Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hello fellow Stones freaks! - 1st posting to IORR
Posted by: stonemason ()
Date: November 17, 2012 13:45

Hello everyone, this is my first posting to IORR. I realized the other day that I have been reading the posts on here daily for about seven years and with so much going on in Stones world this year I thought I better get started before the train comes in the station.As with many of you, the Stones have become almost a way of life for me ever since I first heard their music when I was about 11 years old. I love these guys and cant even imagine a world without them.Keith is right when he says there is the sun and the moon and the Rolling Stones! I think the first exposure I had to them was Ya Yas and my first album purchase was Exile. I can still remember walking into the record store in 1972 and seeing all the new releases and Exile was #1 up on the wall.I have purchased every release since - and yes, I will probably get Grrrrr even though I would have preferred an album of new material.I am certainly not complaining as this has been an outstanding year for filling in all the holes in the collection with all of the archive releases, dvds etc. One time I decided to listen to all of my stones albums, tapes etc in order from 1962 to present, also watching the videos/dvds in order with the music. Of course a lot of it had to be in my car or I might have driven my family crazy! It took about 15 months of Stones non stop - how long will it take after this year? LOL! I have seen the Stones live only 8 times and each time was an unforgettable experience. The first time was October 11, 1981 in L.A. when a bunch of us travelled down from Canada. What a great concert! Was anyone else there? One of the other Stones highlights for me was getting to meet Mick Taylor. I went to see him and his band in a bar in Victoria, B.C. in about 1992. The bar was clearing out and I asked the bouncer if I could stay behind and get an autograph. He said sure, and once everyone was out and the doors locked, Mick came out and sat with me. We had three beers together, all of which I was happy to buy as a trade off for hearing some of the most awesome solos ever! The thing I remember most was the size of his hand when we shook - no wonder he can wail that guitar so well - his reach must be amazing!Anyways, enough about me - a few general thoughts about posts/ themes I have observed on IORR. The whiners - come on guys (and girls) the Stones have given us a sound track for life which no other group is ever likely to do again.At this point I think they can do what they want and anything they do from this point on is gravy for us super fans.No, I don't have the bankroll to get to any of the upcoming shows, but if I did I would go. I am happy for those who will get to go. We will at least probably get another DVD.Next observation - Streets of Love. I am amused by how many people dislike this song. Of course evryone is entitled to their own opinion. It is not my favorite song either but I don't think it is nearly as bad as it is made out to be. The other one is Back to Zero.That was always one of my faves on Dirty Work. Love the jungle/monkey calls! Don't Stop - love it! In fact I can honestly say I don't think there is a Stones song that I don't like, but the bottom of the list for me has to be Hold Back which is tied with Fight. Speaking of different songs, I would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who might have heard Keith's "Oh Lord, Dont Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me." I was surfing on Youtube the other day and came across that song - its F....ing fantastic! Another Keith/Stones one I really like is "It's Funny" from the Voodoo sessions. How that song never made it on the album I'll never know. Well if you made it to the end of my post you are a Soul Survivor! Seven years was a long time to hold it all in and I am glad to finally get signed on. Doom & Gloom - crank it up baby!

Let it Rock, but remember, if you are on your bike - wear white!

Cheers everyone,

Bob

Re: Hello fellow Stones freaks! - 1st posting to IORR
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 17, 2012 16:16

> Speaking of different songs, I would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who might have heard Keith's "Oh Lord, Dont Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me."

the song you're talking about comes originally from my favorite jazz album ever recorded,
it was Charles Mingus' "Oh Yeah" released in 1961,
apparently there are better songs there, "Ecclusiastics" for example winking smiley
all in all Keith* rendition is nice (it's always amazing to hear Keith playing in a different way than he usually does),
but quite obviously can't come even close to the original version. smiling smiley
* it features also Charlie on drums, doesn't it?

Re: Hello fellow Stones freaks! - 1st posting to IORR
Posted by: stonemason ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:13

Hi Amused. Yes, Charlie plays on it as does Bobby Keyes, the Uptown Horns and our good buddy Chuck Leavell.Bernard Fowler is also in on the vocals. I believe it was recorded in and around the Steel Wheels era.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home