Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Brits are big time boozers
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2012 21:31

Green Lady
latebloomer
I wonder if Keith Richards' alcoholism would have been worse had he lived mostly in Britain, rather than the US. I am sure Patti Hansen's return to her devout Christian roots had something to do with him cutting down on his drinking. Americans do have that puritan streak which is very disapproving of excessive drinking.

We exported most of our Puritans to the colonies in the seventeenth century, and all the wicked reprobates got left here.

Will you take them back, please?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 18, 2012 21:34

paulywaul
There's no denying that drinking in Britain is a problem

there it is again!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:21

I never had a problem drinking with some Brits Friends of mine

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:48

treaclefingers
StonesTod
i don't see how you can put drinking and problem in the same sentence....

"I have a problem with people who don't enjoy excessive drinking".

It's a finesse thing.

I'll drink to that!

Date: November 18, 2012 22:50

StonesTod
Yes, but problem drinking fits vey well in the same sentence...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: November 18, 2012 23:16

I'm a New Yorker who has lived in Ireland (Germany too) and spent a lot of time in Britain.

Binge drinking and PubLife are prevalent in both Ireland and Britain. I also worked in the restaurant industry in N.Y.C. and while I thought the Brits and Irish were the champs of drinking it became clear that the Russians/Ukrainians held the title. They drink vodka doubles preferably warm right out of the bottle, no ice/rocks, tonic, etc. .

Date: November 18, 2012 23:33

its good to be anywhere
StonesTod
Yes, but problem drinking fits very well in the same sentence...

which sentence?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 18, 2012 23:41

latebloomer
I wonder if Keith Richards' alcoholism would have been worse had he lived mostly in Britain, rather than the US. I am sure Patti Hansen's return to her devout Christian roots had something to do with him cutting down on his drinking. Americans do have that puritan streak which is very disapproving of excessive drinking.

Keith's heavy drinking was mainly an offshoot of his coming off of heroin. A lot of former heroin addicts take up heavy drinking to get that similar knocked-out buzz. From what has been said/written lately, Keith seems to have cut down on his drinking only in the last couple of years, as he was still playing those 2007 ABB shows smashed out of his head and still "preparing" for interviews thereafter with his favorite "nuclear waste" mix of vodka and orange soda.

Date: November 19, 2012 00:01

i prefer the rebel yell version of keith to the nuclear waste one.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:13

latebloomer

Hah , Patti's family is known to be a hard drinking one and I really don't see the connection with Chritianity and not drinking. I know plenty of Christians who hit the vino with gusto. Hell they start early on in Church services.

My Native American blood has kept me from being able to really enjoy getting smashed, not that I haven't tried and tried. I drink one drink, my friends drink 6 in that time and we all blow the same BAC on our handheld electronic testers. Go figure.

But any country that makes as good of booze as Tanquery Ten is OK with me. peace

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:39

Naturalust
latebloomer

Hah , Patti's family is known to be a hard drinking one and I really don't see the connection with Chritianity and not drinking. I know plenty of Christians who hit the vino with gusto. Hell they start early on in Church services.

My Native American blood has kept me from being able to really enjoy getting smashed, not that I haven't tried and tried. I drink one drink, my friends drink 6 in that time and we all blow the same BAC on our handheld electronic testers. Go figure.

But any country that makes as good of booze as Tanquery Ten is OK with me. peace

You're right NL, my Dad came from a hard drinking Catholic family, used to drive my mother crazy with his benders. I do wonder if Patti getting sick had anything to do with him cutting back, maybe it's just the realization that he can't function at all anymore on booze.

