Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best scene was cut from Charlie Is My Darling
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 15, 2012 19:53

Saw the new expanded version at a screening in Long Beach last night.

I'd seen the film before at least three times playing at various revival houses back in the 70's.

While I thought the "restoration" looked beautiful, and I liked the new concert and backstage footage, I couldn't believe they cut the amazing scene when Brian is interviewed, and he uses the word "surrealistic" several times to describe the movie he wants to make. Then the off-camera interviewer asks him to define "surrealism," and Brian is speechless. He just... stares at the camera, with look of horror.

It is one of the most embarrassing, cringe-worthy, memorable moments that I've ever seen in a film. Awful for Jones, but scene-wise, I think it was too good to cut.

I also remember more of the Stones downplaying their own musical abilities. In addition to Charlie saying that he's merely a drummer, in the older version he cites Shostakovich as an example of a "real musician."

Some of the subtitles with the Irish were helpful, but I thought they were annoying when they appeared during Mick and Keith's scene at the piano. It on DVD now, we can re-play if we need to. Plus, it's the Stones...a little mystery never hurt them.

For years, whenever I would have a cup I would quote Mick's line, "Suu-per tea!", and it made me smile to hear him say it again.

And the concert footage just looked great. Really, really well done.

Re: Best scene was cut from Charlie Is My Darling
Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: November 15, 2012 21:02

The Brian interview IS included, in the interview extras.

Re: Best scene was cut from Charlie Is My Darling
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 15, 2012 21:50

Jfk19562003
The Brian interview IS included, in the interview extras.

But not in the body of the film itself. At the screening last night, after the film proper, they also ran an interview with Oldham, a short feature about the restoration showing before and after clips, and some interviews (surrounded by time code ) including a segment with Charlie where he says something about not liking being filmed (or not being happy at the moment), which was also in the original version, and was a great laugh line.

However, Brian's "surrealistic" moment was not shown at the screening.

Is that sequence in the DVD extras? Or perhaps left intact in the "Director's Cut" that comes with the set?

This morning I was starting to tell a friend of mine who saw the film with me back in '76 about the scene's exclusion, and he vividly remembered the "surrealism" line--in fact he said the word before I got to it.

He also maintained it was the best moment in the film and said it was a shame that this new version did not include it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 21:52 by loog droog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home