Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie and Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: January 3, 2005 15:03

Hello, I'm currently having a debate with a friend as to whether or not Ronnie every performed, (as a walk-on or whatever), with Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue. I have this picture in my head of a photo I saw in a magazine around that time, (75/76), of Ronnie on stage with Dylan, (make-up etc), and company. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Thanks.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: Ronnie and Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 3, 2005 15:10

Could it be from The Last Waltz (1976)?

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: January 3, 2005 17:56

Definitely would be the last Waltz correct Erik! Ronnie didnt take part in any of those Dylan RTR shows, but it would have been cool though I agree!!! That is one of the best Rock N Roll tours by anyone ever IMO (At least the 75 portion)........Guess he was too busy with the Faces FINAL tour preps maybe?

The only correlation I can make is this: There is an LP/CD by Kinky Friedman which Ronnie plays on one song which also has a song recorded at one of the Dylan RTR shows but not with Ronnie.

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: January 3, 2005 19:31

no ,thank god he wasnt there for either year.he has @#$%& up a few bob shows since though.mick ronson played on the 1976 shows.

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: January 3, 2005 19:58

best to check with JumpingKunt though (born 1981) but an expert on 60s and 70s music......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2005 21:21

Ronnie never shared a stage with Dylan until the Last Waltz, which was in San Francisco at Thanksgiving, 1976 - 6 months after the second and final leg of the RTR ended

Both however played on Clapton's "Sign Language" sessions in March 1976, there are outtakes in circulation. Around this time, Dylan gave Woody the song "Seven Days" which he'd just written - Dylan also performed it on a few occasions on the tour that followed a couple of weeks later...

Date: January 3, 2005 21:21

Ronnie never shared a stage with Dylan until the Last Waltz, which was in San Francisco at Thanksgiving, 1976 - 6 months after the second and final leg of the RTR ended

Both however played on Clapton's "Sign Language" sessions in March 1976, there are outtakes in circulation. Around this time, Dylan gave Woody the song "Seven Days" which he'd just written - Dylan also performed it on a few occasions on the tour that followed a couple of weeks later...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 3, 2005 22:07

Ronnie did a great version of seven days(better than dylan) at MSG for Dylans
anniversary of 30 years with columbia

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 3, 2005 23:39

Seven Days was awesome at the 30th Anniversary gig, wasn't it? But, I thought GE's solo and Steve Cropper's solo made the tune...along with Keltner and Dunn. It smoked!

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: January 4, 2005 00:03

Forgive me but, who is GE? And, was Dylan still wearing Make-up on stage for The Last Waltz? Seems kind of goofy that he would. (It's been awhile sice I've seen the film).

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: January 4, 2005 01:25

GE is G.E. Smith, who was Dylan's guitarist from 1988 to 1990 and who was the musical director of the 30th Anniversary Tribute show in 1992.

Americans probably know him best as the leader of the house band on Saturday Night Live.

I think Bob may have had some eye make up at that Last waltz show, (hard to tell under that big hat) but not the facepaint that he wore on the 1st part of the RTR tour in 1975.

He wore eye make up throughout the 1978 tour and was definitely wearing it on the '84 tour too, so its not like it was a phase he'd gone through by 1976!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2005 03:18

He wore a whiteface during RTR in '75 (not '76, interestingly) - sort of a 'statement' apparently - a "reverse blackface" - blackfacing was popular for white artists starting in the 20's....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home