Taylor may have gotten more playing time than Wyman did anyway. Over twelve minutes. Bill's two songs combined I think was 10 minutes or under. I think we will get a studio album as well in 2013 and probably around 10 to 15 additional shows if we are lucky. I remember them saying when they reach this marker that they would perform more often but very short tours. I think they want the 50 year thing to pass. Release another studio album this spring at 51 years and perform short mini tours until they're 52 years old. At this point if they are still going, they will for the first time become a respected nostalgia band and unofficially retire but not fade away. lol

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 28, 2012 09:33

I think Bill did this for his family. He wanted his children to see him up there with the thing that made him famous. It would be fantastic if he traveled to the States for the PPV show, but I don't expect it. I'd much rather he contribute to some studio cuts, but that may be asking too much. Who knows? Maybe being with his old mates made him a little sentimental for the boys.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home