Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Beatles rejected audition tape found
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 23, 2012 20:37

Re: OT - Beatles rejected audition tape found
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 23, 2012 20:49

Is there a note 'LMW28IF' on the box with the tape? If not - there is no point to pay rough money for it.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 23, 2012 20:59

What I dont understand is all these tracks have been avail in excellent quality since the early 80s. I think 4 of the tracks are on the legit "Anthology Vol 1". I remember there was a Legit picture vinyl release in the early 80s that didnt include the Len/Mac originals.But in the last decade or so Purple Chick and Dr Ebbets have both released cds that I just cant see any improvement being made on. Kinda like the IBC and BBC bonus material on the Grrr deluxe box DO NOT sound any better than the bootlegs we've had for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-23 21:09 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:01

I thought I had it.....on a bootleg album from early seventies....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:09

scottkeef
What I dont understand is all these tracks have been avail in excellent quality since the early 80s. I think 4 of the tracks are on the legit "Anthology Vol 1".

Thought so too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-23 21:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 23, 2012 21:16

Hi,Erik! I checked and "Searchin', Three Cool Cats, Shiek Of Araby,Like Dreamers Do and Hello Little Girl" all from the Decca audition tape are on Anthology Vol 1....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:29

Some of us don't have the bootlegs. sad smiley I would think that with the latest digitizing technology that they could make better sounding audio than a boot from the 70's and especially from the early 80's CD formats. Although the 2" 16 track master tapes from the 70's are about as good as it gets for Rock and Roll.

This is a 12 inch 10 track master tape? Friggin' awesome but what are you gonna use to play it back these days?! Gotta buy a new tape machine for that one.
I wonder if he meant 2 inch tape?

The committment to track usage in the early days was part of the magic of the records, somewhat lost in this day of 128 track recording studios. But 10 tracks was massive for 1962!

Thanks for the post very interesting on alot of level. peace

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:40

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: November 23, 2012 21:52

Naturalust, you may not be familiar with Purple Chick and Dr Ebbets but believe me the quality of their material rival the legit labels..

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:52

Now if we can just find the Stone's audition tapes that compelled a record exec to say "get rid of that singer." grinning smiley

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 23, 2012 22:07

Naturalust
Some of us don't have the bootlegs. sad smiley I would think that with the latest digitizing technology that they could make better sounding audio than a boot from the 70's and especially from the early 80's CD formats. Although the 2" 16 track master tapes from the 70's are about as good as it gets for Rock and Roll.

This is a 12 inch 10 track master tape? Friggin' awesome but what are you gonna use to play it back these days?! Gotta buy a new tape machine for that one.
I wonder if he meant 2 inch tape?

The committment to track usage in the early days was part of the magic of the records, somewhat lost in this day of 128 track recording studios. But 10 tracks was massive for 1962!

Thanks for the post very interesting on alot of level. peace

I think what is meant from the article in terms of 10 tracks is the number of songs recorded--10 in all. None of the British recording studios of the time had more than 2 tracks for recording at their disposal. The first real track-layering advances were made in the U.S. by the likes of Tom Dowd, who was surprised when he visited the UK by just how far behind in recording technology the major British studios were even as late as 1967.

Here's a taste of that audition if you've never heard the bootleg, which I first heard when they became generally available in the early 80s. According to the article, the tape is merely being auctioned as a museum curio. There's really no sense in giving the tracks a digital upgrade. The old monos sound fine, even though The [Silver] Beatles were not at their best, as they were nervous and not well rested for the audition, which I believe was held at an early hour.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 23, 2012 23:51

It's a tape copy of the decca audition minus the 3 lennon-mccartney songs. some company (circuit records or audio fidelity ?) put it out in the early 80's so it's not the real thing (Brian Epstein's tape copy or deccas) so to speak just a reel to reel tape copy.
if anyone wants to hear it seek out Never Mind The Tremoloes cdr which was distributed by Hobnail. a quick google should sort you out. The sound quality is better than the band !
I can't believe the crap i've read about this auction tape in the newspapers. I mean The Beatles lives are pretty much documented every day from 61 to 69 and nearly every article in newspapers contains inaccuracies usually coz of poor and lazy research. Imagine how accurate the articles they write about important things are.
Good thing we don't get most of our daily news from these useless tossers. oh hang on a minute...you mean we do ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2012 23:02

ash
Imagine how accurate the articles they write about important things are.

Good thing we don't get most of our daily news from these useless tossers. oh hang on a minute...you mean we do ?

In defense of the profession you must understand that nowadays being a journalist is about a glorious as working at Mc Donald's. The halcyon days of being well-paid well-considered and well-treated by the boss are GONE.

Today it's more like "buddy I need three articles (on three diff. subjects) before 10 pm" well you tend to go easy/lazy and rewrite crap/lies you find here and there i.e. on the Net.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 25, 2012 00:49

This is a fraud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home