Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Could a new (world) recession keep the Stones sidelined next year?
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 15, 2012 16:36

I've been quite confident that the Stones would do some kind of tour in 2013, however, with all the news of the "Fiscal Cliff" in the US and all of Europe's troubles (Greece and Spain problems getting worse), I wonder if the Stones may decide not to tour in 2013. (I realize nothing was ever announced to begin with).

From the Associated Press today:

World stocks slid Thursday as the eurozone fell into recession and hopes faded for a quick agreement among U.S. leaders not to hike taxes and cut government spending — a potential double whammy which could derail the world's biggest economy.
The European Union's statistics agency confirmed that the eurozone countries are in recession, with GDP contracting 0.1 percent in the third quarter from the previous three-month period.

How do you see things unfolding (the stones and the economy in general) in your neck of the world?

Re: Could a new (world) recession keep the Stones sidelined next year?
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2012 16:56

No,
there is a demand for Stones gigs.
You can see it at the selling of tickets for the 5 shows.

there will be a short tour, at enormous prices.

jeroen

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:01

This thread could get ugly real fast.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:06

just the opposite...it will motivate them even further and charge even more....at these prices it will stimulate worldwide economic spending and lead to a more prosperous and thriving world economy.

the stones will hailed as saviors and lionized in history as not only the greatest rock'n'roll band of all time but the most altruistic and philanthropic group ever assembled. and in an ironic twist of fate...they WILL make saints of them.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:08

Another good reason for them to skip the stadiums. My dream would be a European autumn (or spring) arena tour.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:15

Stoneage,
my guess is, there will be a spring tour.Jagger stated a few weeks ago, there will be happening something next year, before July

Hope so

jeroen

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:22

No matter what "most" common people might go through, there will always be an upper crust, 1%ers, who can afford to blow money on anything and everything... and it seems that is who The Stones are marketing to... e.g. ticket prices, $10,000 a bottle whisky, $800.00 box sets etc etc.... so I dont think the general economy will affect their plans.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:28

Has Doom&Gloom (aka the holy quadrangle) hacked StonesTod's account? winking smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:46

StonesTod
just the opposite...it will motivate them even further and charge even more....at these prices it will stimulate worldwide economic spending and lead to a more prosperous and thriving world economy.

the stones will hailed as saviors and lionized in history as not only the greatest rock'n'roll band of all time but the most altruistic and philanthropic group ever assembled. and in an ironic twist of fate...they WILL make saints of them.

Colonial? confused smiley

Date: November 15, 2012 17:52

and did i-i-i-i mention that they will in fact then walk the streets of love for a thousand years?

Date: November 15, 2012 17:54

StonesTod

It sounds like you are saying they won't tour next year, do I got that right?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:57

I don't buy that. There was plenty of speculation on here way before the current shows were announced about how the Stones would be whistling in the wind if they hoped to sell pricey tickets in the current economic climate. So what happens? The tickets are more than double those "pricey" 2007 tickets and people are buying them, which is also sending a message for future pricing. So much for all the theorizing.

Date: November 15, 2012 18:02

2000 LYFH
StonesTod

It sounds like you are saying they won't tour next year, do I got that right?

i'm going to go way out on a limb and say that they will either tour...or, if they don't do that, then they won't tour.

Date: November 15, 2012 18:55

Max'sKansasCity
No matter what "most" common people might go through, there will always be an upper crust, 1%ers, who can afford to blow money on anything and everything... and it seems that is who The Stones are marketing to... e.g. ticket prices, $10,000 a bottle whisky, $800.00 box sets etc etc.... so I dont think the general economy will affect their plans.

Well I agree that's the case in the London/NYC markets, but I bet the Stones would think twice about a large world tour at those ticket prices. How many 1%ers are fans and the ones who are, how many would see them a second time. And how many fans on this site can afford to see them more than a couple of times (many people here have decided to not see them even once). So if we do go deeper into a recession in 2013, I'm betting the Stones would decide the margins just are not there. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 15, 2012 19:02

Beast
I don't buy that. There was plenty of speculation on here way before the current shows were announced about how the Stones would be whistling in the wind if they hoped to sell pricey tickets in the current economic climate. So what happens? The tickets are more than double those "pricey" 2007 tickets and people are buying them, which is also sending a message for future pricing. So much for all the theorizing.

True to a point - but they didnt announce a tour. They announced five shows in two major urban areas in two continents with no guarantee that there will be more shows to follow. Completely different supply and demand issues to a world tour taking in about 100 shows in 70-80 cities.

Try that formula over a proper tour and things might well be different.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 15, 2012 19:08

Typically the entertainment industry is not nearly as effected by recession as other industries. In fact some reports show that it is actually helped somewhat by economic downturns. People won't give up their music till they are on their last breath.

Although, maybe it could help with the whole ticket price fiasco... peace

Date: November 15, 2012 19:55

Only if they're too greedy.

Date: November 15, 2012 20:04

Spain is the country with the highest rate of unemployment (25%) in the developed world (where allegedly Spain ranks). If Stones keep their path according to economic trends...by the time they come here I wonder if they will find someone to sell a ticket...

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 15, 2012 22:08

StonesTod
and did i-i-i-i mention that they will in fact then walk the streets of love for a thousand years?

oh good lord...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home