Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith Richards Review from the 02
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:57

Well, I've been supporting Keith on this board for the past couple years; through his injuries, through his self imposed rehab, and throught the rumors of his demise and how he "can't pay the guitar" any longer.

I'm looking forward to know from those who were there if my posts we're in vain, or if my gut, and some info I'd been passed from those watching him play in the past year, was accurate?

He obviously is playing straight, so I'm interested in the effect of that for the first time since the mid 60s.

His fingers looked pretty messed up, so I'm interested in how he sounded technically.

He had brain surgery, and while everyone says he is completely recovered, how was his timing?

He's almost 70, does his playing seem on par compared to otehrs as they've aged?

His relationship with Mick has been strained at best, so how did that play out on stage?

Looking for someone who was there to spill the beans...

Re: Keith Richards Review from the 02
Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:09

Keith was really focused on his playing. Best I've heard him since before Bigger Bang. Solo on SFTD was pretty sharp. There was no Blondie from what I could see... wonder whether that in itself is a sign of an improvement in Keith's playing?

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:05

keith was brilliant and the guitars were louder and ronnie played his part the whole band were on fire.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:26

With those ticket prices I'm pretty sure he "can pay the guitar"! Looking forward to seeing them in Brooklyn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 15:00 by ohotos.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:50

I just watched a bunch of the video's and I thought he sounded good, not in full tour mode yet, but good, especially for a guy closing in on 70. He seems a bit reserved, maybe due to the whole Mick drama thing, but all in all I thought Keith and the band sounded tight. I like how in some songs the guitars were louder, and Ronnie also sounded good.

Loved how he stalked Beck in the beginning of Going Down, like to say "this is my turf".

The Chuck lick in IORR was good, and I thought his contribution, even though minimal to D&G was good.

Where is the Rambler Video??!!

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 26, 2012 07:04

I was unfamilair with the "goin down" tune that Jeff Beck joined the stones for, so i checked youtube.
I found keith playing the lead on it in 1992. I think keith sounds pretty darn good here:

Not a million notes like beck, but a good meaningful economy to the playing.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: November 26, 2012 07:26

his solo on Sympathy was great!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 26, 2012 07:58

arthritis
I was unfamilair with the "goin down" tune that Jeff Beck joined the stones for, so i checked youtube.
I found keith playing the lead on it in 1992. I think keith sounds pretty darn good here:

Not a million notes like beck, but a good meaningful economy to the playing.

COOL CLIP!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 26, 2012 08:28

I thought he was more than reserved on "Going Down," or less -- kind of out of it, though he did take a decent solo, better than ron's actually.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: November 26, 2012 08:47

I can definitely at times see how Keith has slowed down. His fingers look pretty messed up. Perhaps he can get them fixed? They look like they have big bumps on them at the joints.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:35

I watched Keith a lot last night.

At the start he seemed almost nervous - well it was the first gig of "the tour". they are always a bit rusty.

Not moving much; playing the rhythm. Concentrating. Playing well but constrained

Someone was in the wrong key at the start of Cloud - not sure who: could have been Keith, Ronnie or even Chuck.

Somewhere in the middle it was as if the old confidence, posing, playing all came back. Suddenly some great riffs, licks, solos, moving, posing, even running around.

Singing was very good - almost all the words, and playing guitar as well on Happy and BTMRR. some nice, even naughty transitions - making Charlie wait for the final speed-up in Rambler with a wicked smile on his face

Looked tired at the end - this was over a 2.5 hour set! when was the last time that happened? Knebworth or 1982 - we were all 30 years younger. I couldn't do that and I'm 14 years younger.

Overall - great to see and hear. No questions left to be answered. On form, rocking and rolling.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:50

If the youtube clips are anything to go by, his playing (compared to 2007) has improved massively.

Posted by: rockenrohl ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:10

Best Keef I've seen in more than a decade. He really got his shit together. Focused, not trying to do too much (Ronnie had a lot to do and he did it very well), playing his killer riffs and sounding great. Damn, I still can't stop grinning, it was worth every cent.

Turning round, turning round
I should have known it was a one horse town

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:27

After last night, all the naysayers can take a big running jump. All the guitar playing was very focused and both Keith and Ronnie did a fantastic job. Mick was the most amazingly driven bundle of energy and Charlie was loving it - full of smiles. It was all wonderful to hear and behold.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:51

rockenrohl
Best Keef I've seen in more than a decade. He really got his shit together. Focused, not trying to do too much (Ronnie had a lot to do and he did it very well), playing his killer riffs and sounding great. Damn, I still can't stop grinning, it was worth every cent.

