Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The Eagles - "The Long Goodbye" Farewell Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 6, 2023 21:34

The Eagles Announce “The Long Goodbye” – The Band’s Final Tour

July 6, 2023

"The Eagles have had a miraculous 52-year odyssey, performing for people all over the globe; keeping the music alive in the face of tragic losses, upheavals and setbacks of many kinds. Credit and thanks go to our longtime management team, our dedicated road crew, and our exceptional backup musicians for providing skilled and steadfast support, throughout these many years. We know how fortunate we are, and we are truly grateful. Our long run has lasted far longer than any of us ever dreamed. But, everything has its time, and the time has come for us to close the circle. The official farewell tour is currently in the planning stages. We want to give all our fans a chance to see us on this final round. So, scheduling information will be released as dates are set. The difficulties of booking venues for multiple nights may require us to return to certain cities, depending on demand. But, we hope to see as many of you as we can, before we finish up. Most importantly, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for embracing this band and its music. At the end of the day, you are the reason we have been able to carry on for over five decades. This is our swan song, but the music goes on and on.”

With love and gratitude,
The Eagles

After more than 50 years of touring, and consistently selling out arenas and stadiums worldwide, the Eagles will embark on their final tour, “The Long Goodbye”.

Presale tickets and VIP packages will be available starting Wednesday, July 12 for all announced shows. The general on-sale will start Friday, July 14 at 10:00 AM local time.

[eagles.com]

Re: OT: The Eagles - "The Long Goodbye" Farewell Tour
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 6, 2023 21:48

Not planning to go but....you'd think they'd bring Bernie Leadon along and even forgive Don Felder and let him come too..no slight to Vince Gill or Deacon Frey but neither are members of the original or classic lineups...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 6, 2023 22:02

Good for them I guess but the whole reconvening of the Eagles has seemed so silly. It wasn't REALLY the Eagles, to me, without Don Felder but ok, bands do this all the time. They just continue. They still had their Mick and Keith in Don and Glenn who, let's be honest, are the only ones that HAVE to be there. Then they've got Joe Walsh, who didn't bring as much legitimacy but I would argue was the only draw left of the show. Then Timothy on bass who could literally be anybody.

When Glenn died, thats kinda it. Band over. I get it, my voice means nothing, but I thought through all the backstabbing in the Eagles, they actually ended it well when he did. They did a very sweet performance with Jackson Browne at the Grammys and said, in no uncertain terms, "we're done." Even though I thought it was silly to kick Felder out, I thought they ended on such classy terms.

To then come back, I guess cause there's money on the table and Don doesn't sell as many tickets under his name as he does with the Eagles, to have Vince Gill (who really doesn't add anything for me) and Glenn's son (who despite looking and sounding like Glenn also just feels like pure nepotism and a way to transparently be like "see, we're keeping it in the family") just all felt very superfluous. I know they've done good business, people just want to see the name Eagles, but just felt like a weird backtrack from a classy goodbye. Like a final tour now, does that really mean anything? They'll certainly market it like it will with its ticket prices, but really what could they do to top their History Of The Eagles tour? Just seems like they'd proven everything then came back for more even when there wasn't much to be had.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 6, 2023 22:13

The Eagles wsg Steely Dan = two legendary bands on tour with only two original members between them. Have fun, y'all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2023 22:24

Lame

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2023 23:38

Wouldn't mind seeing Steely Dan again, but not as an opening act for a band I don't like in a 20,000 seat arena, not after having seen them from the front row both times I did see them.

There's a line in SD song that goes, "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening." I always thought that was meant as a joke, until I checked the liner notes and saw that Timothy B Schmit actually sings on that track, among many others in the SD repertoire.

It strikes me as odd that someone as brilliant as Fagen would be a fan of such bland music, when his is anything but. Oh, well. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-06 23:39 by tatters.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 6, 2023 23:53

I don't own any Eagles but I've developed a grudging respect for some of their early stuff...Bernies background with The Burritos and Dillard and Clark, along with Randy Meisners stint with Poco gave them a little cred for a certain type of music. The Henley-Frey master plan was to drop the country rock vibe and go for world domination....and love em or hate em, they succeeded.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 7, 2023 00:50

I'm one of the few on here who do actually love The Eagles, but I do agree that they should have called it a day when Glenn died. That would be like the Stones continuing without Mick or Keef. It just ain't possible.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 7, 2023 01:08

I'm an Eagles fan, but how many farewell tours have they done now?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 7, 2023 01:10

Agreed, this is pathetic. It would be like Mick and Keith carrying on without Charlie.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 7, 2023 01:31

Rocky Dijon
Agreed, this is pathetic. It would be like Mick and Keith carrying on without Charlie.

Well, at least, the Stones — or Mick & Keef for that matter — have never done a “farewell tour”.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 7, 2023 02:13

roryfaninva
Not planning to go but....you'd think they'd bring Bernie Leadon along and even forgive Don Felder and let him come too..no slight to Vince Gill or Deacon Frey but neither are members of the original or classic lineups...

If they recreated that lineup for a night, I'd probably go. Their 1973 setlists were really strong.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 7, 2023 02:42

This tour will go longer than Elton John's. I saw them last year at Hyde Park last year and that was my goodbye. Don't need to see them again.

Date: July 7, 2023 02:47

This is a money grab.

No need for me to go.

