Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
GRRR (Blue-Ray) out 23th of november!
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 14, 2012 19:08

www.weltbild.de

whats that-one? 50 Videos?? ( incl. the new 2?) anybody know more details?

Re: GRRR (Blue-Ray) out 23th of november!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 14, 2012 20:45

Havo
www.weltbild.de

whats that-one? 50 Videos?? ( incl. the new 2?) anybody know more details?

Just googled: seems to be this one, a Blu-ray Audio.

JPC says: "The Blu-ray Audio Format with 50 Tracks in High Definition Audio - 24 bit - on one Blu-ray Disc".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-14 20:55 by Irix.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 14, 2012 21:55

Grrr! is already available as high definition audio download on Qobuz : [www.qobuz.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 14, 2012 22:10

Also available on HDtracks. Would be cool if they added videos to this collection.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 14, 2012 22:10

Now that might just tempt me to buy this f*ckin thing. I'm glad I found out now and not after I bought another format. Blu-ray Audio is as good as it gets as far as digital sources go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-14 22:11 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 14, 2012 22:39

Up to now I've had no interest in this comp but a HD version? That's tempting. Is it available in the UK?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2012 00:06

No compressed/uncompressed version like for the Macca HD Audio releases ?

Date: November 15, 2012 00:14

gotdablouse

Most likely it's the same version as the CD. High resolution compressed audio doesn't make any sense IMO. The HDTracks version of Some Girls released last year sounded awful...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 15, 2012 00:59

Cracking marketing. Wait until the various formats of the album are already in the shops or have been ordered before launching a blu ray version. THAT'll sell like hot cakes. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:01

Gazza
Cracking marketing. Wait until the various formats of the album are already in the shops or have been ordered before launching a blu ray version. THAT'll sell like hot cakes. eye rolling smiley

I'm beginning to get the feeling they are taking us for a ride.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:06

They'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for us pesky meddling kids. And whiners.

Date: November 15, 2012 01:13

Gazza
They'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for us pesky meddling kids. And whiners.

What a coincidence...I'm having a glass of red whine right now!

Date: November 15, 2012 10:25

gotdablouse

There should be two tracks on this Blu-ray Audio Disc: a "DTS-HD Master Audio" Track (compressed, but lossless like FLAC) and a "PCM 2.0" Track (uncompressed, like CD).

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 15, 2012 10:49

treaclefingers
Gazza

What a coincidence...I'm having a glass of red whine right now!

Hehe

Date: November 15, 2012 12:04

Irix
gotdablouse

There should be two tracks on this Blu-ray Audio Disc: a "DTS-HD Master Audio" Track (compressed, but lossless like FLAC) and a "PCM 2.0" Track (uncompressed, like CD).

By "uncompressed" I think gotdablouse meant dynamic compression not audio data compression (lossy or lossless).

Date: November 15, 2012 13:25

kowalski
gotdablouse

By "uncompressed" I think gotdablouse meant dynamic compression not audio data compression (lossy or lossless).

What are the Paul McCartney HD Audio releases?

Can't find these on e .g. HDtracks.com or Blu-ray Audio.

Date: November 16, 2012 10:34

Irix
kowalski
gotdablouse

In 2010 or something McCartney's "Band on the Run" was made available as an "uncompressed" HD download on HDTracks, which means faithful to the original recording. However I can't seem to find it anymore on the website...

From wikipedia :
"The album was re-released by Hear Music/Concord Music Group on 2 November 2010 as the first release in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection. It was released in multiple formats:
(...)
High Resolution 24bit 96 kHz with no dynamic range compression limited and unlimited audio versions of all 18 songs on the remastered album and bonus audio disc"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-16 10:39 by kowalski.

Date: November 18, 2012 11:35

kowalski
Irix

In 2010 or something McCartney's "Band on the Run" was made available as an "uncompressed" HD download on HDTracks, which means faithful to the original recording. However I can't seem to find it anymore on the website...

From wikipedia :
"The album was re-released by Hear Music/Concord Music Group on 2 November 2010 as the first release in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection. It was released in multiple formats:
(...)
High Resolution 24bit 96 kHz with no dynamic range compression limited and unlimited audio versions of all 18 songs on the remastered album and bonus audio disc"

Thank you for the information, now I know what you meant.

The tracks are still available at HDtracks.com, but only via the Wikipedia-Link. Strangely, no P. McCartney album is found on HDtracks.com via the search bar.

HDtracks.com wrote to the BAND ON THE RUN album:

"HDtracks give you two choices:

1) [Compressed] The original album mastering in 96/24

2) [Uncompressed] The newly remastered BAND ON THE RUN in 96/24 with NO dynamic range compression."