Completely agree. The Stones just ain't the Stones without Keith being on form and make no mistake this was the best form I've seen him in for a very long time.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 26, 2012 13:07

Beast
After last night, all the naysayers can take a big running jump. All the guitar playing was very focused and both Keith and Ronnie did a fantastic job. Mick was the most amazingly driven bundle of energy and Charlie was loving it - full of smiles. It was all wonderful to hear and behold.

I couldn't agree more!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 26, 2012 13:47

ultimaterocker
his solo on Sympathy was great!

Did he finally play it in the right key?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 26, 2012 13:49

Keith wasn't messing about for this gig.

He really got his act together.

His solo in HTW was nearly perfect.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 26, 2012 13:54

Beast
After last night, all the naysayers can take a big running jump.

It's good if Keith has returned to form. But there was a good reason for the criticism of Keith's guitarplaying in 2006/2007, no wonder people were "naysayers" after that run of shows. If you said "yes" all the time, then I don't know what to say....

From what I can hear from the clips posted, Keith seems to be in better shape now. WHo could have guessed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 13:56 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 26, 2012 13:57

There is ample evidence for people doubting Keith's ability.

I am staggered at just how he managed to pull it around.

His playing was a mess (or kept very simple) everytime he popped up in the last couple of years.

He's been in the guitar gym.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:00

First let me say, Ronnie was great, which on the last tour meant he would be carrying the guitars, but Ronnie didn't need to carry the guitars as Keith was putting in a shift also.
Keith was focused. Sharp, not lazy.
The telling part for me was in his slot, Happy and BTMMR, no guitar hanging around his waist not being played, he was actually playing AND singing.
He was playing the songs, the actual chords and licks and not trying to play chuck berry licks over every song smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:03

Erik_Snow
Beast

It's good if Keith has returned to form. But there was a good reason for the criticism of Keith's guitarplaying in 2006/2007, no wonder people were "naysayers" after that run of shows. If you said "yes" all the time, then I don't know what to say....

From what I can hear from the clips posted, Keith seems to be in better shape now. WHo could have guessed?

thumbs up

Keith was fantastic yesterday night compared with 2006/2007! He has recovered from the headinjury, i had my doubts before the gig but he did a fantastic show with the rest of the band. Can't wait for the next one on thursday!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:04

thecitadel
Beast

I couldn't agree more!

+1 thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:05

kish_stoned
keith was brilliant and the guitars were louder and ronnie played his part the whole band were on fire.

Ah ah ah... Do you listen to this HTW intro ??? thumbs down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OT1J2OqcXoc

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:06

JumpinJeppeFlash
Erik_Snow
Beast

thumbs up

Keith was fantastic yesterday night compared with 2006/2007! He has recovered from the headinjury, i had my doubts before the gig but he did a fantastic show with the rest of the band. Can't wait for the next one on thursday!

thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:11

All of the above.

I was a naysayer, I might add. I think there was ample evidence to support that position. There were times last night that I felt like pinching myself to check that the transformation in KR's playing wasn't a dream. I think that someone, (let's say Mick), has said look mate, I'm not going out on the road again with a train wreck like 2007 so shape up or it's not happening. Ronnie too has said that Keith was drinking too much to play well last time round. I am absolutely delighted that Keith has got his shit together and not just for the resulting return to form musically but he must be so much healthier too. Gold rings on ya, Keith!

Date: November 26, 2012 14:13

roby
Ah ah ah... Do you listen to this HTW intro ??? thumbs down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OT1J2OqcXoc

Yeah.. a slight fluff.. no big deal.

The solo is GOOD.

Except for one slight stutter where he might have got his finger under a string... again no bit deal..

Keith has never played any of this the same way twice anyway.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:14

Sounded like Keith had a great evening..Thanks for that!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:23

JumpinJeppeFlash
Erik_Snow
Beast

thumbs up

The Stonesvikings are awake allready ? I'd never guessed that either..!
Good to hear about Keith's return to form from somebody who wasn't saying "yes" back in 06/07

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 26, 2012 14:46

Keith was on fire last night and every body who says different must have been at different place than I was.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home