Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

100 club bootleg
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:47

After all these marvelous bootleg releases i wonder if we will ever get the ultimate Stones bootleg: 100 club gig for Stu.

What do you think? Was it recorded or filmed?

Re: 100 club bootleg
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:10

I'm sure they at least recorded it.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:31

“TONY, CAN YOU WORK TONIGHT? WE’VE GOT THE ROLLING STONES PLAYING!”

It was Sunday afternoon, February 23rd 1986 when I got a surreal phone call from Roger (Horton, the 100 club owner):
“Tony, can you work tonight, we’ve got the Rolling Stones playing!”
Needless to say I jumped at the chance but assumed in reality it would doubtless just turn out to be Charlie Watts sitting in with Rocket 88 or something along those lines. Just in case I took my camera along – something ordinarily I never did when working behind the bar.
On arrival at the club there was clearly something special in the offing – very heavy security and lots of people milling around outside. Rocket 88 were indeed scheduled to play but were the support band for what was to be a Rolling Stones tribute performance for Ian Stewart who had recently died. Ian was known as the 6th Rolling Stone – he was in the original line up and continued to contribute off and on throughout the years.
The event was invite only of course for the chosen few who wanted to pay their respects, one guy I spoke to had flown in from L.A. just for the gig and flying back immediately afterwards.
As the evening got under way I began noticing various rock celebrities drinking at the bar all of whom were later to jam with the band: Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jack Bruce, Simon Kirke, Lemmy, etc.
When the Stones took the stage they was of course zero demand for further drinks at the bar as everyone was transfixed enabling me to get out in the crowd with the camera and enjoy the set.
They played very much a retro set of songs as opposed to greatest hits , R’n’B and Blues classics from their roots days, the sound system was of course stunning. The set list included:
- Route 66
- Down The Road Apiece
- Key To The Highway
- Confessin’ The Blues
- Mannish Boy
- Bye Bye Johnny
- Harlem Shuffle
- Just Another Night
- Little Red Rooster
- Down In The Bottom
- Dust My Blues
- Little Queenie
As the various rock royalties sat in I managed to get a fabulous collection of photos. As far as I know there were only 3 people taking pictures that night: me, Richard (Roger’s son/bar manager) and the Daily Star who ran a 4 page centre spread the next day. Several of Richard’s photos now adorn the club walls celebrating what was a truly memorable night.
I have had countless great nights down the club over a 40 year period, I worked there for 20 years from 1982-2002. Prior to that I was a regular punter since 1972 , and still get down as often as possible since leaving. It remains for me THE best of the smaller London venues, a special atmosphere, a unique history and the birthplace of many top bands.
(Tony Howell)

[www.the100club.co.uk]

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:38

JUST ANOTHER NIGHT????? For reals?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:04

varilla
After all these marvelous bootleg releases i wonder if we will ever get the ultimate Stones bootleg: 100 club gig for Stu.

According to www.timeisonourside.com/chron1986.html, Paul McCartney was in the audience and made a private audio recording. So, little to no chance of that leaking out to the bootleg circuit.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:07

Macca, the lil' bootlegger ;-)

Yeah it's odd they would have played "Just Another Night"...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:24

gotdablouse
Macca, the lil' bootlegger ;-)

Yeah it's odd they would have played "Just Another Night"...

Should've been a Stones song anyway.

Date: November 13, 2012 20:28

I think Beck started the song (he had recently recorded it with Mick) but quickly stopped it because of Keith threatening him or something.
I remember this fron Bill German´s book. I also remember Bill telling that this gig was his Stones all time favourite, and he has seen quite a lot of them....

I could die for a bootleg DVD from that night

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:29

varilla

I asked the same question in the "True Story Behind DoomNGloom/MightyMorphingPowerstones/Watchmen" thread. You know, to hijack it and change topic in it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:29

stonesnow
[
According to www.timeisonourside.com/chron1986.html, Paul McCartney was in the audience and made a private audio recording. So, little to no chance of that leaking out to the bootleg circuit.

wow, that is funny ! didnt know that.

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:02

That would really be the ultimate official bootleg. But I doubt that the show was recorded professionaly.

From my Beggars Banquet copy:

Date: November 14, 2012 16:29

Yeah!, that´s where i read Bill´s report on that night: BB.
GREAT review!!
Indeed Beck started the intro to JAN and stopped because of Keith ´s nasty looks.
A little bit of WW III on stage that night

Lucky those who were there. Anybody in this forum was lucky enough?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2012 17:16

It was video'd. I know someone that has seen it. It was shot with one small camera.Now I know I will be told by the "experts" on this board that I dont know anything but they told me the same thing after I said that the "Dead Man Cumming" boxset was taken from the rehearsal videos.Years later the excerpts from that tape (which I had seen but could not say that at the time) show up on youtube....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 14, 2012 17:24

scottkeef
It was video'd. I know someone that has seen it. It was shot with one small camera.Now I know I will be told by the "experts" on this board that I dont know anything but they told me the same thing after I said that the "Dead Man Cumming" boxset was taken from the rehearsal videos.Years later the excerpts from that tape (which I had seen but could not say that at the time) show up on youtube....

So what aren't you saying this time?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 14, 2012 17:27

Munichhilton
scottkeef

So what aren't you saying this time?

please, no. that last post gave me a headache.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2012 17:37

Me too....

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: November 14, 2012 17:49

Paul McCartney did record it. I'm friends with his cousin who lives in the same village as me. She did a sculpture of Linda for Paul:

[www.janerobbins.com]

She sees Paul about once a year, usually at Christmas or New Year and I have already asked her to enquire about the 100 club recording.

I'm not holding out much hope though.

Date: November 14, 2012 20:03

That would be a great homage to Stu, don´t you think so? Opening THAT VERY SPECIAL VAULT....

By the way, Mick never speaks too much about Stu, doesn´t he.
Different with the others. Maybe he was not THAT friends with him...

Posted by: dingq ()
Date: November 14, 2012 21:30

I made an edit of "Confessin' the blues" with Ian on piano.
Extra bass (more centered), more drums (on both channels), heavier & clearer guitar, enjoy!

or - if this Youtube link is dead - on Vimeo: video: [player.vimeo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 13:05 by dingq.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home