So it's a choice between the original Mastering with and a completely new Remaster without dynamic range compression.

I don't know, whether the tracks on GRRR! have been remastered again or they are the same as we they already know.

Date: November 18, 2012 11:44

I bet they used the same mastering as on the CD as it was the case for Some Girls HDtracks version.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:54

Yes, the Macca rereleases so far (BOTR, MaccaI, MaccaII, Ram) were offered with an HD version uncompressed, i.e. not "brickwalled".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 18, 2012 13:55

gotdablouse
Yes, the Macca rereleases so far (BOTR, MaccaI, MaccaII, Ram) were offered with an HD version uncompressed, i.e. not "brickwalled".

David Bowie did the same with his re-releases of Station To Station and Ziggy Stardust. On the same DVD you had the "modern mix" (compressed and brickwalled) and the original mastering. Needless to say that the original sounds fantastic when compared to the new mix...

Date: November 21, 2012 14:17

GRRR! high resolution download version is #1 on best sellers list on French music site Qobuz
[www.qobuz.com]

...and #1 on HDTracks Top 25 Rock Best Sellers list.
[www.hdtracks.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2012 15:29

HD format's taking off! Yahoo! smileys with beer

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 22, 2012 01:48

I don't think I'll be buying this. If it's the same mastering but in higher resolution there won't be much of an audible improvement, if any. I'll spend the money I save on completing my SHM-SACD collection instead (six down, six to go).

Date: November 25, 2012 02:24

I changed my mind and bought it anyway. It's not so expensive on amazon.co.uk, so I decided to take the risk.

Date: November 25, 2012 05:53

FreeBird
I changed my mind and bought it anyway. It's not so expensive on amazon.co.uk, so I decided to take the risk.

Me too, I've preordered. Only 9 GBPs after they do the discount!

Date: November 25, 2012 10:25

I guess the tracks on the blu-ray are the same as the ones available at HDTracks.

All the tracks on first disc and tracks #1-8 on second disc are ABKCO remasters, and are actually the same as the HD versions that were made available a couple of years ago on HDTracks. These tracks made from the 2002 remasters sound great in high res.

From #9 on disc 2 all tracks are from UMG remasters. Because the remastering is very loud and compressed you will hear almost no difference between the HD versions and the CD versions. Also a lot of these tracks are actually upsampled from 44.1kHz / 24 bit sources. On the tracks recorded before 1989 I can't see the reason why as all these tracks were recorded on analog tapes and should have been transferred to digital in much higher resolution. Tracks after 1989 were all recorded digital anyway and most likely in 44.1kHz/24 bit resolution. Only the very last tracks (Don't Stop, Doom and Gloom, One More Shot) seems to have been recorded in higher resolution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-25 10:25 by kowalski.

Date: November 25, 2012 13:50

kowalski

I guess the tracks on the blu-ray are the same as the ones available at HDTracks.

Not quite:

The tracks on Blu-ray should be all at least 96 kHz / 24 bit.

The tracks on Qobuz are all 88.2 kHz / 24 bit.

The tracks on HDtracks are 88.2 kHz / 24 bit, one track is 48 kHz / 24 bit and 8 other tracks are 44.1 kHz / 24 bit (see the notes on HDtracks.com).

I don't know, whether the high definition tracks are all the same Remasters (should be compared) and whether the Blu-ray tracks are upsampled from 44.1 kHz / 24 bit studio sources to meet the Blu-ray requirements.

By the way: buying the tracks on HDtracks.com ouside the United States is possible with a trick: use a free anonymous proxy server within the United States and checkout via PayPal. For buying the tracks on Qobuz a free anonymous proxy server within France is sufficient if a message appears, that the album is not yet available in your country (both worked for me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-25 19:10 by Irix.

Date: November 25, 2012 17:51

treaclefingers
Only 9 GBPs after they do the discount!
Discount? If you live outside the EU, they might subtract the VAT, but that's not a discount.
Irix
The tracks on Blu-ray should be all 96 kHz / 24 bit.
What makes you think that? Why couldn't they be 192 kHz, for instance?

Date: November 25, 2012 19:05

FreeBird

Irix

The tracks on Blu-ray should be all 96 kHz / 24 bit.

What makes you think that? Why couldn't they be 192 kHz, for instance?

You're right, could be 192 kHz too. Don't know the sampling rate, because I haven't the disc (yet).

The DTS-HD Master Audio Stream of a Blu-ray Disc is specified with either 96 kHz or 192 kHz at 24 bit.

Hopefully the GRRR! Blu-ray Audio tracks have not been upsampled from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz winking smiley

-----

To the Amazon discount: maybe he had an Promotional Code ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-25 19:55 by Irix.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home