And I agree they should like Felder play with them if it is a farewell tour

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2023 02:58

My wife and I saw them around 2007-ish(?) in L.A., and the overall vibe of the live performance was as sterilized and generic as much of their music is in general.
That said, I love all those older greatest hits, and grew up listening to all of them on the radio throughout the '70s...so many memories...
Witchy Womean is fantastic...Take it to the Limit is supreme....One of The Nights is fabulous...Life in the Fast Lane is essential...
Peaceful Easy Feeling very peaceful...Desperado very contemplative...The Best of My Love is simply lovely...and the list goes on...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 7, 2023 03:45

Steely Dan shouldn't be opening for anyone.
Especially the Eagles,

Date: July 7, 2023 03:52

Donald Fagen definitely makes more money opening for the Eagles than on his own. Its a payday, nothing more than that.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2023 04:40

schillid
Steely Dan shouldn't be opening for anyone.
Especially the Eagles,

Totally agree.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 7, 2023 05:32

roryfaninva

The History of the Eagles tour show I saw was excellent. It was towards the end og the tour. No Felder but still great. Joe Walsh was mind blowing.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: July 7, 2023 07:43

It was over when Glen died. I saw the new line up b/c I had a free ticket and did not like it at all. Without Glen’s voice, it did not sound like the Eagles.

Deacon left awhile ago didn’t he? Don’s voice is showing its age too. I loved them, don’t get me wrong. History of ten Eagles was great as was Hell Freezes Over.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 7, 2023 16:16

I'm impressed an Eagles thread gets this much action.

OT: The Eagles - "The Long Goodbye" Farewell Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 7, 2023 16:42

daspyknows
This tour will go longer than Elton John's.

Multiple reports says the tour is expected to last until 2025.

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.usatoday.com]

[variety.com]

Date: July 7, 2023 16:46

treaclefingers
I'm impressed an Eagles thread gets this much action.

Lotta people hate them

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 7, 2023 19:29

tatters
There's a line in SD song that goes, "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening." I always thought that was meant as a joke, until I checked the liner notes and saw that Timothy B Schmit actually sings on that track, among many others in the SD repertoire.

It strikes me as odd that someone as brilliant as Fagen would be a fan of such bland music, when his is anything but. Oh, well. No accounting for taste, I guess.

"Everything You Did" is an angry song directed at an ex-lover. The line, "Turn up the Eagles; the neighbors are listening" has become the mythologized in rock. Steely Dan admired the Eagles, and the group's had the same manager: Irving Azoff. The duo has been coy about the line, but legend has it that Walter Becker's girlfriend loved the Eagles and played them all the time, which bothered him a bit. One day they got in a fight, and he came up with that line.

A story with more veracity is how the Eagles returned the favor on "Hotel California" with the line, "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast." With the clear intention of getting a Steely Dan mention in the song, the line was written as "They stab it with their Steely Dan," but they decided to make it a little more vague. As Glenn Frey pointed out, changing it to "steely knives" retains the phallic imagery. Asked what he thought when he heard the line, Don Henley replied: "I know them pretty well, and it was like he was sort of saying, 'Everybody's in LA's playing this f--kin' record, and I'm sick of it.!' It was a little bit of an acknowledgment and a little bit taking the piss, because we had the same management but you know, they're very droll, Fagen in particular."

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 7, 2023 20:56

Eagles is a band I heard enough of on the radio and never bought. I understand the perceived pros and cons of the band...However...The 2004 Farewell I film from Melbourne is one of the finest RnR films I have ever seen. It is wonderfully shot. The camera is where it should be. The band looks and sounds great. The guitars are enormously effective. Highly recommended. The decision to wrap it up is the correct one IMO. The loss of Frey was catastrophic. He was the playful antidote to Henley's glumness.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: July 7, 2023 23:30

Irv just doesn’t want it to be over. He lost Fleetwood Mac, so keep beating the old war horse for every last buck. They all looked bored as hell——-even Walsh after Glen was gone.

Date: July 7, 2023 23:42

crholmstrom
roryfaninva

The History of the Eagles tour show I saw was excellent. It was towards the end og the tour. No Felder but still great. Joe Walsh was mind blowing.

Mind blowing at what?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2023 00:03

TornAndFried
tatters

"Everything You Did" is an angry song directed at an ex-lover. The line, "Turn up the Eagles; the neighbors are listening" has become the mythologized in rock. Steely Dan admired the Eagles, and the group's had the same manager: Irving Azoff. The duo has been coy about the line, but legend has it that Walter Becker's girlfriend loved the Eagles and played them all the time, which bothered him a bit. One day they got in a fight, and he came up with that line.

I just gave that song a fresh listen after admittedly having not heard it in many years, and I was actually quite shocked at just what an angry song it really is. Not only is the protagonist threatening to murder his cheating partner's lover, he is, also, by the time the song ends, threatening to sexually assault her (now you're gonna do me everything you did). One can easily imagine the scene; a man shouting, glass shattering, furniture being smashed, while all the while an Eagles record, of all things, plays quietly on a turntable in their "happy home." It just never occurred to me that the Eagles reference was ever meant to be anything other than ironic.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: July 8, 2023 00:04

Oh my guess would be playing guitar? I love Joe Walsh, the Eagles reunion in 94 saved his life and he has taken full advantage. I do have a question about the upcoming 4 year farewell tour. Is Deacon Frey a part of it?

Date: July 8, 2023 00:13

masseywinos
Oh my guess would be playing guitar? I love Joe Walsh, the Eagles reunion in 94 saved his life and he has taken full advantage. I do have a question about the upcoming 4 year farewell tour. Is Deacon Frey a part of it?

From what I understand. He won’t be there

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home