Like you, I'm not much of a drinker. I am a skinny broad as my Dad used to call me, so I can only handle a few drinks, and then it's time to either stop or hit the dance floor. I do like a good gin and tonic, I'll give the Tanquery Ten a try.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:51

My level of stupidity can usually be measured by how many pints I've knocked back and what brand of beer I'm drinking. After 5 pints of Stella, the night can go either way, believe me. Five to six pints of real ale ('craft beer' for the Americans) and I'm usually OK. It'll be a jolly old evening. Spirits I stopped drinking years ago. They're overpriced with too much ice. Drinking them at home is a different matter, but I wouldn't trust myself with a bottle of Smirnoff or Jack in the cupboard.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:56

Big Al
real ale ('craft beer' for the Americans)

How would you classify Boddington's ?

Date: November 19, 2012 02:00

Edith Grove
Big Al

an english milkshake

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 19, 2012 02:01

Edith Grove

Originally real ale, but these days, outside of Manchester, you’re unlikely to find it in that form. It’s usually available as a pasteurised beer – in other words, a bit like lager, but a bitter.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 19, 2012 02:48

StonesTod
its good to be anywhere
StonesTod
Yes, but problem drinking fits very well in the same sentence...

which sentence?

A prison sentence, you'd have a problem drinking if you had a prison sentence........smack & ganja though? you can have as much of that as you like.........but don't let the guard smell it, he'll take it off you and smoke/sell it himself...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-19 05:02 by EddieByword.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 19, 2012 09:32

SonicDreamer
Does this thread have a Springsteen agenda? No, they why is it on IORR?!!!

Ha ha! I think you're right. So let's see, Little Steven (or whatever he calls himself) wants the govt to ban sugar, your body has a relationship to alcohol and blood sugar, so therefore...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 19, 2012 09:53

Edith Grove
Big Al

Delicious, I like the stuff. Reminds me, I really ought to go out and buy some.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 19, 2012 11:33

Sometimes I will bew watching a British film, that takes place in UK and I realize just how much drinking there is. E.g I watched this great little flic with Eric Cantona called 'Looking 4 Eric'. Good film and lots of booze.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2012 12:06

The UK is, but one of the many countries with a binge drinking problem.

Date: November 19, 2012 16:40

His Majesty
The UK is, but one of the many countries with a binge drinking problem.

is it really the country? or is the people living in it?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:20

Does the UK have light beer or is that an American thing? You know like "Bud Lite" where it has fewer calories, is that something Britons concern themselves with. I've noticed they tend to use real sugar (rather than substitutes like aspartame and saccharine) and real butter.

Ahh, Britain... my favorite place to visit. So lovely.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:58

latebloomer
Naturalust
latebloomer

You're right NL, my Dad came from a hard drinking Catholic family, used to drive my mother crazy with his benders. I do wonder if Patti getting sick had anything to do with him cutting back, maybe it's just the realization that he can't function at all anymore on booze.

Like you, I'm not much of a drinker. I am a skinny broad as my Dad used to call me, so I can only handle a few drinks, and then it's time to either stop or hit the dance floor. I do like a good gin and tonic, I'll give the Tanquery Ten a try.

Hitting the dance floor can't be all bad, good way to work off the effects of the alcohol. In my many years of playing clubs I used to be amazed at watching the crowd get slowly pickled. We of course sounded much better as the crowd became drunker but I usually couldn't wait to get the hell out of there before I had to actually talk to anybody. If I was drinking it might have been different.

As far as Patti inspiring Keith to drink less, I don't doubt she has been somewhat of a good influence, he would probably have been dead long ago if it wasn't for her. But in the end it is a very personal choice and one can not be responsible for another's drug or alcohol problems, no matter how hard we try. Some people just plain outgrow the need to be plastered all the time. I think Keith is still a heavy weed smoker and that had probably become his intoxicant of choice. Easier to function both musically and personally on it, imho. But noting that his daughters have both been know to indulge in prescription narcotics I have my suspicions about the availability of such in the Richards household. peace

Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: November 19, 2012 18:22

Lets drink to the hard working people
Lets drink to the lowly of birth
Raise your glass to the good and the evil
Lets drink to the salt of the earth

(Jagger-Richards)

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home